1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water damage - What is the best course of action

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by stevemcelroy, Sep 14, 2013.

1. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey all - Just wanted to see if I might get some advice. My father-in-law has a problem with his hybrid Highlander. We are out in Boulder and my in-laws had some very minor flooding in their home office - overall we all were incredibly lucky. I helped out the last couple of days, but this morning my father and brother in law decided to pull the carpet and haul it to the dump. They placed the soaking carpet in the back of the Highlander and hauled it to the dump. On the way back the car died and they left it parked on the street a few blocks from home. The dealer recommended that they let the car sit for a few hours and then see if it will start.

Anyone have any thoughts above and beyond this? Thanks.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The dealer's thinking is that something got wet that shouldn't have, and hoping letting it dry out will fix it. Is the battery under the cargo floor? If so, removing the cover to it should let it dry out faster.I wouldn't try drying anything electrical looking with a towel.

Also, open the windows if possible. Or leave the windows closed, close the vents, and put tubs with litter crystals in the cabin. It's the same stuff as in those desiccant packs. In either case, a fan to move the air around will speed up any drying

stevemcelroy likes this.
  3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did it die with lots of warning lights, or did it just cease to move? A soaked carpet (and guessing underpad too) can hold many many gallons of water. Lots of that is now inside the car. It was really silly to move wet carpet. When it happens you throw it outside to dry out, then haul away later or do it right in a trailer.

The HiHi is basically the lower trim RX450h/RX400h that we have. The battery is located similar to the Prius, under the rear passenger seats. Basically directly below where all that soaked water was going. Most likely one of the ECUs that sits around it got shorted out, less likely the battery itself. It might actually still be swimming in a pool of water because it takes a lot of water to do something like this. Take out the false floor so you can see the metal battery case, keep a window cracked and let it dry out completely.

[​IMG]

stevemcelroy likes this.
  4. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks. Had I been here I hope that I would have realized this, but who knows. Right now the car is parked on the street a few blocks from the in-laws home. The windows are rolled up as storms are still going through the area.

From what I understand they were driving back from the dump and all the lights went off. They pulled over and turned off the car and they have been unable to start it back up.

I'm going to meet them at the car in the morning. Hopefully it will be ok. If not my in-laws will need to figure out someplace to take it. I'm sure that they will want to go to the dealer. I have mentioned Bolder Hybrid, but I've only been in town for 3 weeks and have no first hand experience with them. If it were my parents I'd feel more comfortable recommending them - has anyone out there interacted with them before?