1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water pump change and ICE coolant bleeding

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mpg9999, Jan 3, 2014.

1. mpg9999

mpg9999 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I brought my wife's 07 prius to the dealer today to have a bad TPMS sensor replaced, as well as the ICE and inverter coolant. They called to tell me that the water pump was leaking and quoted me 475. I declined, and told them to hold off on the ICE coolant change as well. I inspected the pump when I got home and this is what it looks like:

[​IMG]

Sure enough, it looks like dried coolant. I did not however find any wet spots. Thoughts on whether or not it's actually bad?

The reason I took it to the dealer in the first place is I didn't want to deal with bleeding the coolant after changing it. However, for the price of the work on the water pump I might just suck it up and do it. So, I have a qustion:

I already own the Uview 550000 ( ). I've read some accounts on here saying they still had issues using the tool. For those who have done it, was the Uview enough to completely bleed the system, or did you have to us some other method as well. If so, what method did you use to get all of the air out of the systm?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How much dried coolant do you find on the air conditioner compressor below the engine coolant pump?

How fast is the coolant dropping? Check the coolant level in the radiator, not just the overflow container.

If the coolant is not dropping very fast, then you can wait until the spring. If you notice the coolant level dropping daily then you should replace the pump soon.