1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water sloshing sound when turning?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusVancouver, Nov 19, 2007.

1. PriusVancouver

PriusVancouver Junior Member

After my car has sat in the rain for a small amount of time, when I start moving again and then turn, I hear a sound like water sloshing around inside the chassis of the car. It will happen once, then stop unless I sit still for a while in the rain.

Is this a normal function of rain water being guttered after falling on the chassis and then drained? If not normal, does anyone have an explanation or experience regarding this?

Thanks.
    Adrian.

2. phil.albericci

phil.albericci New Member

Adrian

Not going to be a helpful reply, but I get exactly the same after the car has been standing in moderate or heavy rain. Don't think its linked to the engine cooling system (see "gurgling noise" post by ggarman). It can occur a minute or so after ICE start, it seems to be linked to cornering, and it only happens once per journey.

I think it's rainwater trapped in some internal drainage channels. These may be blocked, perhaps by leaves as I do park under trees. I don't worry about it too much (until the body rusts through....)

Any more comments / advice would be gratefully received!

Phil

(Prius owner 18 months; avg mileage 58 UK mpg)

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My guess is that you park your car outside under trees.

The sloshing sound is water moving from side to side in the reservoir which holds windshield water run-off . . . the drain holes are clogged.

For a quick confirmation:
    1) Open the hood to the engine compartment.
    2) On the passenger side, toward the back, under the windshield, is a rectangular cover with air slots and screening. Pop this off from either the left or right side (very easy to do with just your fingernails if they are long and strong enough).
    3) Look inside at the bottom back. If you see a bunch of gunk but no drain hole . . . it's clogged.
    4) There is another drain hole on the driver side, but it is not as easy to get to.

Check out earlier posts of mine for pictures . . .
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&show...st&p=446515

. . . and this thread I started on the subject. The pictures were lost due to one of the Great PriusChat Crashes, but the directions on how to clean the driver side is still there. (some day I will clean my drain holes again, take more pictures and re-upload them)
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=22839

Why Toyota made the drain holes that small, and made access to the one on the driver side - I DON'T KNOW - but I feel it is a design flaw as I get the water sloshing sound several times a year to remind me to clean out the drain holes. <_<

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The plastic panel at the base of the windscreen can catch water and will slosh out to the sides when you go around a corner. This is better than the water running over the engine.

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You've got this problem.
    Refer to cowl removal instructions here to pull the plastic if you
    want to do a more thorough cleanout job...
    _H*

6. PriusVancouver

PriusVancouver Junior Member

Hobbit was correct. Luckily it was only the easy one on the passenger side that needed cleaning. Quickly popped out the plastic cover, scraped out the rotting leaf type material and dirt and all was well.

Thanks!

7. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the same problem that started recently (Either I didn't have this problem in the last 4 years or didn't notice it). PC is awesome! Removing leaves/gunk from the passenger side drain was really easy even for me. I think this is the first time I even opened the hood. :rolleyes:

1. Leaves
    2. Removing the plastic thingy (super easy)
    3. Clogged drain and accumulated water. I was able to put my entire hand through (I have a skinny wrist :D) and unclog the drain. Water went gushing through.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done!

9. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks! I was wondering what that slice of removable piece was for.

I put some mesh to cover the large openings at the two ends of the plastic cowl cover, hoping to block these largest entry points for leaves:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ng/71909-diary-wimpy-diyer-2.html#post1193787

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When removed, you can see the VIN stamped into the bulkhead.

11. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Patrick, it was a photo you posted that helped me a lot. Even after opening the plastic thingy I couldn't see the drain because it was so clogged. If I hadn't seen your photo I wouldn't know there was a drain there.

12. striker308

striker308 Three time Prius owner

Evans, NY (USA) / South Williamsport, PA (USA)
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    could be that or like I found on mine after heavy rains the 12V battery area has about 3" of standing water in it.

there is a small soft plug/gromet in the back left corner of the battery area, drill a hole in the center and it solves this problem.

13. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Would be nice to fix the source of the leak in addition to draining it though. Just my 2 cents.

14. striker308

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I agree if you can find it, I don't know where to even start since you would have to be able to see through the back deck to see it.

15. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    People have found leak through the rear light housing seal, also various seals and weld points along the hatch seam. Maybe on a dry day spraying the back with garden hose would help finding the leak. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  16. striker308

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

If we ever get a dry day in in western NY I'll try that.