1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weekend highway trip Columbus OH to Buffalo - MPG report

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by managerman, May 19, 2012.

1. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Weekend highway trip Columbus OH to Buffalo - MPG report (Final UPDATE)

The entire family, sans dogs, are taking a trip from Columbus Ohio to Buffalo New York to visit some family. This will be the first long highway trip in the new C!

It will be interesting to see how the MPG is affected by the additional weight of 3 more passengers (adding about 450 pounds) and the hatchback storage full of luggage and a set of golf clubs (another 100 pounds).

Tire pressures are set at 42/40

First Update:

After the first part of the trip yesterday, I was very impressed with the C. The weather was sunny and temps ranged from 75-80 degrees. Some wind but it did not seem to bad. I stuck to speed limits the whole way. 65 on interstates (which was 95% of the miles). I was able to draft a couple of big rigs along the way (safely...let's not get into that debate)..but most were going slower than me so I had to pass them..I was averaging above 55 MPG until we hit I-90 in PA...the roads seemed very rough and noisy which I think caused higher rolling resistance and caused the MPG to drop a little...here are the quick stats after I stopped the car at our first waypoint. So far I think the car is amazing...EPA 46 hwy....not.

Another interesting note: I was in ECO mode the whole way with the AC on the entire time set to 74 degrees....At a later date, I plan to investigate more about the effects of AC in the C with my Scanguage....

I will update after another 300-400 miles of travel today....

Second and Final Update:

Had to come back to Columbus late on Saturday night....left around 9:00pm arrived home at 2:30am. The weather was clear and temps in the high 50's low 60's...Again..I went speed limit the entire way, 65 MPH. No air conditioning was used. This time around the mileage was less..50.9 as indicated by the trip computer. The entire trip of 700 miles netted out 52.7 MPG...which translated into 51.5 actual. Based on this trip here are a few of my conclusions/thoughts:

1.) Air temp made a difference on MPG...My trip to Buffalo was done with temps in the mid to low 80's, trip home was done with temps from high 50's to low 60's

2.) Effect of using AC on MPG in Prius C needs to be investigated further....I think the effect is less in the C due to the fact the entire system is electric....and when on the freeway the car is managing the traction battery to maintain a SOC of 60%....I also measured, via scangauge, the draw of the AC....I measured the AMP xgauge value which shows me the current draw to and from the battery.

While parked...in ECO mode

AMP Reading with no AC with radio and DRL on is 1.5-2.0 amps
    AMP Reading with AC on full blast with radio and DRL ranged from 13.0- 15.0 amps
    AMP Reading after cabin is cooled down with radio and DRL 6.0-9.0 amps...

While driving in EV mode vs Parked, the AC draw is about the same and when driving with ICE on....it is very hard to tell if the AC has any effect since the car manages the current flow to and from the battery so well. Maybe monitoring the instant MPG gauge at the same time would yield some more info...?

So my assumptions are: that the biggest hit using the air conditioning is when the ICE is NOT running since it will discharge the traction battery at a much greater rate....which will force the ICE to run more frequently when the battery hits 40%...thereby lowering MPG. On the highway....not much hit on MPG. To be continued...

3.) An extra 500 pounds has pro's and cons's.

Pro's

Lowered the car slightly for better aerodynamics?
    More inertia...allowed for longer glides when I had the chance

Con's

More weight more power to get up to speed = Lower MPG
    Grumpy teenager's in the back seats (who actaully admitted later that the seats were not bad, but it was tough to sleep back there....)
    Took much longer and more friction brakes to slow the car.

That's my report and my thoughts...hope it helps give some more insight into Prius C Highway driving.

-M

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  2. PriusCinBlack

PriusCinBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Wow- that is surprisingly good mpg at 65mph, especially with the AC on! You must be doing something right, keep it up!

1 person likes this.
  3. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks! I just updated the first post with final observations.

-M

4. PriusCinBlack

PriusCinBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I've also noticed that having more people/weight in the car leads to longer glides at higher speeds and can really help gain more mpg in that way once you get up to speed on the freeway. I.E.- concentrate on figuring out ways to glide when you have more weight in the car. With less weight (just the driver), find ways to reduce air drag.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for monitoring the AC amp consumption. I generally only watch the instantaneous mpg. It's very significant until the cabin cools down then it is only a loss of 1-2mpg. Interestingly, when I turned on the AC when ambient temp was 70F and the AC was set at 72F the system barely registered a loss. I am not 100% sure the car was fully warmed up at the time, however, as I had only been on the road for 2min or so.

I'm assuming you've read my thread on AC usage?
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-fuel-economy/97814-how-reduce-mpg-loss-because-c-use.html

6. jhknight

jhknight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, Prius C drivetrain similar to my 2002 Prius. I have often observed up to 55mpg at 65mph in my 2002 Prius but only under ideal conditions; no wind or tail wind, flat smooth road. Just rented a 2011 Prius 3rd gen on a trip to Yellowstone and observed it drop to 38 mpg at 70mph with a strong headwind, and up to 50mpg at 75mph with no wind. just for comparison.
    What I'd really like to know is the comfort of a Prius C on a long trip???

7. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Well....I had a full car.

I am only 5'6" my wife and daughter are 5'1" and my son is 5'9"....
    Me, My wife, and two teenage kids...Wife and I thought the seats in the PC3 were very comfortable for a 5 hour trip...Kids thought they were comfy in the back, but were not comfortable trying to sleep. Leg room for the kids was adequate. My back was fine throughout the trip...I did miss the adjustable lumbar I had in my Infiniti....

Hope that helps..

-M

8. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the trip info. I may be taking a trip towards the end of the month to visit my parents in Arkansas. 2200 miles round trip. Do you think 42/40 psi makes for a harsh ride in your C? I have that in mine now and may drop it to 40/38 for awhile.

9. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Another trip back to Buffalo this weekend! Just for my wife and daughter. My wife did a great job and really got great MPG...She set the cruise for 67 and this was the result on the first part of the trip. I will update on Sunday for overall trip mileage! I am very happy to see that the car is getting much better hwy mpg than EPA.... :)

-M

[​IMG]

UPDATE:

Here are the final trip Stats for this past weekends trip......I love this car!!!

[​IMG]