1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird ICE action while waiting at red light

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Former Member 68813, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The engine is fairly hot after driving 2 miles in hot weather. Waiting a minute or longer for green light. No A/C or fan. Battery is 3/4 full (judging by number of bars). Windows fully open to cool the cabin. My foot is on the brake. The ICE suddenly starts and turns off at the same time. I had the car for near 3 years and this is the first time.
    Comments?

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Might have been a hot battery, or some call for cooling in the hybrid system. Even a hot ICE can call for cooling.

3. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The more I think about it, it was either ECU fart or an abortive case of unintended acceleration.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It's not unusual. I've seen it in both Pearl (GII) and Pearl S (GIII). I wouldn't call it a glitch, I'd call it normal operation.
    Remember, it's not the coolant temp that's monitored if the A/C is off, it's the cat temp. It's possible it was on the edge and drifted down causing the engine to start, then drifted up, causing it to shut down.

5. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It was like:

Engine ECU: "Temperature is dropping! I'm going to start the engine now to warm up back to operational temp !"
    Body ECU: "Wait a little ! Stop that engine! We are not moving and outside temperature is high"
    Battery ECU: "Yes, stop it now, I'm almost full ! "
    Traction ECU: "I confirm, the brakes are on, we are not moving. Somebody tell that Engine ECU do not panic!"
    :)

- Alex

6. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL!!!

7. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jacek,
    I have occasionally noticed quick on/off or off/on ICE cycles when stopped. I couldn't tell you if they were with or without A/C or fan on.