1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird steering "pin" click noise, one year after steering shaft recall. Video.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by yibo829, Apr 24, 2014.

1. yibo829

yibo829 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I have no idea if this is even a problem, but I've been noticing this one single "metallic" click sound a few months ago, it happens whenever I turn the steering wheel a little over 90 degrees.
    The steering intermediate shaft recall has been done summer of last year. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this sound I'm hearing.

This is a video I made

If you watch this video, you need to turn it up really loud to hear the faint click sound every time I turn the steering wheel past 90 degrees.

It happens at exactly 00:04 to 00:05 seconds; 00:20 to 00:21 seconds, 00:25 seconds, and 00:30 seconds. It basically happens every time I turn the steering wheel past 90 degrees. A few times it's not audible in the video because of background noise. I can hear this one click sound when I'm driving around, especially when it's quiet outside.

I guess another way to describe this sound is like a pin flicking sound.

Thanks for your help.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not really hearing it. If its pertaining to the recall I would get put the recorder under the car right under the TSB shaft repair area. Then you'll be able to hear it better if under there. Maybe the rack.

I do hear like a crunch and if right behind the steering wheel thats usually something with the spiral clock spring.
    If the Inter shaft tsb was performed by inexperienced tech they sometimes neglect to affix the steering wheel so it won't freewheel more than 360 and if wheel not locked down they can absent mindlessly turn the shaft below and then it reaches the end of the clock spring and stresses it. Causing failure soon down the road. Seen a few of those posted here.

Are all the tactile buttons working on the steering wheel?

3. yibo829

yibo829 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    You know, when you mentioned the spiral clock spring, the sound does sound like a spring of some sort. This will be something I can discuss with the dealership tomorrow.

And yes, the buttons do work.