1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

West Nile Virus vs Global Warming

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Aug 23, 2012.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ordinarily I would not cite this source but even a 'blind pig finds an acorn now and then:'
    Source: U.S. health officials brace for spike in West Nile cases – USATODAY.com

I've long been aware of the impact for northern migration of warm weather critters. Here is one of the more credible sources of popular news:
    Source: Climate change: Species climbing higher and migrating north, study says - CSMonitor.com

Using critters as a historical temperature analog is risky when a single species is used. A single gene mutation and all bets are off but this is mitigated by using multiple species. A genetic change increasing the temperature range is unlikely to happen concurrently across multiple species. Still, we can thank Lysenko who proved crop species have maximum temperature ranges . . . and filled a lot of graves.

Bob Wilson

2. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    FWIW West Nile Virus cases have jumped in the USA with about half of them in Texas. The CDC thinks it will spike in August to September and then drop off as temperatures drop. Biologist are already connecting the trend toward increase global temperatures with a shift in animal habitat and migratory behavior, e.g. fish, whales, sharks, seals, birds, and polar bears. As climate changes become more or less permanent expect changes in the fauna.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Lysenko did that? "Even a blind pig..."

But seriously, the ecological literature presents many examples of plants and animals that are migrating rapidly, others slowly. etc. It really is the flavor of the month, research wise.

But this is a WNV thread so I hope it fills up with new information about that. After the Dallas spraying there has not been much mention in the media that I watch.

Virus found in all states except Vermont (per wiki) which makes me think that the Vermonters are just not looking hard enough :)

If you encounter a dead bird, no touchee...