1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What are the risks of buying a 2017 Prius with only 15,000 miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by M123, Mar 22, 2024.

1. M123

M123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the opportunity to buy a neighbor's Prius. He's an older gentleman who has reached the point of no longer driving himself. His 2017 Prius 4 only has 15,000 miles, and nearly 100% of that has been in-town (not highway) driving. I regularly put 20,000+ miles per year on my 2013 Prius, so it would be quite a lifestyle change for this new one. I've searched the forums for people's thoughts on the risks of low mileage cars in terms of future battery life, etc. but haven't seen anything conclusive. I'm curious for your thoughts on this decision: would you by this 2017 Prius if it was a decent price? Are there hidden risks that need to be heavily weighed? Thanks!

2. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    100% I'd buy this car. I'd be prepared to swap out the 12V battery and tires possibly, if you can't determine if/when they were ever changed. That's all I've ever done, except for routine 10K oil changes, engine and cabin air filters, in our 2016 with 78K miles.

Doug McC, Georgina Rudkus and M123 like this.
  3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Me, too. Great find!

My 2012 Prius v has not reached 32k miles and everything is working just fine. I've only done regular oil changes, replaced the coolant, and 12 volt battery in 12 years.

The HV battery still charges to its full capacity. I monitor the 12volt, the ICE coolant temperature, the inverter coolant temp, and the HV battery temp with a Scangauge 2. The temps have never been above normal.

Scan Gauge 2.JPG

Doug McC and M123 like this.
  4. PriAllDay

PriAllDay New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Probably not much of a risk - just remember what Miles don't do to a car Time does - so go down the maintenance list and ensure its done - Luck and enjoy

M123 and bisco like this.
  5. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I'd buy.

Risks? Where it "sat" or was stored and area weather conditions.

FWIW
    Typically older low mile vehicles have motor and suspension rubber seal deterioration from no use.
    In this case, the car was driven about 200 miles a month... so okay to me.
    If in a snow zone with road salt usage, sitting with that salt could bring rust damage... so inspect the undercarriage.

As mentioned above, aged out 12v battery and tires should be replaced.
    I would also change all (all) fluids (protentional moisture accumulation and age) and lube all the hinges, caliper pins, seat tracks, weatherstrips, etc. too.

Hybrid battery, brakes, transmission, stereo, suspension.... all unknowns but I'd think all are ok with the 200 mile a month use.
    So in addition to purchase price, perhaps another $2000 (including new tires/ alignment/ balance, 12v battery/ key fob batteries, brake/coolant/trans/motor fluid changes at a shop) to recondition.

Good luck with your decision.

M123 and Doug McC like this.
  6. M123

M123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks -- it lives in southern Virginia and was garaged, so thankfully well protected from the snow/salt zone.

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  7. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I don’t see any risks, as long as you follow the advice already given. I’m sure there will be some who will claim the hybrid battery is not up to snuff, but that goes contrary to the Priuses around where I live. I think you have a shot at a gem. Go for it!

Tande and M123 like this.
  8. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Keep an eye on the exhaust gas heat exchanger. I believe the 2016 and early 2017 didn't get the redesigned one.

M123 and Brian1954 like this.