1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What exactly does allocation mean?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by marblue, Feb 19, 2010.

1. marblue

marblue New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I hope someone could clarify for me what allocation means when a car is allocated to a dealership. I ordered a Prius V in SBM in mid December with a $500 deposit. I was told that it would take approximately 5 weeks to get from Japan. Since then I spoke to the manager who told me he has put in several requests for my car only to find that it hasn't been allocated yet. Now, today my salesperson says the allocation reports are coming in tonight, Friday and will call me tomorrow and let me know if in fact it is on the report. Then, he said after it has been allocated it will be two more weeks to arrive from Japan. I have gotten conflicting information from another dealership in MA (approximately 250 miles from where I live in NYC) who has the car I want, that when a car is allocated it means that it is being built and then at least another month to arrive in the US.

I know people have waited a long time for their new Prius, and this is not a new thing especially for a pkg V. However, I need to make decisions now because I do need this car ASAP and will probably go up there and buy the one 250 miles away rather than wait another month or more which I just can't do. So my basic question is, what does it mean when a car is allocated to a dealership? Also, I fear that if I pass buy the car in Ma, I will be waiting a long time to get the one on order in NYC. Any thoughts, recommendations?

Thanks so much for listening.

2. Wiserone

Wiserone Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You know what you have to do, but it sounds like you have to hear it from someone else first.

If it is possible to back out of the first deal, do it. If it isn't, try to get your dealer to do a trade with the other dealer to get your car. Or simply go to the dealer and ask them to drop $500 from your initial deal since you "lost" your deposit.

Simply.... if you need the car now, go and get it!

Just make sure when you go to MA, they physically have the car on the lot.

I sent you a PM. Please respond.

Thanks!

3. centurion

centurion New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I ordered mine in December the same as yourself. Mine will be ready to collect next week and was built in Japan and left the production line on the 30th January.

I was given a Toyota code to track the build and shipping throughout.

So it sounds to me that your dealer is giving you the run around.

Threaten to pull out and make a lot of noise. No doubt the dealer will just magic you up some firm answers. Shame it has to take that.

4. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Do a search on allocation, there are several discussions by dealers on the topic. I know because i waited 6 months on a 2010 IV with solar roof.

Allocation is a bad joke for the customer. It basically means the dealer gets so many allocations a month, when a car is shipped from japan they hit a list if waht you want is on the list then he ca TRY and use one of his allocations to get it for you. If a bigger dealer wants it your dealer may not get it even though you may have been waiting longer the the other customer. its even possible the bigger dealer doesn't even have a customer but he wants the car for his lot.

I believe the Australians work it differently, they actually place a special order.

Good luck

PS any honest reputable dealer should refund your deposit since he doesn't have to take the car if you back out before it reaches the port in Portland Oregon.

5. marblue

marblue New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thank you all for responding. I don't think I will lose my deposit.
    This is supposedly a reputable dealership in Manhattan and after
    having waited at least 30 days for a vehicle you can get your deposit
    back without any difficulty. Moreover this is a large dealership
    that should get allocations but package V's are still difficult to get.

Thanks to all.