1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What might goes wrong after a Jump start?!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Wishes2013, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Wishes2013

Wishes2013 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All,
    I'm having my 2008 Prius for around 16 months no. Yesterday, after work I got in the car to drive home as usual, I put the key, pressed the brake pedal and the Power button, noticed that the dashboard lights come ON, I opened the four windows as it was too hot inside the car, then I noticed that the radio doesn't work and the display screen as well. I thought I haven't pressed the brake pedal enough so I pressed the power button again, and the car stopped. I tried to restart it , but with no luck, now all the windows are open and I couldn't close them and couldn't get the car starting. I pressed the lock button on the key to lock them, but it didn't do anything. I waited for around 1.5 hour till my brother and his friend came, and they said it might be the 12 V battery, once they put the charging cables between the two cars, mine started to operate. This hadn't happen to me and it was really a not nice experience.
    They told me to try it today morning, if it doesn't work, then the battery might need a replacement.

Today morning it worked fine, but I noticed that the Auto feature of the driver's window is not working and that the speedometer is giving wrong value (approx. lower by 20 K/hr).

I am not sure if other things are not working or giving wrong values, some dashboard lights for example, what do you suggest to ensure that everything is well, and is it normal for the Window Auto feature and the speedometer to malfunction after the jump start?

Thanks,
    Wishes

2. PriusInParadise

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The driver's power window needs to be initialized after loss of battery voltage. With the car in IG ON, or Ready mode, press and hold the driver's window switch down, keep it pressed for approx 2 seconds more after the window is completely open. Then lift and hold the button to closed the window, keep holding it for approx 2 seconds after the window is completely open. The Auto feature should work.
    Check to see if your speedometer is displaying MPH instead of km/h. If so, press the MPH/km/h button to change it back.
    If your 12v battery is the original, it may be near the end of its useful life.
    There are threads on how to check the battery.

Wishes2013 and uart like this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. Eddie9300

Eddie9300 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    New battery 12V all works, car does not start....

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Eddie can you elaborate? Are you asking a question? If so what are you asking.

John (Britprius)

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is this a cryptic message?

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Should that be an "a" instead of a "y".

John (Britprius)

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry john, not you, eddie. you snuck in there before me.:cool:

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    British sense of humor, no offence meant to anyone.

John (Britprius)

10. Wishes2013

Wishes2013 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

@PriusInParadis : Thanks, your note regarding the speedometer was right, and the Auto feature works fine now after following your advice.

We went to the mechanic yesterday, and he tested the battery and the alternator, the later was fine, but the battery was Un-serviceable, he said it might continue to operate the car; as his was unserviceable for more than one year, and it's still working, But it's better to replace it...and we did.

Thanks all,
    Wishes

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As a Prius owner, you should know that there is no alternator. The DC/DC converter within the inverter serves the function of the alternator by maintaining voltage on the 12V bus at around 13.8V when the Prius is READY.

Glad to hear that your car's problem was easily dealt with by replacing the 12V battery.

12. Wishes2013

Wishes2013 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the note, and i have to admit that I'm really a newbie in the car mechanics :)

wishes.

13. Eddie9300

Eddie9300 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Car is at dealer....no error codes and they are asking me......funny. Replaced the 12 volt battery, proper voltage to all relay boxes. No ready light but lights work. No instrument panel....abs seems to work when pressing brake. You can here the relay kick in. I guess they have to figure it out.......first problem in 8 years.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hope you get it resolved!(y)