1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

what (port- or) dealer-installed xtras are "priority people" getting?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by greenbirder, May 4, 2009.

1. greenbirder

greenbirder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm in south Texas & am considering getting tinted windows. Can't tell if the '10 comes with them. Anything else?

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm asking my dealer for a quote on tint, which I'm sure is a dealer add-on. I'm not in any way committed to doing it through them, but if it's an in-house job, it gives their techs a chance to look @ the car.

3. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm debating whether to let my dealer do the usual cheapo subcontracted tint job, or have it done myself at a tint shop, using whatever the latest and greatest ceramic tint is (FormulaOne Pinnacle?; Huper Optik?). I'm also considering having them do Clear Bra on the lights and front of the car (3M? Luminar?). Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on (i) the pros and cons of doing either of these things, (ii) the specific products, or (iii) tint shops in Houston?

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Supposedly there's an anti-chip on the hood, so I'm not sure about clear bra. I'm having the same debate though w/ popping for Huber Optik vs. a dealer job.

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I wanted to get the Huper Optik tint this time around but a few of the 'kids' at work said don't bother... (they're all these Infinity guys like we are Prius fanatics) It costs like 3 some places even 4 times the cost of regular tint. My reason for wanting it honestly was I don't like how some of the 'cheaper' tints have that metallic look from the outside. The ceramic tint has a clear dark tint to it minus the reflective coating found on some.

I'd say look around and see places work to see if their brand of tint has the look you want, but too many people have told me the ceramic tint is a lot of hype.

As for doing it at the dealer, why spend the extra money? Around here, for me at least, there are tons of tint shops so spending the extra through a dealer makes no sense. I have 50% now and will do 50% again. But that's here in NYC where they bust chops for tint from time to time so I dont want to chance going darker. When I was stationed in California though I would get 20% all around and loved it!

6. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Good to know. Maybe we don't need paint protection. After all the problems with cracked fog lights, I'm a little worried about protecting those and the expensive LED headlights.

One big reason quoted for ceramic is to avoid possible interference with electronics, e.g. nav, but nobody has ever reported having any problems with the normal cheap tints, so that's probably not a serious concern.

Another reason is less reflection, but I don't think I would notice the difference in looks, as long as its normal tint and not one those those silly too dark and reflective tints.

Finally, they promote the ceramics as having high heat rejection factors. If it actually works, that could be important for someone who chose not to get the sunroof.

After having a dog scratch up the tint in one of my current cars, I'm wondering if the high end products are any more scratch resistant. So far, what I've read says not really.

Can anyone comment on Huber Optik v. FormulaOne Pinnacle?

Any Houstonians want to recommend a shop? I'm planning to check out Houston Tint on Westheimer.

Maybe this topic deserves its own thread, with a title that will draw more comments.