1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What would you pay to use a public charger?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ItsNotAboutTheMoney, Apr 8, 2012.

1. evfinder

evfinder Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Your Leaf has a 3.3KW charger so a 1hr charge will get you about 10 miles of range - $4 for 10 miles of range seems pretty steep to me - equivlalent to $12 per gallon gas for a 30mpg car, or $20 gas for a PIP.

Now, if you had a choice of paying $4 a gallon at this shopping center, or $2 a gallon at the one a mile down the road, which shopping center would get your business?

Noel

2. evfinder

evfinder Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Actually there are some places where 110V makes a lot of sense. One example would be long term parking at airports. If you park for a week at the airport you can get a pretty good charge on the Tesla while it's sitting in the parking lot.

Hotels are another location that works. Most PHEV will charge overnight at 110V (3 hours for the PIP, 8 hours for the Volt) and even a Leaf will get an 80% charge in about 12 hours.

While having 220V chargers is a good idea for those that need them it can be a whole lot cheaper to install a mix of 220V and 110V chargers. You still rely on the owners to make sensible choices. If the PIP driver is going to be parked overnight at a hotel they shouldn't be hogging the 220V chargers if there are 110V chargers available. This could be managed by charging half the cost for the 110V leg since you only use half the electricity.

Unforuntally, human nature being what it is, if charging is free then people are going to tend to use the fastest charger rather than saying I just need to use the 110V.

Noel

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    ^ Good points.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think it makes good business sense to offer them for free.

5. Mx5

Mx5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The problem is that I want them to exist, I need them convenient to where I want to park. I do not know how many people are going to put them in to not make any money.

That extra 10 -20 miles would be the difference that allows me to make a complete 80 -100 mile trip for $4 -$8

No charge available Means that I have to take the ICE and will cost me allot more.