1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Whats the deal with the Entune app?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Jimbo69ny, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Im picking up my car later this week but the dealer let me borrow it for 24 hours. That has given me a little time to play with the Entune app on my Android.

I registered on the Entune toyota website and I linked my pandora account to it.

The problems Ive noticed so far.
    1. I dont have an option for remote climate or charge management. Ive read that I need to sign up somewhere else too. What do I have to do? Is there something more I need to do for these to work?
    2. The app runs all the time on my cell phone. Ive noticed my battery life has decreased which Im not happy about. The app is constantly saying things like "Stopped" and "Not connected". I have also had to re-enter my log in info many many times through out the day. That is extremely annoying!
    3. Today I also noticed that it wouldnt connect at all on my way to work. My phone said it was connected via bluetooth but the car said it wasnt. So I had no cell phone and pandora capabilities.

Am I doing something wrong or is Entune and the Android Entune app just that bad?

UPDATE: The system is now up and running however I have a few concerns Im hoping to remedy...

I have a 3 HUGE annoyances with the system though. (These are taken from my post below)

1. Anytime I want to check the status of my car I have to re-enter my log in info on the Entune app on my cell.
    2. Then, if I want to check charging status or activate remote climate I have to enter my 4 number passcode twice.
    3. If I want to use any of the apps in my car I have to again, log into the app on my cell phone.

That is so annoying! The app is always running on my cell phone and eating battery life yet i have to log in anytime I want to do something? Is there a way to solve any of these problems? How often do you guys use the remote app? If this is how it is, I cant imagine using it very often.

2. jbrad4

jbrad4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You have to log into the Toyota Entune site and enter your VIN # for the remote climate and charge management to work. Also the car has to off and locked for the remote climate to work. The "Stopped" and "Not Connected" is because the Bluetooth on your phone is not on or too far away to talk to your car. Again you may have to enter your VIN # for this to work.
    Added: Make sure your Bluetooth on your phone is paired to your car. You will have to do this for the hands free phone operation in your car.

3. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I did that already. I dont have the remote climate or charge options on the app on my cell phone at all.

Does the car have to be within bluetooth range of my cell phone to work?

4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Is the car that you borrowed a 2012 PiP and advance tech package?

5. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    yes and yes

6. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    IIRC, Dianne had to set up some kind of number from Toyota before I could get into Entune/Safety Connect. So it is likely that you will need to wait until after you've purchased the car.

When you sign all the paperwork, be sure you sign one for Toyota Safety Connect. Your dealer can get you signed up on the spot, and give you a passcode. It'll be something with lots of numbers and letters that looks like a software license code.

You input that info along with the VIN, then sign up for the level of options you want - from none to all.

Take your smartphone or iPad with you, and you can get it set up before you leave the dealer.

7. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok I was wondering if I had to purchase the car first. I did read something about the sos sytem. Ill have to wait i guess.

8. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It will all work once you input the code from Toyota. For your Safety Connect sign up, you will need to choose a password and a challenge question answer and an emergency contact. I'm not sure if the Safety Connect service is a three year deal like Entune.

9. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok I picked up the car today. They set me up with safety connect on the computer but its still not working.

When I tap find charging locations while in the car it says I must add this vehicle.

There really should be a sticky or instructions on how to set all of this up.

10. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It finally started working around 11 pm last night. I noticed on the Entune website that I needed to enter a Safety Connect account number. The dealership never gave it to me and never told me what I had to do. I called Safety Connects phone number and spoke with a rep, she looked up my number and I activated it online.

I have a 3 HUGE annoyances with the system though.

1. Anytime I want to check the status of my car I have to re-enter my log in info on the Entune app on my cell.
    2. Then, if I want to check charging status or activate remote climate I have to enter my 4 number passcode twice.
    3. If I want to use any of the apps in my car I have to again, log into the app on my cell phone.

That is so annoying! The app is always running on my cell phone and eating battery life yet i have to log in anytime I want to do something? Is there a way to solve any of these problems? How often do you guys use the remote app? If this is how it is, I cant imagine using it very often.

11. flash

flash Long time lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I use Entune with an Iphone 4gs. It works sometimes, doesn't work others. I agree with the 3 annoyances you have. I'm sure that I must be doing something wrong, but at the same time it really shouldn't be this difficult.

12. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I ran into the problem with Entune running on my android phone all the time, too. I guess I'm not in the demographic, but I just don't see the need for what it offers, at least in my base model. My solution was to uninstall it from my phone and use Bluetooth for handsfree phone capability and the usb port for my iPod Touch. Entune keeps asking me if I want to install an app for the iPod, saying it won't work properly without it. However, it works just fine, with steering wheel controls and album info, etc on the display.
    The one thing Entune offers that might interest me is Traffic, but I get that from my cellphone and a Magellan GPS unit, so haven't bothered with it so far. I didn't install the update they sent me either.

13. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I use the advanced apps on a Droid. I never log out from the Entune app. When I want to use the charge or location feature, I enter the 4-digit code. I don't know if the iOS version works differently. iOS users seem to be having lots of problems with Entune.

14. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I never log out either. But it still asks me to log in anytime I need to check the status of my car.

15. blakemster

blakemster Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Wow, I have been waiting on the sidelines with this whole Entune thing. My phone does all the non Entune related things (minus reading me my emails and text). I actually love the way it performs in the car, calls music, contact pictures ... It's great. I have been thinking of upgrading my old cell and start using some of the benefits of Entune. Seems like the Entune sucks. I read pages and pages of reviews on the Entune andriod app review and it seems likes its over rated?

16. bilofsky

bilofsky Privolting Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Only 3?

How about:

4. Entune stays in the notification bar. It should only be there when it has something quite unusual or important to say, like charge interrupted.

But I haven't noticed #1, and it only asks for the passcode once per operation (still a pain), not twice.