1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's this piece called?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bmparent, Sep 5, 2014.

1. bmparent

bmparent Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So here's a still from a Youtube vid about installing headlights. During my headlight install yesterday, I discovered that this piece is missing from my car. Should I care? Is it important and what's it called so I can buy a new one? It lives on the passenger side of the engine, and slides up and out for removal; it's the top part of some sort of tube/intake hose/duct thing. Right in front of the washer fluid tank. In the video, this guy says that his check engine light came on from driving without this piece.
    thanks for being a great forum! I'm learning so much and saving so much money! part.PNG

2. wa-chiss

wa-chiss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's just an intake piece. I'd say if it's missing, don't worry too much. Nothing plugs into it and you car doesn't even know it's not there.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The engine air intake enters via that piece. The air path continues down into a translucent plastic resonator that is located in the fender well, then proceeds up to the duct that feeds the engine air cleaner housing.

So if that piece is missing, you'll need to consider what happens when you are driving in the rain and hit a large puddle of water. Will your front passenger tire kick water up in such a way as to flood the air intake?

dorunron likes this.
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Well, that is one way to find out if water improves fuel economy.

dorunron likes this.
  5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Looks like part # 11, $22.69. Might need part #12, $.88, Duct Clip. LINK
    Assumed you have a 2007 BASE Prius. Parts might be identical for a TOURING.
    You can search for other genuine Toyota dealers selling parts online, that are closer to you, thereby having cheaper shipping fees.

Contact Steve at Autobeyours, for used parts pricing. If his are expensive, let him know what new costs, and maybe he'll adjust accordingly.

bmparent likes this.
  6. bmparent

bmparent Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks exstudent, very helpful with the link and all. I might as well cough up a little money for this strange little part, I figure it was put there for a reason...and a cheap easy install can be so satisfying!

7. wa-chiss

wa-chiss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Look, I'm not saying it's not needed, but it's not something to rush out and worry about any harm coming from not having one. The intake does pull it's air from this piece. However, the intake pulling air from 6" below where this piece is, will make NO difference in performance, no change in sound, and NO CEL will come on due to this missing. Even without it, the air's path still goes past the baffle tank in the fender well. Also, the remaining hose that this piece connects to covers the hole where the baffle is, and with a fender liner, minimal water gets up into that area. Definitely less than anything I would worry about unless you're crossing a river or something.

bmparent likes this.