1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

wheel bearing noise, not necessarily opposite side

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ea77, Jul 8, 2014.

1. ea77

ea77 Junior Member

Just wanted to make a note to those who are figuring out a wheel bearing noise.

The bad wheel bearing is not necessarily the opposite side you turn in.

Been having rumbling noise occur when slightly turning the steering wheel left (from 12 to 11 o'clock position) On or off the throttle.

So changed the passenger wheel bearing. Noise persisted and clearly heard on drivers side, changed drivers side today. No more noise.

Just wanted to mention this because of all my searches ppl always point to faulty bearing as the one opposite from the direction you're turning. From my own personal experience it is not always the case.

2. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was the same on mine. Thought it was the other side, but lucky we checked the bearings on both whilst up on ramp

ea77 likes this.
  3. ea77

ea77 Junior Member

Good to hear. I'm not the only one.

Not a bad thing to change both bearings. Not necessary. But lesson learned that it's not always the opposite side.

Even on a hoist it can be difficult to tell the bad bearing. The car is not loaded the same way as on the road.

Another thing,

Looking a various hub bearing assemblies, the Koyo aftermarket one looks very much like the Toyota OEM one with the rubber edge and all. Of the aftermarket ones, I think this is closest to factory. Toyota OEM part uses Koyo bearing.

4. robert mencl

robert mencl Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I don't use a lift, but a floor jack and pick up one font wheel and leave the other one on the ground, have a helper listen...then do the other side. Don't rev too much, the diff is working overtime.

ea77 likes this.
  5. walpoleauto

walpoleauto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If you are doing it yourself, you should take the extra time and do both sides at the same time. When we service the front assemblies, 50% of the gen 2 Prius are making noise on both sides. For an extra $50, you mine as well do both. Last thing you want is to change one, drop it, drive and say damnit, I changed the wrong one.

ea77 likes this.