1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When u cancelled the extended warranty, do you get the sales tax refund too?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by NewPriusC, Aug 14, 2013.

1. NewPriusC

NewPriusC New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I spoke the the Toyota warranty dept they said will send me a full refund of the warranty amount but not the sales tax. They said dealership incharge collecting the sales tax so i need to call the dealership. Then I called dealership they claim they are not able to refund the sales tax since they already paid to the NJ state. Is this legal to do that ??

2. garm

garm mpg + cool = win

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Doesn't sound right. Also, a warranty is a service, not a tangible good, so there shouldn't be sales tax on it?
    On my tax forms, I can claim as a deduction "excessive tax collected". I'm in CA, don't know how different it might be in your state.

3. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    If they did add taxes to it, they need to refund it back as well. Would be no different than buying something at a store and returning it. You haven't used it, so you get it all back. If it's outside your 30 days, they prorate you and you get the remainder back.

4. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    More Stealership B/S to keep as much of your money as possible. I didn't pay taxes on my contract.
    What was the amount paid for the contract and what was the refund amount ????? By law, they need to refund 100% (y)

5. Bigboi

Bigboi Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Wish I can help, it's been almost 2 months since I refunded my warranty through the dealership and they're still processing the request so I don't know if sales tax is refunded :(