1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where to plug cell phone charger?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by thejoker, Jul 6, 2006.

1. thejoker

thejoker New Member

I don't have a Bluetooth phone. I have a "regular" cell phone. There doesn't seem to be a good place to plug my phone charger in, keeping it attached to the phone and making a call. When I plug the phone in to the accessory outlet near the passenger's left knee, the charger cord isn't long enough to hold the phone to my ear so the cord comes snapping out, hitting the passenger. When I plug the phone in to the accessory outlet that is in the center console (between the driver's seat and the passenger's seat), I find it very annoying that I can't close the console lid, while keeping the phone plugged in and to my ear. I've been thinking about drilling a hole in the center console! I vaguely think there might be one more accessory outlet in the rear but I don't think the charger cord is long enough to reach my ear and remain plugged in. What on earth are people doing in such circumstances? This must be a common pet-peeve yet I've seen nothing about it in any of the forums.

2. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thejoker @ Jul 5 2006, 11:03 PM) [snapback]281860[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Joker,

Please update your profile so we know what year and package we are dealing with (I assume a 2006 from some of your information).

Many people have added an additional "always on" outlet...usually in that center cover to the left of the factory outlet. You should be able to wire one up by daisy chaining it from the stock one. If you want it to have 12v all the time, you can get a kit through power outlet mod

If you search through some old threads you can find a bunch on this subject.

Goodluck!

3. thejoker

thejoker New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 6 2006, 02:17 AM) [snapback]281869[/snapback]</div>

Sorry to barrage you...

I have updated the profile w/the info I know. I "joined" prior to getting an '06 Prius, and never updated the profile.

I checked out http://www.coastaletech.com/power_outlet_mod.htm. This doesn't accomplish my objective. And I can't see how daisy-chaining would accomplish that objective either. I don't need an always-on 12V accessory outlet. I need an outlet that is close enough to my ear such that my phone charger cord will reach but I don't want to use the outlet in the center console because the f'ing lid won't close over the cord.

What do you suggest I search on? I'm pretty sure I tried "cell phone charger," "cell phone accessory," and "cell phone accessory outlet."

4. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thejoker @ Jul 6 2006, 02:03 AM) [snapback]281860[/snapback]</div>
    Why can't you close the console lid with a cable sticking out? There is a fairly large gap between the bottom of the lid and the console box. I often have cables coming out of the console to power stuff in the back seat for my daughter. And the lid closes just fine.

I suppose a coiled cable, such as might be on a cell phone charger cable might be a bit of a pain, but if that's the problem, get an extension cord for the power outlet at Radio Shack, which will have a flat (uncoiled) cable, have it stick out of the console, plug your cell phone charger into it, and then push the connectors where the charger cable plugs into the extension cord, between the passenger seat and the console. Voila!

As an alternative, zip tie the extension cord's outlet to the one of the bars below the passenger head rest, with the extension cord running behind the passenger seat and plug in your cell phone there. This would get it closer to your ear, but would also be more visible. But not too visible if you do it right.

5. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

If your phone has the capability, you might try:

1) Using a headset that plugs into the phone. All of my non-bluetooth phones came with one. That will give you more distance between the phone and your ear.

2) Using the speaker. My new phone has that capability, but I do not remember if my old ones did.

Other that that, your best bet is to get a phone cord extension as was suggested.

You may also want to consider getting an upgraded phone with bluetooth capability. If you need to use your phone a lot when driving (and it sounds like you might), you will appreciate this feature a lot.

Good luck, :)

6. berylrb

berylrb Member

Yep, Lil Mo, has really the best solution! for all the effort you'll go through to make your existing phone work, you can get:
    1. a new bluetooth phone if your contract is up for free.
    2. eBay for a phone like the old but steady t616 which is probably $15
    3. Radio Shack has bluetooth adapters, check it out right there before buying too!

Pairing is a snap with SE phones. The other day I had erased all my pairings and started over, got in the Prius, and my w600i kept wanting to connect with the car, I said no twice and on the third time went on and connected, it asked me, wow!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thejoker @ Jul 6 2006, 01:03 AM) [snapback]281860[/snapback]</div>
    Well Yeah, I don't mean to be a prude or anything, but this is what Toyota is trying to do keep you from doing, having these type of distractions while driving, that's why the best solution is using their steering wheel handsfree features and the outlets for charging. So I wouldn't be too hard on Toyota, but I understand your frustration! ;)

Now out the otherside of my mouth, your cord distraction isn't that much more than my dialing with one hand while driving distraction, or monitoring the MDF to check on the arrows, or ... so I chastise myself too. :rolleyes:

7. thejoker

thejoker New Member

Thanks for all the useful advice. I'll investigate an extension cord; didn't even think that something like this might exist.

Marlin guessed right. (Sorry to have made you guess.) I do have a coiled phone charger cord and the lid can't close on that type of cord. It didn't occur to me that it would close on a flatter/smaller cord. (I confirmed that the lid has no problem closing on a flat headset cord.)

I'll convert to a Bluetooth-capable phone when the contract is up. That's a good idea.

Berylb - you needn't worry about my talking and driving! The issue is that I use my phone a lot during the day (when not driving) and need to charge it up when I am driving. Occasionally when I am in my card I need to make a call or I get a call, and there's no good way to talk on the phone and have it plugged into the charger. (This is true whether I continue to drive or whether I pull over to talk.) I've snapped the passenger's knee with the charger cord a few times putting the phone to my ear.

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thejoker @ Jul 5 2006, 11:03 PM) [snapback]281860[/snapback]</div>
    This is gonna be a real dumb question......

Are you able to get a larger battery so you won't have to keep it plugged in while driving? I mean, I have a BT phone, so I don't share your problem, but I've only had to plug it in once or twice when I forget to charge it at home.

9. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thejoker @ Jul 6 2006, 03:36 PM) [snapback]282196[/snapback]</div>
    I can't even tell you how much I enjoy using my bluetooth phone in my Prius. You may want to see how much it would be to upgrade your phone. My Slvr's charge lasts for over a day and I just leave it in my pocket. When the car is on it is connected. The only thing I don't like is that my Slvr won't transmit songs over to the car so I can listen. If I want to do that I have to shut the bluetooth off and plug it into the jack.