1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

which code reader or scanner

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Agape, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Can someone recommend me affordable (yet able to handle the task) code reader or scanner ?

My current hardware is:
    - laptop with windows 8.1
    - smartphone with android (Ice cream sandwich)

I prefer the machine which is portable and not too many wires (e.g. with wifi or Bluetooth connectivity)

I don't know about scangauge if it is capable of reading all the codes or not (I know that it is handy for reading RPM's, engine temperature etc. it's nice feature is that you mount it and it is sitting there).

I had some issues with hv's battery fan running to often (I have since replaced 12V battery and I didn't monitor it since).
    I have some oil consumption issues. members here recommended to keep rpm's under 2,500 and such tool would be nice to monitor these.
    I also want to monitor engine temperature.
    Eventually I expect engine failure or HV failure, I would like to be able to troubleshoot these and be able of to replace individual module of HV or swap the engine and correct code-reader seem no brainer here. I just want to prepare myself.
    I turned 200,000km so troubles are waiting to expose.

any advice, input would be appreciated.
    Agape

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think the best tool for your requirements is the Mini VCI with Techstream software £23 on Ebay. This gives near dealer level of diagnostics at a very cheap price. It can be made to run on Windows 8.1 using XP virtual machine,or by following instructions posted by "3prongpaul".
    I use an ancient IBM laptop with XP loaded bought for £20, "rather than risk damaging my house machine loaded with Windows 7" and gets over the minor difficulties of getting the program to run on W 7/8.
    For purely monitoring purposes I use an ELM327 (blue tooth version) and Priidash (free). This gives a dashboard readout of just about every perrameter available, and records HV battery module voltages and other information to a file.

John (Britprius)

Agape likes this.
  3. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only problem with Mini VCI is that it will require laptop.
    I am mostly on the move and if it happen that I suspect a trouble then I will be keen to know the issue immediately. I am kind of thinking of getting ELM327 first and Android App, this way I can at ease and no time just plug the device and try to read data.

Mayby ELM327 and Torque App...

Mini VCI is really nice, I am still confused.
    more regarding Mini VCI and Wind 7/8 compatibility:
    just found this:
    http://priuschat.com/threads/mini-vci-working-on-win-7-or-8.132413/

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/150824-solution-mini-vci-toyota-tis-techstream-8-x-windows-7-8-64-bit.html

4. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    for a simplicity of use.

May I ask, have you purchased two at the same time or started with one and then added another one for additional functionality?

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I started with the ELM 327, but wanted the ability to bleed the brakes to change the fluid among other things.
    Then one day I was in Birmingham picking up a HID kit from an Ebay advertiser and spotted the mini VCI on sale there. So I bought one. Very pleased with it, the last job I did with it a few days ago was to set the AC compressor not to come on automatically when demisting the windscreen, "something the dealer said could not be done".
    This works on most Toyota's and will also work on most cars for emission faults that have the standard OBD connector. With adapter connectors it will work on BMW and Mercedes.

John.

6. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You confusing my mind more and more.
    I wonder if there are significant discrepancies between the two pieces of the equipment.

It seems that two are needed :)

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The ELM 327 is designed to be an OBD reader engine for emissions DTC's. There is an international agreement on the standards for these codes and the methods of delivering them for engines, but not transmissions and other items. OP "2009Prius" along with others developed a program to be able to use the ELM to display virtually all the information available at the OBD port on the gen2 Prius "Priidash".
    The Mini VCI is a Chinese clone of a more expensive device called a Mongoose. This device with Toyota's Techstream software is what dealers use for reading codes, fault finding, and carrying out service tasks to the range of Toyota cars, covering all aspects not just the engine and emissions. This means it is capable of almost anything that the dealer can do. The dealers in the UK will typically charge £80 to read any trouble codes, more than 3 times the price of buying a Mini VCI.

John (Britprius)

Agape likes this.
  8. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ordered Mini VCI from ebay €17 +p&p

9. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Scangauge is good for realtime dash monitoring of upto 4 different parameters in the genII, example: I use btv,mpg,rpm,soc.. as far as reading any DTC's it will only read eng ecu standard codes not the hybrid stuff. For that I've been using autoenginuity scantool & dongle and software, been using that since genI days and now the genII with updated toyota enhanced interface it also works great for anything. I use it on a 1.2ghz laptop running winXP. Sure wish it would work in linux but that's a whole nother can of worms..Anyway already got the toyota enhanced interface and software running then to add another family like FORD, just buy that enhanced interface and they give the key to unlock it. The software contains all NA/EU you merely unlock the different interfaces you purchased. I now have 3 Toyota, Chevy and Ford including the diesels. Handy but must have laptop and pay 475+ for software but once u have it, very easy to add on and superior diagnostics capabilities and data recording. For instance I can record all hv battery module voltages and then played them back later on a spreadsheet chart, or how about mg1 current mg2 current and mg1temp and mg2 temp etc etc.. nice