1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who to choose for Refurbished HV battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kouki420, Jun 16, 2014.

1. kouki420

kouki420 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hey guys im new here. I picked up my 07 prius back in October of last year. The PO replaced the hv battery with a rebuilt one before so that was my reason for buying. He included a receipt which had about 6 months left for the warranty. I drove the car 120 miles everyday with no problems at all until Christmas came. The hv battery went bad. I called the number on the receipt and it said that number was unavailable. Scam? Well, I looked everywhere for someone that rebuild hybrid batteries. I found a guy in Charlotte, NC. He came down and replaced it for me. All the lights were gone and I was a happy camper. Last week, the 3 lights came on and the battery fan came on also. I have warranty on this battery, but the guy wants to charge $500 to come down here (250 for shipping & 250 for installing), even though Im an hour away. He said that none of his rebuilt batteries go bad for awhile. He does this for a living, has a legit shop, and a bunch of invoices from just doing batteries. Was this too good to be true? Why did the battery go bad after 6.5 months? Should I just go on ebay? What do you guys recommend? I don't feel like forking money over if the battery doesn't even last long.

Thanks.

I am mechanically declined. It looked easy when the guy replaced the battery. About 45 mins from start to finish. I should had bought a new battery and installed it myself, but being a full time student and part time worker takes a toll.

Toyota Prius Hybrid Battery Rebuilt 2004 2005 2006 2007 2 Warranty 3rd Gen | eBay

Im thinking about saving to do this. Legit?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If your car is just starting to have these symptoms, you should be able to drive 1 hour with it. I would drive it for an hour and swap the battery out, give him $250.

This again would be a band-aid replacement. I would refrain from using this guy once his warranty runs out.

I see many rebuilding ads on craigslist, now I know how they make their money. Warranty the battery, but charge $500 for every failure.....which happens 2 or 3 times a year.

3. Epiphany2000

Epiphany2000 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Seems to me that the 2 replacement HV batteries were not properly tested & balanced. It is easy to just test individual module voltages & replace the ones with low voltage, but this is a recipe for another impending failure.

I'd suggest either buying a new battery from Toyota or finding a place that refurbishes batteries properly (although this is difficult to verify). If you have space, time, and some electrical knowledge/inclination, you might consider getting a new or refurbished battery, keeping you current battery, and refurbishing it yourself.

4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  5. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    okcwxguy, Cindy19851 and usnavystgc like this.
  7. kouki420

kouki420 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well it looks like I will try and meet the guy at the shop tomorrow. Hopefully I will make it up there with no problems.

8. kouki420

kouki420 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Or I could just take my old battery out and bring it to him, but he says per warranty rules that he can only do that. What sup with that?

9. kouki420

kouki420 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is true I guess. I now see more ads about ppl doing this then 6 months ago when I replaced mine.

10. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    This ain't your average "car battery".
    It is ~300 volts, IIRC, and is dangerous to you and the battery and the car to have an amateur messing with it.

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    dorman has a very good video on swapping out a battery. Best one I've seen. On their site dormanhybrid.com

12. kouki420

kouki420 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I understand that, but I am mechanically inclined. The guy literally took 2 mins to swap batteries after taking all the trim/plastics out. He just disconnected the main power plug to it and done deal. He told me once you disconnect that, no power should be present. Of course, the 12v is disconnected also.

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can't believe the prices of salvage batteries now, looking in my area at car-parts.com, most salvage yards want $1000 plus core. Nuts.

14. kouki420

kouki420 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    True, that was what I was thinking about doing. In the long term, I don't think its a good idea. I was surprised how many came up after typing in what I needed at car-part.com

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    These places are no longer selling salvaged batteries if they want your core, they are now rebuilders......and most likely they are not good at their job, switching out modules only. I would avoid the yards that want a core back.

16. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    There is always power present inside the battery assembly.
    While they may have done a good job shielding it, it is IMPOSSIBLE to make it completely idiot proof.

Not implying anything about YOU when saying that, of course !! ;)

17. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I would avoid all YARDS.

But how would a legitimate refurbish'er stay in business very long without collecting "cores" ??

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can understand a refurbish'er collecting cores, however a salvage yard normally list information on where the part comes from. ex. 2008 prius with 90k miles blah blah. If they are collecting cores, there is no way in hell that information is true.

19. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You are overlooking the very real possibility that they are selling BOTH salvaged (relatively new) and older rebuilt batteries.......properly labeled as to which is which, of course. :)

20. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    each car is different in some ways. each pack is also different in some ways.
    sometimes a rebalanced pack will last for years and sometimes like in this case it does not.

there are other things in the car besides the cells in the pack that will turn on the dash lights.
    have you scanned for the trouble codes yet?