1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why are there so many 2012 Plug In Prius leftovers, and...

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Jonas Studebaker, Nov 4, 2012.

1. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    NJ (all of it, North & South) is in the New York Region. Pennsylvania is in the Central Atlantic Region.

Not every dealer participates in every incentive.

Under NJ sales tax law if a merchant reduces the sales price the buyer pays tax on the reduced price. This is why tax is calculated on the negotiated selling price, not MSRP.

Rebates offered by the manufacturer are payments to the buyer. Usually the buyer assigns them to the dealer resulting in less cash paid at the time of sale. A buyer could receive a check from the manufacturer but why bother?

The reduced sales tax rate (3.5%) of an Urban Enterprise Zone DOES NOT apply to the purchase price of the car. It does apply to the other stuff the dealer sells. Ask the dealer to remove the accessories from the car (lowering the car's selling price) and buy through the Parts Dept. (lowering the sales tax). I don't have any experience with this & haven't heard of anyone trying. Anyone try in Vineland?

2. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    AFAIK with TFS, these are NOT payments to the buyer, they are down payments on your loan, and that is why you're REQUIRED to finance the car and do NOT get these incentives if you pay in cash.

3. yogadoc

yogadoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

all true, but you can pay off the loan in full after 3 payments, with no penalty.

4. gring40

gring40 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As to OP's question, part of the answer might lie with the inability of a lot of the most natural potential owners (big city apartment and condo dwellers) to have access to charging facilities at home. This is a must for plug-in ownership, and practically impossible to do for most.

5. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    PlugShare - Find Charging Stations for Electric Cars!

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh No...you were my main influence as far as holding onto the 2006, it is still so nice.

Good luck on the position!

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Haha. Wow. We'll see if I get the position. It's not the end of the world if I don't.

Where it's located is on the edge of being too far for me (due to the traffic). Most places of the tech companies around here are ~30 miles away from home, at max. There are some in SF, but that's nuts. I couldn't that at 60 miles each way.

If I do get the PiP, I'm worried the standard stereo will be a significant step backwards in sound quality from the JBL "premium" stereo in mine. I hate to spend $ on aftermarket stereos as I've had my cars broken into before and an aftermarket stereo stolen from my old Camry before (stock radio died).

8. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to get too sidetracked here, but my understanding is that it doesn't really make sense to replace the stereo anyway; what really makes a difference is adding sound deadening material everywhere and replacing the speakers themselves.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Good to know. Will investigate if I end up going that route. It's highly unlikely I'd want to pay the big $ for the advanced model. It's too much $ for a car w/a Prius badge.

10. Germwise

Germwise Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Five
    what if Toyota is trying to sell off its 2012 stock because 2013s will have a major improvement such as mproved software or bigger battery to compete with c max energii??????

11. Marcus T

Marcus T Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The lease on my 2010 Gen 3 is up in a few months. Wanted to upgrade to a 2012 PIP (base model) and went to several dealers in northern NJ over the last two months when TFS was offering $3,500 off. Best deal I got was $3,500 down with 36 months at $290 OTD including TTL and Gap insurance. Thought it was too much down so waited for better incentives. Lo and behold, Nov 6 comes around and TFS now has $4,000 off and $259 for 36 mo lease (not incl TTL and Gap obviously). Went back to the dealer with the $290 offer and asked if they could do a little better now that TFS offered a little more. Was shocked to hear they now wanted $344 for 36 mo including TTL and Gap. Does this sound crazy or is it just me? Also, they only had two PIP Base model when first offered $290 and now they have three! Doesn't seem like they're "flying off the shelf" in NJ either. If I wasn't going to do it at $290 I sure as heck ain't doing it at $344! Hurricane related maybe?

12. Germwise

Germwise Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Five
    gas shortages may push drivers to PIP short term?

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! 2 or 3 isn't enough for them to want to deal. look around on the net for dealers with 15 or 20 in stock and see if they are intrested. all the best!

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not. but they do want to make room for the 13's which are exactly the same. and they don't need to compete with the cmax until it proves itself. that gives them plenty of time for a redesign in 2015.

15. Marcus T

Marcus T Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the advice. I see several in North NJ with more than 3 so I might just do that.

Does anyone think I was nuts for not accepting $3,500 down and $290/36 mo OTD PIP Base model when it was originally offered several months ago? Was it really a good deal and now a "more accurate" price is being quoted?

16. Germwise

Germwise Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Five
    I don't know the answer to your specific question but I would say that the dealers want your money just as much as you want the PIP. Email around, play dealers against each other. As we get closer to the end of the month, dealers will also be more likely to work with you.

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Marcus- fyi there are several threads here where people talk about recent PiP prices.
    Most people reporting here have been buying PiP's vs. lease, and according to my scorecard, the best deal in NJ was around $27500 before TTL and that would be Prius Chat member El Dobro who lives in your territory. I think he has even given the dealer name in some posts, perhaps North Brunswick is location. I think that Sept Oct 2012 was a great time to buy a PiP at discount prices, but I cannot judge your specific lease deal, sounds to me like you may not have gotten the best quote that was out there...so good move holding off. If low cost is your thing, you need to find a dealer giving you the best possible deal...some do not. Current status we are waiting for new purchase reports post Nov. 5 sales expiration to see if the Sept/Oct deals are still out there.

PS- some people have been traveling great distances to get a good price on a PiP part of this is price shopping and part of this is PiP is only offered in 14 states (or is it 15?).

18. Marcus T

Marcus T Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Come to think of it, my $290 quote was at the end of September. Guess I also need to wait until the end of November to get best possible deal. If all 2012 Base PIP's are gone by then, just wasn't meant to be. Then again, local Ford dealer shows CMAX COMPACT ENERGI SEL in stock. Couldn't hurt to test drive that while I wait on Toyota! Competition is certainly a good thing when it comes to electric vehicles (20 > 10 for sure).

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Totally your call, but not sure why you are waiting the PiP supply and good deals are possibly dwindling as Sandy impact damaged some at the port in NJ.

20. Marcus T

Marcus T Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That was my original question. Why did TFS even offer better deals in North NJ on 11/6 if supply was hurt by Hurricane? Doesn't seem like dealers are willing to pass new TFS savings on to potential customers. Hope that's not the case and it's just too early in month to get best deals. In the meantime, Toyota isn't the only electric option anymore. Biggest reason I want to lease vs buy is 10-12 ev miles is very low. Gen 4 PIP (2015?) needs to get at least 20 to compete with Ford and others. And by then, even 20 might be too low!