1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

wierd total electrical failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by flutediva, Oct 28, 2007.

1. flutediva

flutediva New Member

Yesterday, I went to the beach and when I tried to start my 2005 Prius, nothing happened. The doors were unlocked, I couldn't lock them, key wouldn't release from the ignition, couldn't roll up my windows. I had to have it towed to a secure parking lot until the dealership opens tomorrow. Has anybody had anything like this happen? Any idea whats wrong?

2. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    dead 12v aux battery sounds likely. Did you leave a door open or a light on?

3. flutediva

flutediva New Member

No, I was inside the car for about an hour, but the doors were closed, lights were off. I turned it on once during that time to roll down the windows then I turned it off again.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Are you still on the original 12V battery? It sounds like it's time for a new one.

Tom

5. IndyDoug

IndyDoug New Member

Possibly a UFO was nearby affecting the electrical system in your Prius.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(flutediva @ Oct 28 2007, 01:06 PM) [snapback]531615[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm, I'd bet a quarter that you didn't actually turn it OFF, but instead to ACC and ran down the 12V battery.

7. flutediva

flutediva New Member

I hope everyone is right and its just the battery, the small one....Thanks.

8. PriusLove

PriusLove New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(flutediva @ Oct 28 2007, 07:53 PM) [snapback]531734[/snapback]</div>
    I call it the Prius Freakout. I've seen it three times on our 04. Once we went the route of having the car towed (Toyota replaced a processor unit then).

It happened again when we ran completely out of gas, and again when I left the key in my purse on the floorboard of the car, and tried to lock it with the outside door button. It gave me a warning beep, but I ignored it, and the Smart Key system went screwy.

The first thing to keep in mind, when you can't get your key out of the lock is that your foot has to be on the brake in order for the keypod to be released. After that, take the manual key out and use it to close and lock/unlock the doors. That resets the SKS somehow. At least, it has worked for us the last two time.

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If this 12V battery is drained once it's usually still useable, but if it gets drained twice it's never right again. So be careful.

10. wyounger

wyounger New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Do you drive with your lights on? Did you open the driver's door after you turned it off and before you sat for an hour?

The auto-off feature on Toyota headlights only takes effect once you turn off the car AND open the driver's door. Otherwise you can sit in the driver's seat and happily drain your battery.

Do you drive with your lights on? Did you open the driver's door after you turned it off and before you sat for an hour?

The auto-off feature on Toyota headlights only takes effect once you turn off the car AND open the driver's door. Otherwise you can sit in the driver's seat and happily drain your battery.