1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will the car be full of gas AND full of juice?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by John in LB, Nov 23, 2011.

1. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    A good dealership will usually fill the car up with gas upon delivery.

So, does that mean that when we get delivery of our PiP, we should expect not only a tank full of gas, but also a fully charged up battery? (good to go for the first 15 miles...)

Hmmmm.... I wonder what the etiquette of the situation is?

2. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

I bet when you pick your car up from Dianne the car will be waiting with a full tank, topped off battery, and a warm blueberry muffin :)

3. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In addition, I heard mention of even a gas card (pre-order group) ... at Dianne's....Carson Toyota

It will depend on the dealer... as they say YEMVYour Experience May Vary

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You would think so. I don't think I've ever gotten either Prius with 2 bars showing.

5. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh PA LEEEESE.....

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's going to depend on the dealership.
    Unfortunately with a great majority of them their main goal seems to be to get YOU to sign on the dotted line, and everything else becomes an afterthought.

In investigating and shopping for Prius, I found enough dealership "experts" that could barely figure out how to start a regular Prius, excuse my cynacism, but expecting them to have it charged and ready? Well, I'm sure it will happen....but I'm equally sure at some dealerships...it won't.

7. Roadburner440

Roadburner440 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Depends on how long it takes to do all the paperwork. With the Volt it had a full charge, but 1 gallon of gas. The Chevrolet dealership did top our Prius off 3 times though for us having to go there to redo the paperworka couple times, so I cannot complain. Only reason the Volt did not get topped off the day we bought it is cause service was closed, and the pump was shut off. So my advice to everyone is don't be dumb like me and got at 5pm to buy a car. Go early in the morning so you can actually leave before they are supposed to close. LOL

8. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Blueberry muffin!? LOL
    I'm NOT doing a poll to see what kind of muffin!?

We're planning to have full fuel tanks and full charges UNLESS for some reason, Toyota advises against it at the first.

9. Roadburner440

Roadburner440 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't see why Toyota would advise against it.. At some point customers will take it home, and charge it anyway. The day I drove my Volt home we completely depleted the battery, and fully charged it up with no ill effects. PHEV's don't really have any special precautions compared to normal hybrids. You just have the ability to charge them, or not if you choose not to. Granted that does defeat the purpose in spening the extra money.

10. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I also don't see any reason at all not to juice them all either - but I haven't yet seen any operating or delivery instructions from the Mother Ship... so I can say w/o a hesitation that we will gas them all to the top. And, we have charging stations happening shortly... so I'll say I will follow factory instructions to a T!

1 person likes this.
  11. Roadburner440

Roadburner440 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is good your dealership is getting the charging station installed... That is probably my biggest complaint with Chevrolet. Is that the dealers were not required to install 240 charging. So the first dealer I went to told me tough luck on the charge, and offered for me to come back another day cause they would have to use the 120V..... I thought it funny a low volume dealer out in the farm lands had a 240V charger installed though, and were a lot more hospitable about it all. At least Toyota and Nissan know that customers want the faster charging. Will have to go see the PiP's whenever they come out. I think all dealerships will be sold out for awhile though. Went to go see a v the other day, and it was already sold right after rolling off the truck.

12. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just noticed that the gas tank on the plug-in is smaller 10.6 vs 11.9 Gallons.

Fill ups could get frequent, given the bladder (will we still have one?)

Right now, we fill up with 9 or 10 gallons. Assuming a long drive (without at home plugging in; we would be filling up 7.5 - 9 gallons? Range at that point would be somewhere between 320 and 400.... (assuming ~45 MPG)... hmmmm, not as nice as before....

Oh well....

13. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I expect my fill-ups to be much less frequent because I expect many miles to be driven on pure EV (many short trips). If you always drive 300+ miles without plugging in multiple times, you really should consider getting the regular Prius (non-plug-in) instead.

14. Roadburner440

Roadburner440 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Be grateful the PiP still has over 10 gallons, and not an 8 gallon tank like the Volt (with only about 6.5-7 usable gallons). When we drove our regular gas Prius and the Volt from Florida to VA the Prius almost went all the way on 1 tank of gas (with the usual 10.2 refill, and my extra gallon pump after the click).. We had to stop 3 times to gas up the Volt in the same distance. The third time was when we got in to town because all the low fuel warnings were illuminated, lol. Not to mention the PiP will get better gas mileage anyway, so I do not think having 1 gallon less will be that big of a deal in PiP. How often do we really burn up the gas in our Prii now? I know I can go multiple weeks or sometimes a month. So that 1 gallon will maybe mean you refill a few days sooner, but with the 15 miles pure EV you will most likely end up filling up less than you do now.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bladder-free since 2010.

that's only 50-80 miles more on the highway. It's not too bad.

16. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As noted on the window sticker, all new cars are supposed to come with a full tank of gas. One would hope that this would extend to the battery bank as well.