1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wind and highway speeds

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Jason254, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Jason254

Jason254 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    On windy days I find it a bear to drive my Prius C at highway speeds. Anything 55 and up it just doesn't handle well. In the suspension section at the priusaccessory site there are many Tanabe/Cusco suspension upgrades one can try. But will any help the car fight the wind? I find it handles pretty well, so I'm not looking to help it hug turns so much as be more stable and less prone to get knocked around so easily.

Also, are any of these upgrades recommended to do together? For example I can't believe it would be a good idea to install front sway bars without the back ones, and vice versa.

thanks,

-Jason

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! i have read that better tyres will help as well. all the best!(y)

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, a large gyro(scope) will help. :p

Seriously, adding chassis braces will help for wind buffeting.

SCH-I535

ztanos likes this.
  4. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Adding a rear sway bar helps tremendously

ztanos likes this.
  5. citroenjohn

citroenjohn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You're going to think me crazy and most of us old truck drivers are, but, sometimes it's as simple as loosening your grip on the steering wheel when it's windy. Believe it or not, holding onto the steering wheel very tightly can increase the discomfort level and anxiety some drivers experience in windy conditions. I taught students how to drive tractor trailers for nearly 25 years and this advice usually worked for my students who experienced wind buffeting, note I said usually.

mnaf likes this.
  6. JGriffin

JGriffin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just to clarify a bit, your C already has a front anti-sway bar, but not a back one. There should be no danger in adding one that I can think of, though I've admittedly not added one to my car (it will be the first thing I add, however, because the one available for the C has gotten lots of great feedback here).

7. Bentg

Bentg Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Which one are you referring to?

8. Jason254

Jason254 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for all the responses! Outside of a gyroscope, it sounds like a rear sway bar and chassis brace is the way to go.

Here is the writeup from the front sway bar:
    Engineered by Cusco, running a solid Prius c sway bar (vs the hollow bar you have now) will effortlessly take you around the turns without any hesitation or body roll nonsense. Cusco's Prius c Front Sway Bars are 26mm thick.

Does anyone know if replacing the hollow front sway bar with a thicker one will make any difference?

Also, for chassis flex which is better, the center brace or the two point under brace? Also is the "strut tower brace + strut bar" worth trying?

thanks again,

-Jason

9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jason
    Greetings and Welcome!
    If you have less than 5,000 miles in the car you may want to drive it for a while before tinkering with braces and unnecessarily replacing tires.
    The steering in Priuses is electrically assisted and it leaves you with something of an X-Box 360 feel for the road.
    If you're driving in dirty air, you can get knocked around a little bit but I found that I very quickly got used to it in my G3.

Priuses can feel a little twitchy at first at interstate speeds, but they're not in the least way unstable or dangerous for interstate duty---even the Priussy.

Good Luck!!

I don't think that you're crazy at all, since it works the same way for motorcycles. ;)

JGriffin likes this.
  10. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Not crazy at all.

A LOT of what drivers perceive as being "blown around" by the wind is really just the driver being over-sensitive to the sounds and feel of wind gusts, then over-reacting and over-correcting.

Of course, when you mention that to any one specific driver he immediately dismisses it because it is obviously impossible that HE could be doing that. ;)

The bigger side profile a vehicle has the worse the "real" problem IS.
    A full size panel van with no load is probably the worst vehicle on the road for wind stability but even that is not really too bad for a properly trained and experienced driver.
    Small and light vehicles suffer from the problem a bit more but all the visual and auditory "clues" make the situation seem worse than it really IS.

If you really want to see what nasty cross winds are, try riding a motorcycle down a 2 lane road with a 40 MPH gusty crosswind while meeting semi's going the opposite way at about 60 MPH. :eek:

11. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I would recommend the whiteline adjustable or the trd, both from the yaris.

12. JGriffin

JGriffin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the correction, I forgot it was produced as a Yaris part. Am I mistaken in thinking the TRD bar needed a modification to fit?

13. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    A member on the yaris forums just sold one to the prius c and installed it for them. Supposedly no issues at all. Bolt right on.

I myself ran the whiteline.

JGriffin likes this.
  14. Jason254

Jason254 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for all the responses. I am going to save up and get the Whiteline rear sway bar and use it on the soft setting. I found the thread "whiteline-sway-bar-installed-and-tested" on this site and after reading it I'm pretty convinced it will make my highway driving experience better.

You have all been helpful!

thanks,

-Jason

15. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Please let us know the results.

16. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1

17. Jason254

Jason254 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I will definitely let you know the results. However I am beginning to think my tires may be in play. The dealership put them to 37psi all round. Toyota recommends 35 front, 33 rear. I know many go up to 42 front 40 rear to maximize mileage, but in my case I would prefer a little more grip. I think I'll go 34 front 32 rear and see how that goes. It shouldn't affect the mileage I have been getting so far and I'll see if it'll give me a little more traction/stability.

18. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    BAD idea.
    Running less than recommended almost always results in uneven tire wear.
    I personally would not run above 40 but also not below 35.
    I have personally screwed myself to the tune of several hundred dollars by running the pressure too low.

19. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    What results do you want to know? Several members including myself have/had this bar and have posted their thoughts on it.

20. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ford tried that once.
    It didn't work out so well for them.
    Firestone and Ford tire controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This resulted in part with my having to pay for a TPMS for any new car that I might want to buy whether or not I'm smart enough to monitor my tire pressure.
    Of course.....I have to share PUBLIC roads with morons who NEVER check their tires!
    Darwinism can be a little sloppy about what genetic material gets edited out of the pool and so I'm generally happy that my cars have TPMS. :eek:

FWIW, it seems that you are monitoring your tire pressures, and I don't think that 10-percent plus or minus is going to make your car explode....but I also don't think that you're going to see sudden stability (perceived or actual) when you venture out onto the highways and byways.

Your car.
    Your call. :)

Good Luck!