1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window Film Road Noise Reduction

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by aridon99, Aug 6, 2005.

1. aridon99

aridon99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've been following every thread on road noise reduction very closely. Tadashi's Dynamat thread was great, but I'm always looking for ways to take it one step further. I have hear of window film mentioned in a few posts as possible ways to reduce noise, but always thought folks were just joking around. Then while doing some searching on the Internet tonight, I found this product.

http://www.solutiaautomotive.com/en/lgi/noise.aspx
    http://www.solutiaautomotive.com/pages/lgi...gi/vanceva.aspx

Has anyone heard of this stuff and where can I get some for my Prius :)

2. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think what you have stumbled upon is a product designed for OEM's. It appears to be a glazing (glass) manufacturer that specializes in laminate glazings with a special type of material in the center of the glass. This technology has actually been around for some time in the residential and commercial markets and it looks like it is now becoming available in the automotive world.

If you are serious in wanting any useful noise reduction from the windows, I would look at having some security type film applied. This stuff is much thicker and denser than standard window tint and should offer some reduction in outside noise. How much reduction it offers is just a guess until someone actually does it.

I have thought about doing this to my Prius but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Too many other projects going on...

Good luck and if you do have this done, please report your findings.

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

3. aridon99

aridon99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks Brian for the heads up. Now to look for some heavy duty window tint :)

From the information I've gleamed from these and other forums, it seems the huber optik tint is thicker (and harder to work with) than most average tints. I wonder if this stuff has any effect on noise.

Also, as a side note, I came across this link last night where this Corvette driver noticed a 'day and night' difference when he installed Duct Insulation all over his car.

http://mikemercury.home.att.net/sound.htm

I wonder if anyone has ever compared the effectiveness of Duct Insulation against the likes of Dynamat or B-Quiet. I think the cost of B-Quiet is very reasonable, just wondering which one would work better.

4. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That guy buys a Corvette and wants it to be quiet? He should have bought a Lexus!!!

5. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The direction that I am going is to find a dealer that installs security type film which has good UV rejection numbers and see if that can be installed on the Prius.

I still do not know if this is possible due to the slight curvature on the passenger windows and it might be near impossible on the hatch due to the large curve in it. The thicker the film material, the worse it does when there are curves present.

The duct installation works okay but the B-Quiet or Dynamat is a much better product. My suggestion would be to ONLY do the doors and skip the floor or roof. I did my entire Prius including the floor and IMO it was unnecessary. The factory already applies quite a bit of damping material on the floor and it is a major PITA to do!! :)

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks!!

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

6. aridon99

aridon99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Brian, how much did it cost you to do the doors with B-Quiet/Dynamat? Also, how long did it take?

7. SyZyGy

SyZyGy New Member

And did it make a difference?

8. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I purchased 2 rolls of the B-quiet ultimate. Each roll is 50 sqft and I believe I paid aprox 120 dollars for each roll.

I went slow so I would say I spent about an hour on each door. Once you do one, your speed increases as you become more comfortable with applying the material.

Just be careful when you remove the door panels. There are quite a few little fastners that you can break if you are not careful.

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

9. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes!! By applying the B-Quiet material in all of the doors made the biggest difference regarding noise reduction.

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

10. Danimal

Danimal New Member

why is there a noise issue in the first place, is there an absence in noise deadening material to save weight? i dont seem to understand the source of the problem.