1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

window tinting and Toyota's warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Southbound, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Southbound

Southbound Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm toying w/idea of getting some tinting done on my 2013 Winter Grey II. I really like this color alot and think it would look pretty sharp w/ tinted windows. My question is if I do this will/would it void some portion of the warranty d/t the alteration made? If it would, than I won't do it.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No Trouble with the Warranty in the US. Be very certain about all the laws of the places you drive.

Tint Laws

3. Southbound

Southbound Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the reply; that I'm aware of. I'm guessing any reputable out fits would guide me.

4. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I don't have tint myself, but I've never seen anyone here mention that a tint shop cautioned them against installing illegal tint. You got the cash, they got the tint!

5. glen68

glen68 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I tinted the previous car I owned and before I did they showed me the darkest they could do by state law before I decided. They said they could do what I want but I would have to sign a waiver if I wanted it darker then state law

SPH-L710 ?

ftl likes this.
  6. Southbound

Southbound Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think I'll check out state law and cost, than make a decision.

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It doesn't really work that way in states like California, NY, etc. where it's technically illegal to put any tint on the side windows as they're already factory tinted ~75% in the glass. They'll just suggest the lightest shade you can safely get away with or otherwise they won't be able to stay in business.

Of course it's easy for members who live in states with more liberal tint laws to flash the illegal card while thumbing their nose at us for being able to tint legally themselves.