1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

windows won't go up!.. help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by windstrings, Jun 7, 2006.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 9 2006, 06:54 PM) [snapback]268961[/snapback]</div>

A Key?... I remember those!.. am I dateing myself?

2. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Jun 9 2006, 07:22 PM) [snapback]268974[/snapback]</div>
    CREAK...yes...CREAK :eek:

3. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jun 9 2006, 05:46 PM) [snapback]268925[/snapback]</div>
    Talk about dating yourself...I remember when the manual window handle on the driver's side fell off one of my cars...the VW Bug (a '69 that I purchased in '79) or was that the Pinto ('75)? or both?...had to get the darn thing reattached...

4. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gilahiker @ Jun 9 2006, 08:12 PM) [snapback]269003[/snapback]</div>
    Hell--I learned how to drive a stick on a Pinto..live dangerously, eh? :eek:

5. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hi Windstrings....

Remember this post?

"When I lower my front drivers windows "or passenger for that matter", it sometimes wants to go all the way down unless I hit the up button at which time it wants to go all the way back up or just stop.

I usually want to lower it to a measured level, but it has a mind of its own?

Other times it seems to respond just the way I want it.. in other words.. it goes down as I push the button and stops when I release it?

Why does it sometimes have a mind of its own and other times let me control it?

Sometimes its very hard to get it to do what I want.... anybody know whats up?..or is mine just being funky?

I have two 06 prius's and they both respond the same.. I assume its normal.

If it is, I would sure like to know a way to reprogram it.

Thanks....."

Maybe you played with it sooooo much that you made the window GODs angry at you!

6. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jun 10 2006, 10:53 PM) [snapback]269425[/snapback]</div>
    Different car.... that was my Barcelona.. the problem here is with my wifes Silver pine mica... but I didn't play with it to try and fix it.. it didnt' take much to see it wasnt' working...

7. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Jun 11 2006, 06:54 AM) [snapback]269471[/snapback]</div>

Why don't you have them take the one out of your car and put it in her car to make sure that it is the problem? That way you wouldn't have to wait for the part to come in if they find that it really isn't that module. I guess it depends on how nice they are to whether they would even venture to try that.

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jun 11 2006, 09:51 AM) [snapback]269550[/snapback]</div>

They may laugh at that request!... I guess it buried pretty deep underneath the drivers dach and hard to get to.....I don't want them screwing with my car anyway since everything works perfectly.... better off letting them mess with hers until they fix it....

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Anyway.... they said it was an intermittent "normally open" IC of some sort... we got the part and installed it and all is well....
    A rare issue.

10. GasGuzzler87

GasGuzzler87 New Member

see if this works. Try resetting th ewindow ECU (this is how you do it on Mazdas)hold the window down button for 3 to 5 seconds on all the windows, then one-by-one try and make them come back up. what that does is, by holding down long enough, the car knows the windows are all the way down. If it thinks they're already up, nothing would happen.

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GasGuzzler87 @ Jun 21 2006, 01:37 AM) [snapback]274551[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting... well its fixed now, but I can keep that in mind if it ever does it again.

You mean hold them "all" down at once for 3 to 5 seconds?

I think that is a recalibration procedure isn't it, so the car knows all the windows are down and so also will know when to stop applying the up power once they hit the top?

I would think if it were that easy, the tech would have tried it.
    He did do something that made it work, but he wouldn't guarantee it would work again if I tired to use it until the new part was in.

Boy.. my warranty already paid off!.. that little issue would have cost 800.00!!!
    Nutso!!!!! :wacko:

NOT a good idea to risk no warranty on a prius!!!!

I will definately be getting the extended warranty a bit later on.