1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by David Beale, Mar 6, 2014.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    OK, we see postings of "my mileage has dropped, what could be the problem?"

Well, it's winter and the cold does that. Just so you don't think it's only a Prius problem, know that I've been using my FJ Cruiser most of this winter. The last few weeks have been particularly stressful, as the temperature has been hovering around 0F or -18C with lows down to -30C. No snow to speak of but cold. And it's the end of February and beginning of March! Normal temps average just under freezing, not as low as it has been. But we're tough Canadians, and we will survive.

The FJ Cruiser normally burns 16-17 l/100 km in winter, 14 ish in summer. Last Tuesday I filled up and calculated -22- l/100 km, at $1.12 per!

So now I'm back in the Prius (Pearl S) burning fuel at a rate of around 6 l/100 km (summer 4.4 l/100 km).

And it's warming up! It's funny when people see the temp. at -14 C and say "it's nice out today"!

We expect temps. -above- 0C this weekend and next week. What a shock that will be! :)

2. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The MPGs drop for any car in the cold, if for no other reason than the winter formula for gas has less energy per gallon. A factor that really comes into play with a Prius is maintaining engine temperature. With it colder and also pulling engine heat for cabin heat, the engine needs to run more (and use more gas) to maintain proper temperature.