1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wiper fluid to wipe out the surface frost?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by bwilson4web, Dec 27, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Living in North Alabama, we don't often have much beyond a light layer of frost when it gets below freezing. Park so the sunrise shines on the window and it is gone in minutes. But sometimes I have to come in early.

Are there any recommended windshield washing fluids that will take off the frost and not freeze in the tank or to the cold glass?

We talking temperatures not lower than say 20F or -5C. I'm thinking something like a deicing fluid. Of course my first thought was an alcohol:
    • methanol - uh, no, I don't want a paint remover
    • ethanol - what, what, no mixer?
    Just curious what the cold weather folks use,
    Bob Wilson

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wasn't sure myself, so just looked it up. The typical commercially available "all season" fluid contains methanol. The bottles don't say what percentage, just that it will protect to "-35 deg" or variations, ie "-45 deg", the latter being the coldest rating I've seen.

I use it year 'round, since we don't use that much, and the summer stuff's likely still in there around Christmas.

One observation I can make: no matter what the commercial stuff says, ie -35 deg, or better, it'll freeze onto the windshield, with temps even just below freezing. Leaving you with a bigger mess.

I've been using Toyota brand fluid, not sure if it's any better. It's rated to -40 fwiw. Not sure if that's centigrade or Celsius, think they're roughly the same at that temp zone.

Also been reading up: this stuff's not that nice for the environment, plus you tend to inhale vapours when using it, through the cabin air intake.

3. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    They do make washer fluid that is resistant to freezing. I use the Rain-X De-Icer washer fluid year-round. Usually you can also find the regular blue stuff in freeze resistant formula at the autoparts store too.

I always use my washer fluid to remove light frost on the windshield :) Most recently not so much since installing a remote starter.

Windshield Washer Fluid | AutoZone.com

4. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I use a big bucket of hot water from the tab.

bwilson4web and PriusCamper like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hand scrape because i feel like the frost is bad for the wiper blades rubbers as you're removing it.

6. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try using one of these!
    [​IMG]

jgilliam1955 and bwilson4web like this.
  7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hand scrape and defrost melt for the same reason.

Wiper blades used to be cheap enough not to worry about that kind of stuff, but they're getting to be a little too expensive to be used as de-icing equipment.

The green Rain-X stuff from Wally hasn't frozen up on me down to -10 or so. I don't recall what it's rated for.
    I use it year-round.

8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with bedrock8x... Some warm water in a bucket is enough to do all the windows and doesn't waste your hard earned money in the way all the other replies do. And if it's really cold out you'll need to get your wipers going before the warm water freezes!

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what I'm currently using. Have had some ice covered nights and mornings. Seems to work very well at assisting in ice removal.

I use to do this. But when I admitted to doing so, everyone told me I was going to crack my windshield. Well even though I did do this for years with my older cars and never cracked a windshield, with the HUGE windshields of The Honda Fit and The Prius respectively, I've whimped out.

Anyone ever cracked a windshield using warm water? Or is this an urban myth?....started by the Windshield Fluid De-Icer people.

10. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My dad flattens a cardboard box and places it under the wiper blades. The next morning the windshield is completely clear. No chemicals, no expense.

I'm among the few that uses the garage to park the car.

jgilliam1955 likes this.
  11. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've never damaged wiper blades from removing light frost on the windshield using wiper fluid. If I can remember, I always prop up my blades when I park my car so in the morning they aren't frozen to the window.

Using water rather than wiper fluid is a good idea. I'll have to try to remember that.

12. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Using an ice scraper is good because the ice will take the dirt off the windshield as well.
    If you are getting below freezing temps you want to have proper washer fluid in the tank than is resistant to freezing. If you don't you run the risk of destroying the pump, which is plastic and will break if it freezes.

The reason most windshield washer solutions freeze when sprayed and wiped (with the wipers) is the alcohol evaporates, dropping the temperature even more. Best to use when not moving and on a warmed windshield. i.e. use when you arrive to clean a dirty windshield so it's clean when you start out. It's fine to use it when driving once the car is blowing warm air. Use the defrost button to warm the windshield. A couple of tips here - turn off defrost long before your destination so the windshield will cool off so snow won't turn to ice on it when parked. Don't use to clean off frost, use a scraper. Be careful of the wiper blades - you can easily damage them with a scraper.

13. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I keep a bottle of GM Optikleen around. Since it's concentrated, I pour it in the washer bottle with what's already in there when the temps drops and it works great.

14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hummm,

My Mom puts glycerin (aka., glycerol) in the bird bath water in winter so it won't freeze over. Now I'm wondering if it might make another window defrost solution. Unlike the heavier alcohols, glycerin doesn't evaporate so readily.

Bob Wilson

15. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I talked to a Russian about this very subject once and he laughed and just said he uses cheap Vodka. Apparently it never freezes!

(never tried it and not sure what it'll do to your paint!)

16. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^^^ Well, it would definitely take the wax off to start!

17. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just use the cheap blue washer fluid. It protect from freezing down to 0 I think. It costs about 1.50 a gallon. I have tried the 3-4$ stuff but didn't see that much better results. So for $1.50 I can spray a bunch of washer fluid to help clear the frost and ice off and one gallon seems to last about a month of doing this. I used to live in MI my whole life and that was a different story.

18. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Don't use glycerin or any kind of glycol as windshield wiper fluid. It will make a mess on the windshield such that you won't be able to see very well.

I've used isopropyl alcohol to lower the freezing point in the washer fluid reservoir after it started to freeze. It's the safest of the alcohols commonly available. Methyl alcohol is one of the worst. It dries out the rubber on the wiper blades, shortening their life. Isopropyl does that as well, just not as quickly. They also dried out the rubber holding the windshield in the body, by as they don't use that construction method any longer that's no longer a problem.

If you have trouble with icing, purchase some isopropyl alcohol and put a little in a small squirt container. Don't use "rubbing alcohol" as it usually contains some oil as well. The alcohol will get rid of the ice in 5-10 minutes. I also used to add it to the fuel tank, before the days of "ethanol" fuel, to ensure the fuel line wouldn't ice up. That is no longer a problem, with "up to" 10% ethyl alcohol added to our fuel.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can birds drink glycerol with no ill effects?:eek: i would like to keep my birdbath unfrozen as well.

20. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was thinking that too. My understanding was that the birds drink the water as well as preen their feathers with it. I wonder if there were a lot of drunk birds around that way?

bisco likes this.