1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wont start -Red Triangle of death, but Starts Fine on 2nd attempt?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bannerboxer, Sep 9, 2014.

1. bannerboxer

bannerboxer New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yesterday I went out in the AM, got in car, depressed the brake, and pushed the start button. I heard normal electrical sounds, then the red triangle of death came on, and it stopped it usual start up sounds, and nothing happened. I could not do anything. I couldn't take it out of park, couldn't push start button again. The electrical system was on cause a bunch of the lights in the dash were lit ( the only one i remember that was lit was the brake word in the dash, but there were others) I sat there a few minutes trying to push the start button or get it to shut off somehow, and eventually it all just shut off.
    I depressed the brake and pushed the start button again and it started up just fine, and off to work I went. It started up fine on my way home from work, and running errands after work.

Then this morning - same thing! First time, no start, and the red triangle of death came on. I let off the brake and just sat there hoping that like yesterday it would eventually shut off and I could try again. The only difference today was that on the display monitor a warning notice came up it said something like: Caution: Problem with Transmission "P" brake system. Park car on flat surface, and fully apply the parking brake. When this happens though, I cannot event put the car in neutral or anything. I continued to sit there about 4 minutes, then everything shut off, and I started the car right up like normal. and off to work I went.

What could be my issue?? My driveway in on an incline, would this have anything with it not starting?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replace the 12V battery now.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Change the 12 volt battery now. Use a AGM type battery with the correct JIS reversed posts. Get one that is sealed and that has the correct vent fitting on it. Expect to pay $200 for the battery. If the dealer puts it in, expect to pay an additional $100 for the labor.

You can change the battery yourself. There is a link in my signature that discusses how to do it. Start with post #8 for a detailed explanation of the technique and the tools required. Trust me, you can do it. If a disabled man like myself, and several women on this board can do it, you can too.

Then the Prius should start up normally again.

One other tip. When buying the battery, take a moment and check the voltage of the battery with a digital volt meter. Do NOT accept a battery that is NOT fully charged. A new AGM type battery should measure a minimum of 12.8 volts when measuring across the two posts with NO load attached. If the battery is NOT fully charged, ask for a different battery. Don't let them charge it up and then you buy it. The battery has already began to sulfate, and quite possibly has lost some of it's lifetime expectancy.

I recommend the OEM battery. Exide also works. You can't buy one at Walmart. The Yellow Top also works, but lately some folks are having trouble with the new one's. O Reilly auto parts also stocks a battery for the Prius. You will find the battery to be rather small with very small posts on it. It really is very easy to change the battery. The hardest thing is stabbing the top screw on the vent duct when you put it all back together. Use a little grease or tape on the screw head and a socket on a extension to get the screw started. Don't over torque the fasteners also. Just snug all of them up.

OEM Battery.JPG

Best of luck to you, and welcome to Prius Chat!

Ron (dorunron)

usnavystgc likes this.
  5. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yep, classic symptoms of a dead/weak 12V battery.