1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would you trust a low mileage, like-new Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ystasino, Apr 25, 2007.

1. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Someone I know can get me a Prius at an auction site with 3-5k miles for about $3k less than invoice? Is it worth the risk?

What if the previous owner has modified the Prius in such a way that makes the dealer refuse the warranty?

Thanks

2. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ystasino @ Apr 24 2007, 11:18 PM) [snapback]429544[/snapback]</div>
    First off, why don't you find out if there's any modifications, which I highly doubt, especially with that low mileage. $3000 less really isn't that much off, it seems reasonable, especially coming from an auction. Ask for the car history.
    This seems legitimate.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Check the Kelly Blue Book. $3K seems an awfully small discount for a used car. Speaking for myself, I won't ever buy a used car again. But if you are going to buy a used car, the Prius is probably the best used car you can get. I just think you should get more of a discount.

Take it to a reputable mechanic and have it checked over. (You should do that with any used car). Any mods likely to void the warranty should be obvious, and probably cost so much that the seller would demand more money for it. Note that you could have the same issue with any used car.

My advice: Treat it the same way you'd trat the purchase of any used car. Overall, the Prius is an extremely reliable and well-built car.

4. iaowings

iaowings New Member

My car is just over a year old and has only 11k on it. most of that was from when I first got the car. in the past 7 months I have only put 4k on the car. so based on that I don’t see my driving changing in the next couple of years my car will be very low mileage in say two more years. As I would only be putting about 3k on the car per year.

I would find out what the car has been used for or if it has any mods. Do you research and you will be better able to decide.

5. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's at an auction, you might want to make doubley sure it's not been crashed or drowned in a flood.

6. nyprius2007

nyprius2007 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boxster...WRX...Prius? @ Apr 25 2007, 03:58 AM) [snapback]429618[/snapback]</div>

usually they will have a carfax report if they are really serious about selling the used car. Personally I would spend the extra 3k to know that I am getting a "new" prius but that comes from experences purchasing used cars.

If they dont provide you with one, copy down the vin number directly from the car and run one. It cost less then 20.00 and well worth it in the long run. I would also check under the hood, and the liftgate to see if there are any repairs or welds. Check the wheel welds for any over spray (classic sign that the car was damaged).

any modifications should be present at the time. Also see if you can test drive the car. That will also tell you wonders..

good luck

7. TNPapa

TNPapa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    We purchased our 2006 Prius with 16000 miles on it from a dealer. Got the carfax report, and it came with the toyota powertrain warranty as well as the remaining factory warranty. Since the wife was doing the buying she wanted the extended warranty from them and I could not change her mind.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ystasino @ Apr 25 2007, 12:18 AM) [snapback]429544[/snapback]</div>
    Would I trust a low mileage Prius? I would. And I did. Nov 2004. Had 11K miles and now it's heading toward 60K miles. We've never regreted it. Did the same thing on our Lexus s.u.v. hybrid as well! happy happy, joy joy.

9. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Many Regions have a good supply of Prius 'in stock' and many Dealers are offering substantial discounts. With some questions about "why" this individual Prius is at auction, it would tempt me to "deal HARD" on a brand new one. The 'used' Prius is disqualified for the full Extended Warranty and, even with only 3,000 miles, there's no real way to know what care has been given. A CarFax Report is an absolute MUST.

At $3,000 BELOW Invoice, it is tempting, but over the life of a Prius it just isn't a MAJOR savings in the current marketplace.

Just my opinion - value ~ 2¢

10. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

It would be OK price if it was a certified vehicle from a dealer, but why is it in an auction with 3K miles, one must ask. Sometimes what is cheap comes out expensive as is often said.

11. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Apparently there's a 14-day no questions asked return policy, they guarantee the car has not been flooded or crashed and offer the 3yr extended warranty. Could I buy it for a used vehicle on this site too?

I'll test drive it, CARFAX it and if I like it, I'll take it to a toyota dealer to check it out and tell me if it's still under warranty. I'd only go for an 06-07 Prius.

Any other ideas?
    Thanks

12. PHanna

PHanna Junior Member

I bought a 2005 with 25,000 miles today. I have always bought cars two years old and kept until 10 years old (driving for 8 years.) It is just what I do, succesfully. I have bought several cars at auction with great success. This is my first Prius, trading from a Mercedes. I'll gladly pay 25% less for a two year old car still under bumper to bumper warranty. A car with such low mileage as the one you are thinking of would not have had mods done since anyone who would do mods would not let it go so quickly. I did pull the CarFax, but as luck would have it, while looking at my car at the dealer, I found paperwork with the original owner's name on it. I called her and discovered that she could not afford the payments and just turned it back in. It is a loaded 2005 she paid $30,000 for. I drove out for $22,000.

13. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Apr 25 2007, 09:36 AM) [snapback]429711[/snapback]</div>
    Charles:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying here, but the used cars, at least if purchased from a dealer through the Toyota Certified Used program, are actually available with what is, in effect, a better wty than the new cars. This is especially so if the buyer pays for the full bumper-to-bumper upgrade. For example, my 04, which I bought with 15k miles last summer, is covered completely for 7/100 by Toyota, not some third party outfit. The std TCU wty is, IIRC powertrain for 7/100, and the rest of the car for a lesser (don't recall) interval. The "upgrade" to bumper-to-bumper for the full 7/100 cost between $700-800. I felt it was a worthwhile option to eliminate any debate about the hybrid components, NAV system, and so forth. At any rate, I'm happy with the program (and my car, of course).

Back to the OP's question, yes I would, yes I did, and yes, I'm very pleased with the overall result (so far, knock on wood).