Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

XM Amplifier antenna assembly - needs to be replaced

Discussion in 'Gen III 2010+ Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Codyroo, Apr 30, 2013.

Social Buttons

1. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just got some unfortunate news regarding my XM antenna. I stopped getting satellite reception in early April and working with XM determined that the antenna was the likely issue. Igot the car into the shop today. They came back saying I needed a new amplifier antenna assembly (3 hours installation, total cost =$675).

Ugh.

Anyone else come across this issue? I'm likely going to try some car stereo shops to see if they can do better.
  2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Your Vehicle Year:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    WOW! ...that sucks!
  3. Servando

Servando New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Just got the same news on mine! 2010-IV and no problems at all for 2+ years. For a few months my XM would be erratic...sometimes cutting out for an hour. Several weeks ago it went out for good. Talking to XM, they tell me the issue is on my end. Dealer, here in Southern California tells me the antenna/amplifier needs to be replace.....$700!! The part is only $100 but they say the labor is intensive since the headliner needs to be taken down. I'm not paying $700 so I'm considering doing it myself. I'm very technical but I'm concerned about reinstalling the headliner. It actually looks do-able by just pulling the back down a bit. Anyone try this yet?
  4. tami

tami New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We have two 2010 Prius III. Replace one antenna assembly 3 weeks ago. The other one went yesterday! We're going to call Toyota to complain. Not sure what good it will do but what the hell. My hubby is pissed beyond words!
  5. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Feh,

I've been living without my XM for 6 months now. I've cancelled it and am not going to bother spending $700 to replace it. I've got my IPod and some substandard FM reception to get me through my drives.

I will miss Johnny Dollar on Radio Classics.
  6. Rivetjoint

Rivetjoint Junior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd suggest checking with the stereo shop folks as mentioned previously. I remained a Sirius subscriber after acquiring the Prius, requiring me to get the aftermarket interface equipment to allow me to use the head unit. Since the factory antenna is pre-wired for XM, I asked the Best Buy installers to tuck the magnetic Sirius antenna behind the factory antenna. It's pretty much the same color and hardly noticeable on the roof. It was child's play for these guys to snake the wire up to the dash without dealing with the headliner. My only concern for you XM owners is whether or not a similar magnetic XM antenna's wire would connect to the radio without some sort of adapter as I suspect the factory antenna's wiring is a bit different since it includes terrestrial radio signals. Maybe a call to the Crutchfield techies would be in order.