1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yokohama Avid Envigor and Gas Milease Drop

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by aginzu, Apr 15, 2011.

1. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah it does, but nothing dramatic. Overfill is bad for other reasons though, so best to make sure they never fill it more than 1/4" over.

What happens with overfill is that the bottom of the cranks start to splash into the oil and it causes energy loss. Actually it's only increased "windage" on the crank at first but eventually the crank really splashes into the sump oil if it's high enough. A lot of people like to run their oil about 1/8" to 1/4" below the top mark (on the dipstick) for minimum losses, but seriously it's only a tiny gain, maybe one MPG extra by running at -1/8" compared to +1/8".

Wow you know you're hanging with the real hyper-miling freaks when you start obsessing over your oil level to the nearest 1/8" inch. LOL :D

2. TheSpoils

TheSpoils Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not disputing what others estimate to be a small MPG change due to overfill of oil. I am reporting my experience. My oil was overfilled by about 1/2" over max indicator on dipstick. I noticed a more sluggish accelerator feel and slower response time (engine responded slower to driver input) The dealer and a pep boys tech both told me that the effect would be minor and that they have had instances where their "non hybrid" was overfilled and they noticed no change in performance.
    My opinion: perhaps because the prius engine is running or tries to run at lowest rpm's possible, I believe that it does affect performance and FE much more than a traditional auto. Once I removed the additional oil, the performance and FE went back to normal. The mpg went back to 57 as opposed to 52 with the overfill. Check your oil level, it is easy to do.
    Good Luck

3. aginzu

aginzu New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I checked my oil and it's right at the top fill mark so I assume the problem is more likely caused by the tires.

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep. I think we always knew it was the tires.

I could be, I've never had a 1/2" overfill. The maximum that mine has ever been overfilled was about 1/4" and it seemed to only give a small reduction in mpg. The response is not necessarily linear. At 1/2" you might get some serious splashing while at 1/4" perhaps it's just a bit of energy going into waves and ripples from the windage. Who knows?

5. Maine Pilot

Maine Pilot Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    III
    Just wondering: Could the drop in MPG be attributed to the error in the speedometer/odometer because of the change to the diameter of the tire? For example, if one was basing their previous MPG, using their normal speeds, (say at 65 mph), their "true" speed would be operating at some speed above 65, (or any other speed), due to the larger diameter wheel having to turn faster. This could be checked out using a GPS.

My theory would be if they operated at some speed less than "indicated" (on the speedometer), their MPG would be the same or greater than running on the smaller rims.

I inquired about getting our new Prius with the larger rims, but the salesman said we wouldn't be happy as the speedometer/odometer would be off. One would think this car, being so technically advanced, there would be a way to adjust the speedometer/odometer to reflect a larger wheel.

6. aginzu

aginzu New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The speedometer was one of my first thoughts when I saw the mileage drop with the new tires. I checked it with a GPS and it was right on, which is to be expected since the tires were the same size, modulo the wear on the old tires.

Note that to get a 10% difference in mileage would require a 10% difference in speed indication, or at 65 mph that would mean a error of 6.5 mph. That means you would be doing 71.5 mph when you though you were doing 65. That much difference would be pretty noticeable.

7. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a huge drop in mpg with the change of tires. What's the secret behind the OEM versions ?

8. aginzu

aginzu New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I believe there are a number of factors in play to produce the huge mileage drop.

First, is that the tires were new. The mileage did improve after putting about 2,000 miles on the tires, but it's still down about 5-7%. Second, the OEM tires on the Prius are low rolling resistance and the replacements are not. The ENVigors are more performance oriented and probably have good rolling resistance for a performance tire. The tests published by Tire Rack on a 2009 Prius also resulted in a 5% mileage difference between the best and worst LRR tires and a 10% difference between a non LRR and the best LRR. Third, the Prius is probably more sensitive to rolling resistance than other cars because the other drag factors that affect mileage, like air resistance have been reduced to a minimum, making the rolling resistance more prominent.

In my case, the dealer has agreed to exchange the ENVigors for a set of Bridgestone EP100's. Once I get them installed I will be able to make a real-world comparison of the mileage improvement, if any. Stay tuned.

9. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can't comment about the different brands of tyres/tires you have in the US but I found immediate loss of mpg's when non low rolling resistance tyres were fitted to my car about a year ago.

I had them changed back to LLR tyres and the economy immediately shot back up to what it previously was. I posted a thread about this situation back then.

I have had two new tyres on the back of my car in the last few days with NO noticeable loss in mpg's. Both the new tyres are LLR Bridgestone Ecopia's which were stock on the car at new.

10. aginzu

aginzu New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The preliminary results are in and I am very surprised how much of a mileage improvement I have experienced between the Yokohama Avid Envigor and the Bridgestone Ecopia EP100.

Before having the exchange done I drove a known route that I drive several times a week, noted the mileage at various points along the route, and got pretty consistent results over several runs. Both sets of tires were inflated to the recommended 35 psi. I used the cruise control to keep the speed consistent and got the following results along the route of about 25 miles, mostly freeway:

Envigor 45.3 mpg
    Ecopia 49.9 mpg

This approximately 10% difference was pretty consistent at points along the route:

Point Evigor Ecopia %diff
    1 38.9 42.4 8.9
    2 47.4 51.4 8.4
    3 53.8 58.7 9.1
    4 45.3 49.9 10.1 (back to the starting point)

In addition, the Ecopias are brand new and the Envigors had a break-in of about 3000 miles, during which their mileage improved by about 5%. I expect that the Ecopias will do the same as they break in.

The mileage measurements were done using the Prius built-in computer, so there is a small difference due to the tire diameter. The Ecopias are rated at 857 revs per mile while the Envigors are rated at 851 revs per mile. That would give an edge of about .7% to the Ecopias. Correcting for that, the mileage improvement with the Ecopias for the full route is still around 10%. At $4 per gallon of gas that translates into a fuel savings of about $12 per month.

This info is very preliminary, and I will have to run a few full tanks to get some solid results that include more varied driving conditions. Also, the change, if any, as the Ecopias break in will be interesting.

In any event, if you are concerned about gas mileage, it certainly appears that sticking with LRR tires is the way to go.

I'm glad that F8L, earlier in this thread suggested that I check out LRR tires.

4 people like this.
  11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    aginzu, thank you very much for posting the detailed review. That will be very helpful to the PC community and myself. Please report back after they are broke in. It will be great to see how the tires change or not. :)

12. aginzu

aginzu New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I now have about 3K miles on the Ecopias and there does not seem to be any significant change in mileage from when they were new. They are still getting about 10% better mileage than the Envigors did and about 3% better than the original OEM tires, although I didn't do a careful measurement with the originals and am just going by memory.

Over 1418 miles the Evigors averaged 41.56 mpg while the Ecopias averaged 45.8 mpg over 1426 miles. This is with my normal mix of city/highway driving. Over a recent 2300 mile road trip of mostly highway driving the Ecopias averaged 47.89 mpg. On a similar trip with the original OEMs, if I remember correctly, they averaged about 46 mpg. I did not get a chance to do a long trip on the Envigors. These measurements are based on actual gas purchases, not on the Prius mileage computer. There could still be about a .7% mileage advantage to the Ecopias due to the slight difference in diameter affecting the odometer. Taking this difference into account, the mileage improvement for my average driving with the Ecopias over the Envigors is 9.5%.

The Envigors did handle better than the Ecopias, with a more solid road feel. The difference was especially noticeable on a stretch of freeway with large longitudinal grooves. The Envigors were solid on this stretch while the Ecopias feel like there is a strong side wind causing the car to move back and forth a bit. Overall, however, the Ecopias perform well enough under normal wet and dry driving conditions and, I believe, are an excellent choice for the Prius if mileage is the major concern. The Envigors are still good tires and a reasonable choice if handling is important and one is aware of the mileage penalty.

When I get a chance I will re-run the short distance test route that I did when I first was getting ready to replace the Envigors, but I don't expect to see a significant difference.

3 people like this.
  13. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So I guess that means when I'm getting 60 MPG on my AVID ENVigors I'd be getting even a couple of MPG better on lower rolling resistance tires. But then I'd be out the higher cost of the other tires (average LRR tire is something like $25-$50 more per tire vs the AVID ENVigor)

and fwiw I run higher tire pressure. I was doing 42/40 on the OEM Integrity but I'm doing more like 48/45 on the AVID ENVigors. Having a 51 PSI max sidewall rating gives me the confidence to push it a little higher.

I can see getting LRR tires for those who drive long commutes or a taxi or some other high miles per day usage. Myself I'm more likely to replace a set of tires due to dry rot than I am due to running out of tread so I buy based on traction/handling and cost per tire and that pushes me towards non LRR tires.

Oh, and that's not to mention when a tire manufacturer makes the same tire LRR at 195/60/15 but not LRR at 185/65/15 or any other workable size like the Kumho Solus KH16. There are plenty of other tires that only do LRR in one or two sizes out of dozens.

I'd love to know the actual RR of all the tires on my short list:

General Altimax HP
    Yokohama AVID ENVigor
    Hankook Optimo H727

But without that info I'm just going to assume that for people driving under 10,000 miles per year can safely choose a better handling tire for less cost than the LRR option and not worry about the difference in RR.

14. aginzu

aginzu New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I can only report on my experiences. "Your mileage may vary".

My car is a 2009 Touring version and I have never gotten over 52 mpg for any long trip. My average remains around 47. The drop in mileage on my car with the tire change was real, since mileage immediately improved when I installed the Ecopias, which incidently, cost the same as the Avid Envigors. The mileage has continued to be about 1-2 mpg better than on the OEM tires and 4-5 mpg better than the Envigors.

60 mpg is great! I would love to know how you are able to do that.

15. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's a Gen II 2005 with 15" rims so I'm running 185/65/15 in the mid 40s PSI wise. I use a 3 PSI diff from front to back when I'm running in the 40s going by the % diff of 35/33.

I also buy 100% gasoline (no ethanol aka E0) either at a gas station about a mile from the work end of the trip. Nearest 100% gas to my house is more than 6 miles away (not on the way to anything I do).

The commute to/from right now is ~16 miles each way with about 1/3 of that distance done at 65 MPH, about a 1/3 done at 45 MPH, and about 1/3 done under that (both ends of the trip involve either neighborhood or parking lot driving at lower speeds plus the feeder/backroads)

I used to try to keep the speed at 55 MPH on the highway portion but found out that I was getting better mileage at the faster speed (there are numerous downhill/uphill sections on the highway that push the Prius to very low MPG uphill at lower speeds). Maintaining momentum helped. But if I want every last drop of MPG I "drive with load" and do more like 70 MPH downhill and 50 MPH uphill and do the speed limit on the relatively flat portions.

It's also been low 70s to upper 80s on these runs. I use the AC when it gets too hot but the car is in a garage at home so AC doesn't stay on the whole trip.

OH, and the 60+ MPG I'm seeing is MFD (on the screen) so my tires being 850 Revs per mile + the over-inflation might be off slightly vs actual fuel consumption. I don't think it's off enough to invalidate the comparison though.

So short list is:

High PSI tire inflation
    100% Gas
    decent weather
    a route that forces some low speed driving (not my choice)

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dhanson865, Your post is a bit confusing. Your state that LRR tires cost $25-$50 more thank the Avids which is only correct for a couple of tires and untrue for the majority. Your also make the assumption that people replace perfectly good tires with new LRR tires just to save a few mpg.

I 'mcurious what brought about this post.

17. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just replying to the content of the thread between aginzu's posts in general in this thread and your post where you say

"I still don't understand why people purchase non-LRR tires for a replacement tire."

Now you think that $25-$50 a tire increase isn't valid so let me pull some comparisons from tirerack (you might get them cheaper locally but I'm just pulling from tirerack to have apples to apples comparison since not all dealers carry all tires)

The first tire I considered for my car was the Altimax HP. I could use 195/60R15 at 850 RPM although the 185/65/15 is OK at 843 RPM. One is $70 a tire, the other is $71, no bid difference there.

I then saw the AVID ENVigor (this was early in the life of that tire when there were very few reviews of the ENVigor on tirerack) but the 185/65/15 is now $80 a tire. At the time the price difference wasn't as noticable to me, maybe I got a good deal or maybe the prices have shifted slightly in the last year or two. And just like aginzu I saw the "All-New Silica Compound. Delivers ultra-low rolling resistance for increased fuel efficiency, without sacrificing treadlife, comfort or grip on dry, wet or snow-covered roads." mention and figured I'd give it a go over the slightly cheaper Altimax HP.

Now the way I chose at the time that we can reproduce today was to go to tirerack.com and search for 185/65/15, deselect all summer tires, deselect all snow tires, make sure light truck tires weren't in the mix (not an issue)

At that point the top rated tires are (note the results now are different than the search I did back then)

Goodyear Assurance ConforTred Touring (not to be confused with the non touring ConforTred)

Michelin Energy Saver A/S
    Michelin Harmony
    Pirelli P4 Four Seasons
    General Alimax HP
    Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum
    Yokohama AVID ENVigor

Apparently the AVID ENVigor has dropped a bit as it used to be rated higher than the Alimax HP.

Next I'd compare the tires looking at the Customer Survey Data and toss out the ones with poor wet traction or poor dry traction. None of these would get taken out for that.

I also tossed the ones without a 51 PSI sidewall rating. Which might have colored the price difference a bit.

So if I were making the choice at this point I'd go for the Altimax HP based on price at $70 a tire but I'd call around to see if my 2nd or 3rd choice tire could match that price.

without going through all the calls the sorted by price options would be

Ecsta LX Platinum 185/65/15 $70
    Altimax HP 185/65/15 $71
    AVID ENVigor 185/65/15 $80
    Assurance ConforTred Touring 185/65/15 $91
    Assurance ConforTred Touring 205/60R15 $111

So why the $111 for the ConforTred 205/60R15 at 846 RPM. It's only 1 pound more than the 185/65/15 at 855 RPM. For that 1 pound difference you gain more max load, higher speed rating, and an extra 32nd of tread. Hmm, maybe not worth $20 a tire.

Why not the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum? I do not know, it never popped out to me as a serious choice. Am I overlooking a diamond in the rough?

So are any of the 4 that made it through the filters LRR? No, the only one rated high on the Customer Survey Data that is LRR is

Michelin Energy Saver A/S at $104 a tire.

So comparing $70 a tire to $104 a tire it's over $30 a tire which is roughly in the $25-$50 range I mentioned.

The price difference is more pronounced when you make the comparison in 16" or 17" tires which was in my head from discussions from another thread on PriusChat.

The other LRR tire I looked at was the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max but I didn't like it's lower traction numbers in the Customer Survey Data. If I wanted to consider it I'd go look for pricing on

Fuel Max 185/65/15 855 RPM $86
    Fuel Max 195/65/15 836 RPM $99
    Fuel Max 205/60/15 847 RPM $95

and I'd take the 205/60/15 as the wider tire might handle better and the RPM are almost dead on to what I think the correct RPM would be. Assuming it was only a few $ a tire more than the 185/65/15 I'd go for the 205/60/15 in this case. Either way it's more expensive than the Alimax HP for less traction.

The statement that confused you was that to get as good of a tire with LRR I'd have to pay more. I can get a similarly priced tire with LRR and make a trade off in traction for the LRR. That isn't what I want to do.

Since that purchase I've gotten used to the concept of revs per mile and navigating the tirerack site better. I'd now consider going to the categories and sorting by traction type and looking for the RPM I need in 15". For example
    Consumer Survey Results By Category

Where the top 3 tires are

Firestone Precision Sport
    Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S
    Yokohama AVID ENVigor (H&V)

Consumer Survey Results By Category
    If you sort it by dry traction you get

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S
    Yokohama AVID ENVigor (H&V)

and the firestone drops to 5th place.

We've already covered the AVID ENVigor, the Firestone is only $68 a tire but is noisy and has poor treadwear in addition to the lesser dry traction, the Pilot Exalo A/S I'd love to have in 205/60/15 at 850 RPM but they are $104 a tire.

There are more categories, I've done the sorts in several I'm not covering here to consider tires.

I hope that helps you through the though processes. I'm not saying the AVID ENVigor is the best tire for the Prius. I'm not even saying it's the tire I'd buy right now if I looked again (it might be the Hankook Optimo H727 at $74 a tire even though it's a 44 psi max sidewall marking or I might fall back to the Altimax HP which I've used on another car if getting the Hankook proved problematic for any reason)

Heck if you want to cry foul at me taking tirerack customer survey data seriously go for it. I'll listen, but that was and is currently a part of my decision process.

18. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    All other logic aside there is an error in this statement that F8L wondered about.

I consider the AVID ENVigor to be above average so the apples to apples statement should have been

"a comparable LRR tire is something like $25-$50 more per tire vs the AVID ENVigor"

I had a small brain fart there and messed up my comparative statement. I figured that out halfway through writing the mammoth post above but figured I might as well flesh it out so I can compare pricing data some months/years down the road.

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not calling foul, my friend. I know your have a mind for critical analysis and I just wanted to understand how your came to your conclusion. When your start adding in numerous filters like your did then of course other low priced tires will be excluded. Some people may choose to filter for different parameters and come to different conclusions. I'm just happy to see you doing your homework like each of us should do when choosing a new tire. :)

dhanson865 likes this.
  20. oldasdust

oldasdust Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Since fall is upon us and winter is not far behind ,anyone have comments on LRR tires in snow, slush and ice compared to all season tires?