1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How do I physically remove the cell phone from my 2024 Prius Prime XSE.

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Jhutbeer, May 1, 2024.

1. Jhutbeer

Jhutbeer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Premium
    I do not appreciate Toyota's efforts to transmit my personal information, telemetry, audio and video information to the cloud. I don't mind taking advantage of it's onboard capabilities but I do not want to be SPIED on!
    It started when I was driving and it told me to "Pay Attention". I was and discovered that there is a camera on my steering wheel stem that watches my face constantly. So I put a bandaid on it! Then it told me to "Sit Up, face not visible " (or something like that) Then I turned off the Driver Monitor Warning function and the Driver Monitor Communication Recording. Now after about 20 minutes of driving a message comes up on the screen and will NOT go away. "Driver Monitor Not Available, See Owners Manual. This is extremely annoying and comes right back no matter what you do.
    I have requested Toyota not allow my car to transmit data and I don't want to use the SOS service either because that requires continuous monitoring. If you install the TOYOTA APP on your phone and connect to your car you have implicitly consented to them uploading your data, which can be stored and used by third parties and in other countries which may not have the same privacy protections. It can be kept for up to 15 years and given to enforcement agencies. Here is the Toyota policy on connected services:
    Toyota Canada Inc. Connected Services Privacy (apparently I cannot post a link yet in priuschat.

I will not feel comfortable until the Cellular Communications is Physically REMOVED!

bisco likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The irony is that the Driver Monitor System is onboard and doesn't transmit anything.

But yes, use of the app and any remote services includes sending location data and usage data. The module you're looking for is called "DCM" or data communication module. It's usually hidden somewhere in the dashboard.

3. Paul Gregory

Paul Gregory Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Wild rumors are what the internet does best.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i got an email from gm today stating that their driver monitoring system has been discontinued.

daisy555 likes this.
  5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would get rid of your phone as well. Law enforcement and court orders can retroactively track you. Without that capability the cell phone won’t work.

sylvaing and Lantaral like this.
  6. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    FIrst if all, to get rid of the Driver Monitor message, stop driving with your arms in front of the monitor. Should be 9 and 3 anyways so your arms won't get broken from the airbag going off in a crash. Second, sell your car and buy a vehicle from the 1990s or early 2000s.

Danno5060 likes this.
  7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We're all being monitored in ways that violate our privacy all day, every day... Your personal data is a valuable product and the people selling it don't care what you think unless you don't take your phone wherever you go.

As Tideland mentions, these safety features are only onboard, so no problem there, but the nature of the times we're living in are a horrible violation of our right to privacy.

If I were you, I'd get your money back and buy an older Prius that doesn't have that. Alternatively, you can buy a mini-VCI dongle and install Toyota techstream on a windows laptop and try to change all the settings.

8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Re-read OP's post... They intentionally covered up the camera.

Serenity Now likes this.
  9. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn’t the facial monitoring device only on the Gen 5 Prime? Maybe it’s also on the Prius Limited.

10. Serenity Now

Serenity Now New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Similarly, I too have disabled the driver monitor (I also disabled traffic jam assistance, which requires driver monitoring). Yet it STILL flashes the message, " Driver monitor unavailable".

I already know it's unavailable because I'm the one who disabled it! Has anyone discovered how to disable this warning message?

bisco and Jhutbeer like this.
  11. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah... Lol... I guess OP paid a huge amount extra for this special "feature."

12. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was quite relieved when I heard it wasn’t in the XLE. Maybe OP didn’t realize what was involved. I was assuming it could just be shut off. I don’t want technology monitoring my eyes. I don’t even use Face ID on my iphone. I’m already doing enough damage neing so attached to my phone.

13. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    On the page: Privacy and protection it says

"you can also request deactivation of data transmission, which disables our collection and use of vehicle data and certain account information."

On the page: Privacy Hub it states that you have a right to ask them to stop selling your information, ask for a copy of what they have about you, or request that they delete your information.

Not quite what OP asked, but this might be a way to start. I expect the face watcher is a separate system.

This link might have more: how to disable the DCM/Telematics unit in the car | PriusChat

#13 kenmce, May 2, 2024
    Last edited: May 2, 2024
  14. Blackat

Blackat Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    My Ltd doesn't have it.

15. Jhutbeer

Jhutbeer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Premium
    I have a bandaid over the camera. Up until I got this 2024 Prius Prime I had a 2009 Gen 2 Prius, which is still in the family. I wanted the Dual Fuel so when the clowns in the Government run us out of gas I will be up the creek with a small paddle! The good thing about the 120 Volt charger is that it is dumb and doesn't require a connection like a Tesla. When they lock us into our 15 Minute Cities and Geofence our cars I want to be offline and Fuel independent.

#15 Jhutbeer, May 2, 2024
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2024
    Serenity Now likes this.
  16. Jhutbeer

Jhutbeer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Premium
    I had a 2009 Prius from new until I passed it on in the family. I am not done with this car! I has the potential to be a Fantastic Car if it can learn to mind its own business like my Gen II did.

Serenity Now likes this.
  17. Peter3232

Peter3232 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    That’s really odd. I have a 2024 Prius Prime SE and I disabled the driver monitor camera on the first day of ownership. I’ve never seen a "Driver monitor unavailable" or similar message.

18. Jhutbeer

Jhutbeer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Premium
    Well I disabled a little more than the Driver Monitor. I also disabled the Drive Monitor Communication Recorder as well. I also asked them to turn off my communications with them including SOS button. I even got them to send me written confirmation that it was turned off!
    However, they had to "Hack" into my car to disable it, so they said. (A number of settings I had made were changed, including the Battery Mileage Remaining instead of what I had Battery % Remaining. So I KNOW that they can still mess with my car if they want to, so I am not stopping until I am sure they can't do that either, or they can buy it back off me.
    I value my privacy more than this car. We ARE living in a Police State now, far worse than what the Soviet Union had, but they can be just a bit more Subtle about it!

19. Jhutbeer

Jhutbeer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Premium
    PXL_20240428_164501529~2_Original.jpeg

#19 Jhutbeer, May 3, 2024
    Last edited: May 3, 2024
    Serenity Now likes this.
  20. Jhutbeer

Jhutbeer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Premium
    This displayed message won't go away. If you try to do some other setting, if you stop touching the buttons it goes back to this message after about 10 seconds! Totally Annoying on an expensive car!
    By the way I live in British Columbia, Canada which is probably more Communist than many US States so there may be some differences in the Prius models, but probably not much.

#20 Jhutbeer, May 3, 2024
    Last edited: May 3, 2024
    Serenity Now likes this.