1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

‘07 Gen 2 “shimmy” when engine comes in park

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by KK7PW, Aug 29, 2020.

1. KK7PW

KK7PW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello. I notice that when parked with system on, and as my engine comes on occasionally to recharge batts, that the car rolls or moves slightly — a shimmy of sorts. Not as smooth as before. I have the parking brake fully depressed and recently tightened — not loose or soft.

Wondering if there is something loose in drive train or engine mounts. I would like to use a/c during overnight sleep in car and prefer a smoother engine experience if possible. This would wake us up with every recharge.

Anyone else encounter this? Thanks for any thoughts.

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think you might be expecting too much from a 13 year old car.
    How many miles on it ?

3. KK7PW

KK7PW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    88k. I read elsewhere that this may be normal for when ICE turns on.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It’s completlely normal. Havent seen this post in years. You must have just bought the car.

Your plan will only work if it has a new hybrid battery in it. If its got the original hybrid battery it will be very unhappy and will probably push it into failure.
    G2 hybrid battery failure is very very common now,.it should be babied not hammered.
    The AC compressor is AC poweredand it’s main source of power is the hybrid battery so the engine will run and run and never catch up the battery charge. The ac isa big load on that battery.

And you will hear that engine clunk on and off all night.

Let me ask you what’s your plan if the hybrid battery dies? The car won’t start.

Start reading all the threads about bad battery’s there’s hundreds.