1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

‘13 PHV Telematic Code P1368

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by powerplay, Jun 4, 2018.

1. powerplay

powerplay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am using BlueDriver and it is giving me the above code. I have cleared it, but it comes back. I am not sure how to address this as it is a Telematic code. Any ideas?

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Some questions:

• Is the gas cap on tight?
    • Does the o ring on the gas cap look in good shape?
    • Does your Prius get to the “ready” state?
    • How many miles on your Prius?
    • Any other recent issues with your Prius?
    • Any history of damage or accidents?
    Keep us posted (y).

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is a telematic code? some codes don't go away and don't mean anything. and some readers don't read prius correctly.
    are you getting a dash light?

4. powerplay

powerplay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi Bisco,
    I don’t have any other codes other than this one. The car has 83,567 miles and has been prefect from the day I bought it in June of ‘13. The BlueDriver code reader provide extended capabilities and allows for reading these “Telematic” codes. It is identified as a “preignition” code, but I have no idea how to address it. I can’t find out much on the net about Telematic codes.

bisco likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From Wikipedia:
    Telematics is an interdisciplinary field that encompasses telecommunications, vehicular technologies, road transportation, road safety, electrical engineering (sensors, instrumentation, wireless communications, etc.), and computer science (multimedia, Internet, etc.). Telematics can involve any of the following:

[​IMG]
    Lexus Gen V navigation system
    In other words, in the case of your scanner, it doesn't mean anything.

Are you close to Tampa? If so, I can give you one or two places you can take it for diagnosis.

bisco likes this.
  6. powerplay

powerplay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks Jerry,

I am about 2 hours south of Tampa. I broke out my Techstream and read the Telematic codes with that. Nothing! So I am going to disregard the BlueDriver code as a fluke.
    Thanks for the information. I appreciate all the replies. It is great to have a place to go where people are so knowledgeable and helpful.

jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    As far as I know, Toyota’s Repair Manual series, the same as used by dealers and available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com, explains all of the diagnostic trouble codes. “P1368” is not listed in the manual for the 2013 Prius PHV. The manual does list several DTCs for the telematics transceiver (cellular communication system), but these all begin with B15__, U0___, or U1___.

The letter prefixes, by the way, are defined in the SAE J2012 standard, “Diagnostic Trouble Code Definitions,” which says “B” means “Body System,” “C” means “Chassis System,” “P” means “Powertrain System,” and “U” means “Network and Vehicle Integration.” DTCs that begin with P1___ are “manufacturer controlled” and don’t have standard meanings. It’s up to the automaker to define them and provide troubleshooting procedures, which here would appear in the Repair Manual.

Since “P1368” isn’t listed, I’d be surprised if it were valid for your car; perhaps the BlueDriver software is reporting it by mistake. If there were a serious problem with the powertrain (engine or hybrid system), the malfunction indicator lamp (check engine light) or master warning light would probably come on, too.

If you want to investigate further, I’d suggest scanning the car using the Health Check feature of a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system. This should give a reliable indication of the DTCs that are actually present. A dealer, or an independent repair shop that has bought the system, could do this, usually for a fee, or you could buy a compatible vehicle interface module and access to the software to do it yourself.

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A great resource, but a little distant for you, is Tampa Hybrids. It's where I bought my last four cars. It's on the north side of Tampa. Todd knows a ton about the Prius and they do many repairs there if you can get your car there when the time comes that it does need help.

Glad you already have Techstream. (y)