1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

“Check Hybrid System” error

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by GreenTea&SaltWater, May 28, 2021.

1. GreenTea&SaltWater

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    2010 Gen 3 Prius. 143k miles. Bought used at 126k. When I first got this car used 1.5 years ago within 100 miles of driving it an error came up on the dashboard with the message “check hybrid system”. Most of the lights started flashing. The gas engine still worked so I was able to run that but the hybrid no longer did. A $3000 repair to replace the hybrid battery I fixed myself by replacing 3 of the cells myself. Huge smart headache and I almost killed myself in the process. Anyway now I’m having the same error, and I was able to drive using only the gas engine for a few days. But now my engine won’t start when I turn it on. The radio, lights, fan, lights on the dashboard do but not the engine. And now every single slight is out on the dashboard. I tried resetting it by unplugging the red wire on the 12v battery and also the orange fuse on the hybrid. Didn’t fix. Any knowing what it can be? Also I have an OBD scanner and it says error P080A SAE drivetrain failure. But that error has been on the OBD since it first gave me issues 1.5 years ago.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe the hybrid battery again? pretty common. are you using tech stream to read the codes?

kenoarto likes this.
  3. GreenTea&SaltWater

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I used TechStream to see which battery cells were low. But last time my engine still ran now it won’t turn on

4. GreenTea&SaltWater

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    2010 Gen 3 Prius. 143k miles. Bought used at 126k. When I first got this car used 1.5 years ago within 100 miles of driving it an error came up on the dashboard with the message “check hybrid system”. Most of the lights started flashing. The gas engine still worked so I was able to run that but the hybrid no longer did. A $3000 repair to replace the hybrid battery I fixed myself by replacing 3 of the cells myself. Huge smart headache and I almost killed myself in the process. Anyway now I’m having the same error, and I was able to drive using only the gas engine for a few days. But now my engine won’t start when I turn it on. The radio, lights, fan, lights on the dashboard do but not the engine. And now every single slight is out on the dashboard. I tried resetting it by unplugging the red wire on the 12v battery and also the orange fuse on the hybrid. Didn’t fix. Any knowing what it can be? Also I have an OBD scanner and it says error P080A SAE drivetrain failure. But that error has been on the OBD since it first gave me issues 1.5 years ago.

Attached Files:

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if the battery is bad enough, it doesn't have the power to turn the engine over

kenoarto likes this.
  6. GreenTea&SaltWater

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I tried “jumó starting” by attaching a junp starter battery to it did not work

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You stated "I’m having the same error, and I was able to drive using only the gas engine for a few days.", which means the HV battery was working because that battery is what spins to engine to start it.

Then at some point, the engine would no longer start. And at a later point the dash board will not power up. This odd because all the car needs in order to power up the electronics is a good 12v battery. Perhaps the 12v has died or the connections aren't quite made up all the way.

I think you may mean you have a P0A80 code. That is "replace the hybrid battery pack". I have seen this be a permanent code and stay in memory even after the battery has been repaired. If so, it would show as a permanent code, not as a 'current' code. If it's showing as a current code, then it's new.

8. GreenTea&SaltWater

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    How could you check if a code is current or permanent? Are you saying since I’ve had that code even after I repaired the battery it is permanent? I checked the 12v voltage it is at 11.50v.

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This may not be THE problem, but it is a problem that should by testing it to determine if it needs be charged or replaced.

Some scanners will tell you the status of each code. Current, pending, history or permanent.

irt the permanent, there are several threads on the forum about the Gen 3's showing a P0A80 code under the permanent status for months after the HV battery has been replaced. Supposedly it will eventually clear itself but I don't think we've ever really come to a consensus as to how to get it to clear. Even techstream isn't able to reset it, or at least not the version I have.

10. GreenTea&SaltWater

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I’m gonna see if I can find someone to give me a jump start from car to car tomorrow morning see if that works

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need a new 12v. if a jump pack didn't work, and you know the pack is good (which you may not, since you seem to think 11.5v is not worth doing something about)

try taking the 12v neg off and jump directly to the cables

12. GreenTea&SaltWater

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I had someone just now try to jumpstart me. The voltage got up to 13.2-13.8v. The starter still didn’t kick in.

13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    the voltage is high enough, maybe it’s the starter. Are you able to locate the starter in the engine compartment?

bisco likes this.
  14. GreenTea&SaltWater

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I learned that Prius don’t have starters

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah don’t answer this, lol.

Grit and kenoarto like this.
  16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If there are warning lights and/or "check hybrid system" messages on the dash, then the car wants to tell you what the trouble is. Getting the trouble codes would be a much more productive path toward the solution than all of this thrashing.

Valiant V and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what thrashing?

Mendel Leisk and Grit like this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the 12v makes the car 'ready'. did the ready light come on? stop focusing on the engine, the 12v does not start it, but completes a necessary process so that the hybrid battery (if capable) can turn the engine over.

Valiant V and Samuel Williams Jr like this.
  19. Samuel Williams Jr

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well I am certainly not an expert. But as I understand the process, the 12 volt battery Boot's the start up process, computers and the computers (or whatever) start the High Volt Battery and that starts the engine?

It sounds like your repair of the High Voltage Battery did not take (for long)? If you drove it for a few day's and it was not charging the HV battery? Most likely the high voltage battery is flat now?

20. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    wack o mole stage 1 completed.

Samuel Williams Jr and bisco like this.