1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured “Misleading Promotions and Fraudulent Sales Tactics”

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ftl, Jul 14, 2015.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    from my perspective, anytime it's an auto dealership vs a consumer? guilty of all charges.

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    When is the last time you saw an advert that did not have the capacity to mislead ?

That is the conclusion I came to as well after reading the responses here. People are anti-dealership and do not really care about the facts.

FWIW, I avoid dealerships like the plague because they offer such poor value, but I can see political grandstanding at its finest.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So how high does gas have to go to pay off the "Atlantic Auto" premium?

Bob Wilson

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That is why there are advertizing fraud laws that spell out when the misleading has gone too far. Or do you think car companies should be free to use MPG number they want in ads? Too far, how about the official NEDC and JC08 figures in US ads?

I pointed out the contest mailers, because the laws likely are specific about having the odds and win conditions printed on or with the game piece. Another listed complaint was about two of the dealerships getting caught exceeding the level on misleading in their ads, being officially warned not to do so, and continuing with the practice anyway.

As I said, you have taken one complaint off a list that could be seen as prosecutorial over reach from the lack of details we have, and have taken it as evidence that all the charges are. I can't deny the AG's office might be grandstanding here, but that doesn't equate to overreach and the dealership is innocent.

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Doctors like to say that they know pus when they see it, even if they cannot define it.
    I feel the same way about fraud.

On the other hand, deceptive advertising is just about in eyes of the beholder of when it is too much. See my earlier post describing the advert of headache remedies and tell me what you think. I'll jump to the punchline and say that those adverts continue.

You are right that I did not give rebuttal to each of the NYS-AG's points. I did however read the PR that spent the most copy on the lottery, and then skimmed the other complaints that were even worse garbage.

#45 SageBrush, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015