1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

“System Malfunction” alerts

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Harry94025, Jul 25, 2023.

1. Harry94025

Harry94025 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Hi Guys,
    I picked up a 2023 Prius Prime XSE last week. Getting to know the car and it’s running fine, but I’ve gotten a System Malfunction alert twice now, both for the same two things.
    One alert is for the Pre-Collision System and the other shows other proximity sensors: B2E0CBF2-4651-46A5-AA95-9C5AFE1BAD45.jpeg 160922DC-56CE-4DAC-86AB-9FB13B6D8752.jpeg
    I have a service appointment for tomorrow morning, but wonder if anyone else has had the same or similar issue? The alert cleared the first time the next morning and I expect it may self-clear again tomorrow.
    Harry

#1 Harry94025, Jul 25, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2023
    Gokhan likes this.
  2. Harry94025

Harry94025 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Went to the dealer yesterday and the tech did a scan of the system. There’s a bad sensor in the back of the car which also talks to the PCS sensor; a new sensor has been ordered.

douglasjre, leftbrarian, JDS4 and 4 others like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    glad they found it (y)

Louis19 likes this.
  4. Louis19

Louis19 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    I agree , BTW is it me .... but it looks like brand new Prius Prime gen 5 are getting quite a few alerts of malfunctionning system calling for a visit to the dealer from the new owners . Is it new bugs related to this new generation , or is it the Quality Control less good because of the pressure to deliver the cars.
    If sifted thru the the alerts when the Prius prime gen 4 came , and it seems quite ok when the car came out......I was not a PC member at that time.....got mine in 2022 .......no bugs to report. Since you are a Senior member , your opinion could help validate my feelings that it is wise to wait a year after a new generation is put on the market ,Toyota or any other car manufacturer
    .......just realized that this post does maybe not be in the proper place ....would not like to upset @Tideland Prius

#4 Louis19, Jul 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2023
    bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i agree totally, but it depends on your risk tolerance. so far, nothing major, and hopefully they'll get the issues cleared up quickly.
    but the gen 4 had the leaking exhaust heat exchanger which toyota failed to acknowledge for a long time, and some dealers are still in the dark.
    and some things can take many years to come to light, like the gen 3 pistons and rings.
    fortunately, the gen 4 has been rock solid other than the heat exchanger, and had a lot of little things like the gen 5 that mostly got cleaned up.
    hopefully gen 5 will be the same or better.

Louis19 likes this.
  6. Harry94025

Harry94025 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Update: The new sensor came in and I brought the car to the dealer to have it replaced. The car was there all day and the service advisor called late afternoon to tell me the sensor was replaced but they couldn’t get it calibrated.
    The guy who is working on it is off today and will try to get it fixed tomorrow.
    So, they will have had my car for four days. Not a great start with having only 250 miles on the car…

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    brutal, did they give you a loaner?

8. Harry94025

Harry94025 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    They offered, but my wife and I have four cars for two drivers. Well, actually we now have three cars and one in the hospital

bisco likes this.
  9. Harry94025

Harry94025 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Update #2 - After working all day on trying to get the PCS sensor calibrated, the Toyota dealer’s service department called me late in the afternoon to tell me they couldn’t get the system to work and they now think the replacement sensor might also be bad. They said the car is drivable, but preferred to keep it in the shop because of the liability of releasing a car with an inoperative safety system. They want to contact the Toyota technical assistance people to get their help, so the car will stay there until at least Monday, possibly longer.

I’m a mechanical engineer by profession and an aircraft mechanic (A&P/IA) as an avocation; I have always done all the maintenance on my cars, motorcycles, and airplane myself. Their claim that two brand new sensors have failed struck me as being odd. I asked them whether there was a bench test procedure for the sensor, or a possible connectivity issue. They didn’t have any response for me so my only hope is that the factory technicians can get this corrected.

This is all getting documented in case I need to utilize the California automotive Lemon Law to get a refund. It’s a pity, just got my new license plates on Friday and they’re sitting on my workbench.

douglasjre likes this.
  10. Tiberius

Tiberius New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium

Had the exact same 2 errors - in my case they said this was the problem:

CHECK ON SYSTEM MALFUNCTION LIGHT ON AND CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON - CHECK AND REPORT
    B151287 Lost Communication with Steering Switch Control

Module Missing Message CORRECTION:
    REPLACED SPIRAL CABLE PARTS--FP-NUMBER 84307-47120

After the fix I had no more issues, it’s been about 6 or 7 weeks

douglasjre and Harry94025 like this.
  11. Harry94025

Harry94025 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Tiberius,
    This is excellent information! You had the same system malfunction indicators? If so, the problem is linked to the spiral cable, not the sensor, i.e., a connectivity issue…
    Thanks,
    Harry

douglasjre and Tiberius like this.
  12. Tiberius

Tiberius New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I should point out that I also had a a plug-in system malfunction error in addition to those 2 as I mentioned in another thread

13. Harry94025

Harry94025 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Update #3 - I called the service department and they said they talked to the Toyota factory technicians who advised them to try replacing another (same?) sensor. I had sent them the information from Tiberius but apparently they didn’t even bother to ask about this as a possibility.
    So they’ll have the car for three or four more days, minimum. This is getting really annoying, almost makes me wish I hadn’t bought the damn thing.
    What pisses me off is the lack of communication. They assume people don’t or can’t understand what is going on, but in fact I have more maintenance experience and tools than most of their mechanics.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tradespeople have some of the biggest ego's in the world. right behind doctors

Tiberius likes this.
  15. Chacalonbelico

Chacalonbelico New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I had the same problem, the dealership worked on my car for 7 days, but they finally got it fixed after consulting with Toyota headquarters technicians and I attached what they wrote on the paperwork. Looks like it was some spiral cable.

Attached Files:

16. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    You should offer to go in their shop and show them how it's done

#16 douglasjre, Nov 10, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
  17. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Problems like this will happen during the first model year. They should be fixed now in the 2024 model year, with very 2023 models left out there.

18. AndersOne

AndersOne Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Spurious correlation.
    Its not like they waited for 2024 to fix existing and known problems.

19. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Better be safe than sorry and wait for the 2024 model year. They are more likely to do bucket upgrades at the model-year change than at some random instance of time.

There was also a production gap between model years 2023–2024, which could be to do those upgrades.

20. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

They never replaced the spiral cable? It looks like just was a loose connector? The service manual give resistance or other values to check sensors. I wasted money on a new maf sensor on a car once, trying not to do that again. Codes do not mean a sensor is bad. Those things they told the dealership to do were things they should have done already.
    Reading the attach again, it does look like it was a connector not fully seated, nothing tested bad.

#20 Mr.Vanvandenburg, Nov 11, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2023