1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

“Unfortunately your file was cut by Toyota Canada at this time”

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Joe Cowie, May 16, 2022.

1. DaveYYC

DaveYYC New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I call BS on their claim. 1000 units? That’s a lot of units. Something sus is going on here. Did they give us too much of a discount? Sell more than their allocation? I’ll be calling Toyota Canada for more info.

Louis19 likes this.
  2. 00PowderSpecial

00PowderSpecial Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    That’s too bad, I’m hoping mine don’t get cancelled. 1000 units from one dealer is huge numbers.

3. blizzardgal

blizzardgal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Could be supply issues or could be simply dealer anticipates to be able to ask 4k or 5k market adjustment on a 1000 units. 4 or 5 million US dollars converted to Canadian how ever that much is. Fuel prices aren't coming down Blackrock's CEO change has to be forced.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota is likely cutting orders because of unanticipated supply chain problems.

everyone is having trouble in most every industry.

Montgomery likes this.
  5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I really want to believe you but that assumes dealers weren't always like this. I don't think they are acting any different than they've always been. We will continue to buy and get ripped off by dealers when this is all over. What else are we going to do? Buy straight from the manufacturer?

I'm about to go way out of budget and buy a Tesla Model Y because literally no Toyota dealer will take a deposit for a Sienna. At least none that won't tack on a $10k markup meaning I might as well put a deposit on a Y.

If I had to choose between putting a deposit down and patiently waiting 1 year or getting a call from the dealer randomly and then dropping everything I am doing and rushing to the dealer to sign papers, I know what I'd rather do. It's just like with a PS5 or a video card. Why don't companies take my deposit, enjoy the interest and give me a call when they have stock? Why does Toyota choose to "cut" the OP? It baffles my mind. Tesla and Rivian happily take my deposit. If someone works in the industry please enlightenment me. What is wrong with a wait list?

Merkey, Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’ve been noticing the Sienna too. Absolutely NOT in the cards for us, but a good choice for lots, with all levels hybrid now. If you could get one… Yeah, Toyota, and their dealership cohorts, haven’t got much longer to wake up.

Merkey likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  8. 00PowderSpecial

00PowderSpecial Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology

I've got to say my experience has been completely different when dealing with my local Toyota dealer. I have a 18 Tundra and a 15 Highlander now and have never been screwed around or charged any excess. Just ordered a '22 PP and it'll be at MSRP - federal rebate. They have been great to deal with so far

Sarge likes this.
  9. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And they have the audacity to release a 25th anniversary edition Sienna. 2023 Toyota Sienna Celebrates 25 Years with Special Edition
    Limited to 2525 units only. Oh, I better hurry to my local dealer or I'm going to miss out. :rolleyes:

Joe Cowie and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. Andy2

Andy2 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Joe, I see that Sherwood Toyota and Northwest Toyota in Edmonton are both advertising that they have a Prius Prime. You might want to check those out.

Joe Cowie likes this.
  11. withatwist

withatwist New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m wondering if you were able to get any info from Toyota Canada? I received the same email as well from an Adam. We had ordered from the dealership in Cochrane in March. At the time we were told that because the dealership was one of the highest volume dealers in the country that they were able to offer great pre-order incentives. In speaking with other dealerships, they are unable to come close to matching the pricing because it’s not feasible and they say that they are not a high volume dealer. Seems fishy, they have also not returned any calls or emails.

12. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not an expert in market analysis, but having been around for awhile, I would suggest waiting till mid to late next year to purchase a new car and even later if one can. Once the inventories start to rise, prices will drop, dealerships will be rolling out all kinds of trade-in incentives, rebates and creative financing. The manufacturing segment of the world was drastically hit when Covid forced the entire world to shut down. Most things cannot be completely built anymore. There is always one part that is missing to complete the manufacturing process. At first, most companies would take orders, wait for the parts to arrive and continue on. Now, the materials to make the parts that make the completion of the product are the culprit. The only thing that will change this is time. But when it comes, inventories will surge and prices will drop.

13. Joe Cowie

Joe Cowie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    After all of this I ended up ordering a 2023 Chevy bolt ev. 418km per charge with 0-60 in 6.5 sec and $26k US ($37k Cad).
    I was truly looking forward to my Prius prime, after they pulled the plug I went back to the drawing board and came to the realization I didn’t need a long range ice and I didn’t want a short range battery… so full ev it is!

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! great little car from everything i've read.

all the best!

Louis19 and Merkey like this.
  15. Louis19

Louis19 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Congrats ! When do you expect your new car to be delivered ?
    I see you live in Calgary , how is the charging infrastructure in your region if longer range is needed ?
    It's been a long and winding road for you ..contemplating buying a Prime but being left out by Toyota Canada:(
    All the best

#35 Louis19, Jul 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  16. Joe Cowie

Joe Cowie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    Given we’ll use this car as our daily driver and home each night the charging infrastructure doesn’t matter as I’ll be charging at home with a level 1 and eventually a level 2 charger. GM will install a level 2 outlet with a $1500 credit that every 22/23 bolt ev buyer gets for free which is really sweet. Other then that there a lots of chargers around our town and city but to fill for less the $5 for a full charge at home can’t be beat.
    Car is being built next week and arrives in the fall. Avg wait time from date of order to arrival is sitting around 4-6 months.

Louis19 likes this.
  17. Joe Cowie

Joe Cowie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    I was dealing with cochrane Toyota

18. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on the new BEV purchase. After you get your Bolt which is likely to be the last model year GM is going to make, please let us know how it handles extreme cold in Alberta. We have a few Canadian owners of PPs in very cold areas of Canada like Winnipeg and it seems to be performing OK, albeit EV not being available on the coldest days (i.e. engine will automatically start). I am very curious how a BEV handles such a cold climate without having a gas engine to fall back to.

Good luck.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Classic baffle-speak.

Clicked on the "New Car Inventory" link of my local dealership website just now, got this:

Hmmmm.... We couldn't find anything matching exactly, but here's some vehicles you may be interested in:

Not just no new Prius: no new anything.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats!

4-6 months is short in this market of 1-2 years! You'll love EV driving and the price can't be beat!

My colleague did a road trip with the fam in his Bolt (with the newly replaced battery) to their cabin and enjoyed it.

Joe Cowie likes this.