1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

0-50 MPH EV Acceleration Videos

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Tracksyde, Mar 6, 2012.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The threshold is 100 km/h (62.1 mph).

2. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks, John. I viewed your videos and read your posts from when you had the prototype. They definitely helped me make my decision to go with the PiP. Again, no pressure :D, but I can't wait until you get your car.

3. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks John. I wonder how they did that?? I thought the trans-axle and generator components were similar?

I have enjoyed your videos and look forward to seeing your first runs in the new vehicle.

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    0-50 in 14s is almost spot on for 27 kW average power based on kinetic energy: 0.5 * (22.4 m/s)^2 * 1500 kg/14s = 26.9 kW. Integrating current * voltage via i.e. Torque would be definitive.

Such energy consumption is about 0.1 kWh (0.105). Somewhere I saw reference to 8.74 km/kWh, or 5.42 miles/kWh, so this acceleration consumed approximately 0.55 miles of range. The miles of EV gauge is probably not too far off.

Nice stuff. I am envious!

2 people like this.
  5. jbrad4

jbrad4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    One thing you have to remember in comparing the pre-production PiP is that it still had a NiMH HV battery plus the two Li-Ion batteries. From what I've read the Li-Ion batteries will produce a higher current than NiMH. So, the battery technology is different from the 2012 PiP.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Oopps, typo for the both of us. 27 kw, or 3 kw.

Not kwh.

1 person likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the video! It does sound pretty cool under acceleration (then again, what EV doesn't?!?). I didn't even realise the engine came on (didn't hear it through the speakers) until I re-read your post and replayed the video and specifically looked at the mpg gauge.

It had 3 Li-Ion packs.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Some people like videos, I like graphs :)

If the car weighs 1500 kg and the battery discharges at 27 kw, the speed (in mph) vs time looks like this:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4 people like this.
  9. HillCountryEVer

HillCountryEVer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow, great chart!! I'd love to see the data for the Demonstrator PiP as well as the curve for a G3 Prius Hatchback (as far as all EV-only acceleration would go) added to your chart...would be very cool!

:rockon:

Thanks again -

10. HillCountryEVer

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just a quick update to this, I tried a quick unscientific test last night with my 2011 G3 Prius, accelerating from 0 to 30 and staying just under the PWR section (ICE was definitely on) on the HSI took 14.5 seconds using my iPhone timer on a fairly level road...PiP is looking good!

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The regular Prius max out at 15hp from the battery before the gas engine kicks in. That's how it is in my Gen II. Gen III should be similar.

12. HillCountryEVer

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    By the way, this was with the ECO mode turned on. I noticed that the original videos for this thread were in Normal - EV Mode (No ECO and No PWR), I wonder how the EV-only acceleration performance would be for the PiP if it were in ECO or in PWR? The same? Different? Interesting...:confused:

13. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Being in Eco or PWR doesn't change how much power there is right? Its just throttle mapping isnt it? Meaning, if I'm at the end of the range on the HSI, right before it gets into the PWR section, then it shouldn't matter which mode I'm in, correct?

I thought being in PWR mode might make it feel like it was quicker, but it wouldn't really matter. Also, I'm thinking PWR mode is "an HV" mode, so it would be harder to stay in EV?

14. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I had also posted pre-production videos. Trying again w/ a ScanGauge (or similar tool) on a production car would be the most revealing (along with graphs).

Not to nit, but it's not HP that's accelerating the car, rather, it's torque ;)

2 people like this.
  15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not to pic nits either, but since one horse po­wer is defined as 550 foot-pounds of torque "per second" - that means that either/both are equally valid representations of force.

;)

16. babybird

babybird Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The real test would be how many of those 1/10ths come back upon stopping, since some percentage of that power would be returned through regen. I think the PiP would regain more power than a standard Gen 3 due to the battery pack being able to handle higher current-- that means it should be able to handle a higher regen current too. So the real comparison isn't how many 1/10ths are lost from hard acceleration, but the delta between hard and light acceleration and hard and light braking or gliding to a stop. That .5 miles of range isn't all lost due to hard acceleration, it's lost due to acceleration period-- only some is lost due to hard acceleration.

All of which brings up another interesting question in my mind. How much harder can the PiP brake using only regen vs. the non-PiP version? It would be interesting to me to see the time and distance difference side-by-side. I've been watching the HV current on my SG II lately so I can try to develop a seat of the pants feel for the optimal braking in my Gen 2 since I don't have an HSI bar available, and I seem to get the best bang for the buck results from around 50-60 amps of regen, and maybe slightly better over all results with around 40-45 amps of regen. Curious to see the difference with the PiP.

17. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't think it works that way. There is a fixed amount of kinetic energy when the Prius is moving at a certain speed (neglecting differences in mass between the Liftback and the Plug-in for the moment). The amount of that energy that can be recovered by regen is limited by the efficiency of the regenerative braking, not the amount of power that can be dumped into the battery. The harder the braking, the lower the efficiency. For example, in the Prius Liftback, the optimal efficiency is very slow braking, so slow that there is still light pedal pressure on the accelerator.

So while you could potentially brake harder before friction brakes kicks in the Prius Plug-in, you would recover less energy due to the lower regen efficiency..

18. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So to get the most regeneration is to coast to a stop no brakes at all.

19. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    No, b/c coasting means no braking, regenerative or otherwise.

20. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ah! So light braking to a slow stop :)