1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

0-60mph ECO vs. PWR

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Tideland Prius, Apr 20, 2010.

1. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Huh?? My analysis reveals that it's definitely faster in B mode than in Park.

2. awgondzur

awgondzur Junior Member

We need an Insane mode, like Tesla. Anybody hacked a Prius to achieve such??

migs likes this.
  3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Actually, it -could- be faster 0-60 in eco mode. Probably isn't, as the A/C may be switched off when you go to full throttle, but if it wasn't, in eco there is less power "wasted" on creature comforts than when in pwr mode.

There, that should start a full discussion. ;)

awgondzur likes this.
  4. migs

migs Junior Member

Model:
    V

SM-G900T ?

5. Taoist Runner

Taoist Runner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Okay, it’s nearly another three years on and about eight from the beginning. I haven’t been able to read all the contributions to this thread, but I read most of them. Did anyone finally figure out that Eco mode is turned off once the Pwr zone is entered on the acceleration curve? So that, no, the car does not accelerate as quickly in Eco mode as it does in Pwr mode, and no, an equal amount of power is not available in both modes!

So, and I’m very grateful if it is through repetition that the answer is supplied to me, how fast does the 2010 Prius accelerate 0-60 staying in Eco mode—which is the only reasonable interpretation of the question of how fast it accelerates in Eco mode—and how fast does it accelerate 0-60 in Pwr mode? If anyone can give an acceleration breakdown, such as 0-30, 30-45, 45-60, for each mode, that would be awesome!

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am not sure why you wish to beat this dead horse? At full throttle, there is no difference between PWR, Normal, and ECO mode's acceleration. (If you have A/C on, ECO may be best, but I doubt it.)

All the modes do is map the gas pedal differently between idle and full throttle. It has been 8 years, no one has been able to measure a difference. (at full throttle)

Starship16 likes this.
  7. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Your probably right, but my right foot and overall sense of movement still says:

#107 dubit, Aug 25, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    Starship16 and RMB like this.
  8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, nobody has figured it, because as best we know, it simply isn't true.

But remember that we aren't talking about the whole PWR zone, we are talking only about the endpoint where the pedal is mashed all the way down. If you back off from that a bit, then of course there is a difference, because the mapping curves are not the same there. But no one measuring these time-speed metrics will be backing off the pedal at all.

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. Maarten28

Maarten28 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No, eco mode is not turned off when you go into the power zone. The eco indicator above to the HSI is just an indicator that the HSI is not in the Pwr zone. It has no relation to the ECO or PWR modes (or the remapping of the throttle that this accomplished) that you can choose with the buttons.
    It is just an indicator, nothing more.

Also that is not true, or at least it is contrary to everything Toyota claims.

Starship16 likes this.
  10. Taoist Runner

Taoist Runner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What is the purpose of the Eco mode of the car? It is to encourage the driver to enter an Eco mode of the driver’s own and to facilitate the driver actualizing Eco driving. When you talk about using full throttle and mashing the pedal all the way down and claiming to still be in Eco mode, you’re not considering the entire system.

I apologize that my original post, especially where I say “staying in Eco mode,” was not sufficient to communicating my observations and curiosities.

Thank you for trying. I’ll get someone to ride with me with a stopwatch and we’ll come up with something close enough for my purposes.

Be well,
    T R

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Eco mode allows more pedal travel early without a lot of gas consumed. (it also derates the A/C)
    Normal is more linear pedal travel to gas consumed.
    Pwr adds gas early with little pedal travel.

They are get to the same place in the end.

So Eco gets abrupt in the later pedal travel, normal is still linear, and Pwr has lots of pedal late in the travel for little more gas.

If you spend a great deal of time 25 and under, Eco may help you fine tune your acceleration, if you spend all your time over 80 MPH, you may get better control in Pwr.

If, like me, you spend 95% of the time with Cruise Control on, it makes no difference at all. (except the A/C part)

Maarten28, RMB and fuzzy1 like this.