1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

01 p1636 and p3002

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by FxsX24, Nov 25, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sounds like the 12 VDC battery solved the problem. As for operation, just drive ... you're OK.

Bob Wilson

2. FxsX24

FxsX24 V8 Powered Chevy S10

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok the light has not returned, but we are still averaging 37 mpg. it used to average above 40

thinking of changing

plugs
    air filter
    fuel filter

what ellse can i change to help fix this?

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is no fuel filter to change. If you want to change the filter you'll have to replace the entire fuel tank.

With concerns about engine misfire, if you replace the spark plugs I recommend you purchase the correct iridium spark plugs which will cost around $12 each. Don't cheap out with inexpensive platinum plugs.

Check cold tire pressure and inflate to the maximum cold pressure shown on the sidewall, which is usually 44 psi.

Also, you should expect lower mpg in the winter.

1 person likes this.
  4. FxsX24

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

triangle of death came back on, had to cycle the key for it to come back on. how do i see why the light came on

5. FxsX24

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. FxsX24

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    car started, idled for about 30 seconds, triangle came on. warning on screen came on. she shutdown the car, the DTC is 3191

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Checklist:

1. fuel?
    2. sticky throttle?
    Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  8. FxsX24

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    throttle does not stick, and it had fuel at the time

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Regarding DTC P3191, see the TSB that I posted here:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/generation-1-prius-discussion/56343-computer-replacement-under-tsb.html

First, take care of basics: replace the iridium spark plugs with the correct brand and model. Make sure engine oil viscosity is 5W-30 and is not overfilled. Look at the throttle body interior. If you see a dark accumulation of gunk on the throttle plate or throttle body interior, clean it off. When the car is IG-OFF you can rotate the spring-loaded throttle plate shaft by hand to look at the underside of the throttle plate.

The fuel pump is a suspect in no-start situations. Measure fuel line pressure which should be 43 psi at idle speed. If pressure is low, check the circuit opening relay before replacing the fuel tank.

The relay is located in the relay/fuse box near the inverter. You can check the relay by removing it from the socket, applying 12VDC to the coil terminals, then measuring resistance across the switched terminals using a digital multimeter. If more than 0.5 ohm after accounting for resistance of the multimeter leads, replace the relay.

If you still have DTC P3191, then replace the engine ECU located behind the glove box. See the TSB for the correct part number, you may be able to buy a salvage unit for $300 or so.

1 person likes this.
  10. FxsX24

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The update on the situation= a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix, she finally got sick of the car (for many reasons) so with 232597 miles on it, it will either see another life at auction of be scraped by the dealer

Thanks for the help that i got on here, i wih the best to all the prius owners out there

11. Dman90

Dman90 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    You needed a new hybrid battery

12. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did somebody just reply to a thread that is almost 5 years old?
    TomK

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    By itself I guess that'd just be kind of funny, but this seems more strange. The poster has been a member since 5 October and made a first post that seemed pretty normal. (Also seems like it slid through the cracks and nobody answered it ... I wish I had noticed it myself.) Then nothing for a while. Then suddenly over just the last six days, a whole series of posts that sort of look like capping somebody's existing thread with some all-confident, truthy conclusion (like "you needed a new hybrid battery" in a thread where none of the facts implicated the battery). The others kind of sound the same.

Might just be an odd sense of humor, but the trouble is it can kind of reduce the information value of old threads that new visitors might end up looking at.
    -Chap

14. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let's hope it was made in fun but you are right in that it can mislead a new user searching for useful information.
    TomK

15. EddieAtl

EddieAtl HYBRIDATL

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello Everyone,
    Don't know if I am in the right forum section but I have a 2001 Prius and the codes P1636, P3002 & P0420 popped up, I bought this car in 2011 with 130k and fell in love with this car. Presently is around 170k. It seems to be running fine, the only thing that I have noticed is that the fuel consumption went down from 44 miles per gallon to 32 even though I purchased brand new LRR Tires with out any luck in bringing the miles p/g up. Need some help! :( Any advise that I can get will be appreciated!
    Thank you

16. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cold weather will do this. In the warmer months I get 50+. Two tanks ago I got 42. This current tank I am running at 35 as it was 6 degrees this morning. Could make sure you do not have a brake caliper hanging.
    TomK

17. EddieAtl

EddieAtl HYBRIDATL

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One