1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

01 Prius Catalytic Converter & Multiple Codes

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by GenieThe01Prius, May 13, 2017.

1. GenieThe01Prius

GenieThe01Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hey. Be warned I use smilies a lot. I'm new here but have been a Prius Loyalist for years (y). I have a 2001 Toyota Prius with 138k miles on it (treat it very nice). Recently I took it in to the stealership for an oil change and tire rotation and was told I had a check engine light on (wasn't on when I took it) and that my transmission and catalytic converter needed replacement. I was quoted at $8000 for transmission and catalytic converter replacement:eek:. I was also told it had multiple codes C0200, 0215,1256,1259. I looked them up and they had nothing to do with my transmission or catalytic converter.

b100 likes this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Get Mini VCI so you can retrieve the fault codes yourself.

2. What warning lights are on now?

3. Does the car demonstrate any abnormal behavior?

4. GenieThe01Prius

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The only Warning light that is on is the CEI. I jacked up the car at all the wheels and the front right (C0200 I assume) twitched forward while in park. Like twitch like "Hey I'm a alive still." Once it stops raining here in NJ I will be cleaning off all of the ABS sensors (hopefully that stops the ABS issue).
    The only odd behavior is a weird jet engine sound and a stutter when going slowly from a complete stop. I think because the ABS is shooting faults the traction control is trying to compensate.

5. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you do your own work? My guess is that you'll need an ABS pump and a couple of wheel speed sensor. Only a guess as you're in NJ and I'm in Tucson and all you report is the code.

As for the cat, if it isn't throwing a code, it's probably okay. The code for that and a bad O2 sensor is P0240. I just replaced the cat and the sensor last week. I don't know about the transmission. They hardly ever go out, to my knowledge.Your car is very low mileage to be having these problems

BTW, welcome to Prius Chat.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The four DTC that you listed are all produced by the skid control ECU. As you probably know, C0200 and C0215 relate to faults with the right front and left rear wheel sensors. C1256 relates to the brake actuator and C1259 means that the hybrid vehicle regeneration function is not working. There may be other DTC logged by the hybrid vehicle ECU which you did not list. That is why I suggested you need to retrieve the DTC yourself using Mini VCI to understand all of the available clues.

If the check engine light is on, then the engine ECU will have logged DTC which you did not list in your original post.

The "weird jet engine sound" implies that you have a failing bearing in the transaxle. The two likely failure modes of the transaxle are 1) electrical: a failed stator winding in one of the motor-generators resulting in a high voltage ground fault at minimum, and motor failure following soon thereafter; and 2) mechanical: a failed bearing.

The stutter implies that you have a motor generator failure besides the transaxle bearing failure which results in inadequate torque to smoothly move the car at low speeds. The Prius Atkinson gasoline engine produces poor torque at low RPM and that must be supplemented by torque produced by MG2.

How often have you replaced the transaxle ATF? If your answer is "never", the transaxle failure can be attributed to that. At this time, you can try draining the ATF and dropping the drain pan to see how much crud and metallic debris has accumulated. Use a new pan gasket and the correct Toyota ATF T-IV when refilling the transaxle ATF, 5 quarts are needed.

Obviously it makes no sense to spend $8K on repairs for a 2001 Prius whose market value when all repairs are complete will be $2K, if you are lucky. So if the findings of your dealer are confirmed, you can look into having an independent install a used transaxle. If the catalytic converter needs to be replaced, you can have an aftermarket unit installed.

Or, tow the car to a salvage yard, drop off the keys and title, and be done with it.

#6 Patrick Wong, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017
    GenieThe01Prius likes this.
  7. GenieThe01Prius

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks Brian for the warm welcome.

Worked on it today. First I removed all the ABS sensors behind the brakes and cleaned them. c0200 and c0215 are now gone. C1256 I used a paper clip and an instruction manual for older ABS brakes (turn key one click and pump brakes 10 times turn off turn complete on) C1256 now gone. The paperclip was to link obd2 pin 4 and 13 (
    ) which hard reset the computer. After I had done all the work I went to auto zone for a scan since I don't have the MINI VCI. Only code the car reads is c1259... still not getting codes to replace the cat...

Patric Wong thank you for your input. I will be doing those next steps.

8. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Rear wheel bearing are easy to replace and cheap. can get them for about 30 bucks apiece on ebay. Don't even have to remove the rear brake shoes, just the drums.