1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

01 prius thinking ahead for ideas in case hv battery quits

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by scotman27, Sep 7, 2012.

1. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello:
    My last post was in regards to maintaining the HV battery.
    This post is in regards to when this battery finally exhausts its life.
    I wanted to get some ideas as to what and where I should look when the HV battery goes.
    Should I rebuild it,
    Buy one from Toyota(I heard they are batteries that have been sitting, and they dont stand behind them),
    Buy from Reinvolt (are they proven),
    Rebuild one using GEN 2 cells or stay with GEN 1.
    Or if it has been perfected, spend the money and get a lithium pack (I know Reinvolt is or was working on lithium replacement)?
    I will be removing and installing the pack myself.

Advice is appreciated.

thank you,
    Scott

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you can remove and install the traction battery, then you can rebuild it. I would use G2 or G3 modules, the newest that you can purchase.

I definitely would not use used G1 modules because of their advanced age, they are ~10 years old at least.

3. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    how hard is it to do? I read about modding the case and and the wiring, is this true?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't needed to do this because 1) my Classic traction battery was replaced under warranty and 2) I sold that car before another battery failure happened. However I understand that use of the 2G modules results in a tight fit of the battery cover.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would recommend looking at instrumentation first so you can diagnose a problem. As for the repairs, I concur with Patrick's advice.

In my case, I didn't want to have to 'fiddle' with rebuilding so I paid ReInvolt $1,700 and had a local mechanic do the 'heavy lifting.' If it were at all interesting, I would have done it myself but I'd already helped a neighbor replace his . . . I only like to do 'fun stuff.' <grins>

Bob Wilson

6. Pristina

Pristina Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Bob, how long have you had your ReInvolt now? Do you still stand by it?
    My battery fan has been staying on for morning trips lately. I am trying to gain feedback on ReInvolt before I need to act.

7. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I have read, when your gen1 hv battery fails there is a good chance it is only a single cell or a small number of them. Rather than rebuild with all new cells it seems like the first pass would be to just replace the failed cell(s) with gen1 cells, rebalance, and keep driving. the second pass seems to be the time to do a whole replacement.

8. Pristina

Pristina Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    That is good advice, I just can't do it myself. I might have a mechanic to do it but I have wondered, if I buy a few on ebay which is the only place I have found individual cells, how do I know they would hold up?
    Plus...some history: I am pretty sure from past discussions that I need the whole plug&play. I have been told that there seems to be some burnt wiring between the battery cells and the ECU. I haven't wanted to pay the guy to go back in since he is very vague and the car is running.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Three years in November with no significant problems. I did do a 'forced charge' early this summer when it was over 100F and this heated the battery enough to throw up a warning. But after letting it cool off, no problem. The forced charge heats the traction battery and it was a dumb move on my part.

Bob Wilson

10. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    maybe you need to invite beefive to come visit

Plan of action for no start issue (battery related) | PriusChat

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The biggest problem is weight. It is about 90 lbs and this is not something that should be moved about by one person unless they have a good cart, gloves, and a foolish attitude. But two people can handle it no problem.

Once on the bench, the actual rebuild is fairly straight forward. However, there was a recent posting by someone whose 3d rebuild 'let the smoke out.' We don't know what exactly happened but the photos are pretty dramatic. Still, it is rare and should be easily avoided.

Of all aspects, balancing the modules is the technically most challenging part. Although there may be other opinions, I went with ReInvolt because they have a large inventory and survey the modules when they come in. This means they can assemble packs with modules of known capacity versus . . . less formal means.

The key is equal capacity modules that have a common, initial charge. Technically not that radical, it still takes some thinking and planning. If you are interested we could go over the theory and practice.

Bob Wilson

12. Pristina

Pristina Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    But what about all of the additional parts I would need...bus bars, wires and maybe ECU depending on the damage I think is there? Would I then replace all of those parts individually also? Last time I looked at used Gen2-3 batteries when considering rebuilding with 2, they were around $800 ea. which would make a ReInvolt appear sensible...assuming it would hold up awesomely. What do you think about the fan running frequestly? Is that a failure indicator as the first mechanic insinuated?
    Also, I saw that post you referred to about his strange heat incident.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes. What happens is the weak or shorted module becomes a heat source. The current that flows into and out of it just makes that part of the pack hotter and hotter. So the modules on each side are also stressed. It never gets any better.

I am a fan of ReInvolt because I know David Taylor does a quality job and stands by his work. There are two shops in the San Francisco areas that I would also trust and the folks in Colorado sound serious. Because David Taylor is in North Carolina, I suspect you might be able to drive there (give him a call first!) It may take a day or two with frequent stops to let the battery cool. But first check the Google map distance to Summit NC and talk with David. I think you are nearly 700 miles away and that is a bit of a stretch for a failing battery. I would trust David's call.

A better solution is to let David ship the pack to your mechanic and let the mechanic swap it out and ship the old one back. Shipping is extra but reasonable. Better because there is less chance of being stranded in a strange place.

A third option is the Prius shop over on the east coast but they are strangers to me. They may be very good and willing . . . give them a call. At less than 200 miles, it could work if they sound reasonable. Pack an overnight bag.

Bob Wilson

14. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    you could ship the car to David, ride with it, and then drive it back when finished.

www.uship.com

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you can find the pdf file of instructions for Toyota's module resealing campaign of several years ago, it gives a part number for a replacement-parts kit they created for that campaign that has most of that stuff in it (not the ECU though). Last I checked you could still order that part number; a pretty convenient way to get a bunch of parts with one simple order.

-Chap

16. Pristina

Pristina Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes I have that PDF from Patrick Wong. Thank you

17. Pristina

Pristina Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    If I go with them, I will ship both ways because they are very backed up (like a couple of weeks) assuming due to the heat affecting the batteries this summer. It would be a couple of weeks without the car, but if I have a solid one on the other side I can deal with that. I just need to fix the leak so that I don't risk water getting into that area of the car and messing up a new battery (may be over analyzing).

18. guggenheim

guggenheim New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for this discussion thread. I know the thread is a couple of months old but I'm curious what you decided to do and how your experience has been.

I have a 2002 Toyota Prius and my HV/traction battery is failing for the first time. I'd like to see what options have worked!

Thanks!
    Ben

19. Pristina

Pristina Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Nice to hear from you! I am in the same boat.

I have the car posted for sale but the other option I have considered for months is to buy a Reinvolt. My main issues with it is that I need to have it reliably installed once it arrives and I have no guarantee that the Transaxle or other parts won't fail due to the radical change in power.

What are you considering?

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Transaxles and other parts do sometimes fail, but I've never heard it suggested that a "change in power" from battery replacement contributed. Ok, the battery ECU might allow some more intensive use of assist or regen when it knows the capacity is there, so I can't say for sure there's no such effect. But it sounds like a stretch and isn't the way I'd bet. Did some mechanic suggest that was a concern?

-Chap