1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

01 Prius wont start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Joekingiam, May 23, 2007.

1. Joekingiam

Joekingiam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II

I am looking for help to self diagnose my startup problem. The main battery warning light is on, brake light is on, and triangle. The small battery is charged. What now?
    Joe

2. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yikes. I think only a dealer (with the diagnostic doohickey) can break the bad news to you---or not. If your 12V is OK, doesn't sound good. Let us know.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joekingiam @ May 22 2007, 11:27 PM) [snapback]447847[/snapback]</div>
    What is the voltage of the 12VDC battery with the car 'off' and then 'on'?

When the battery fails, a charger may indicate it is charged. The voltage readings with and without a load is the real determinant.

Bob Wilson

4. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if main battery light is on on the classic prius it indicates that the HV battery has insufficient power to start the vehicle, and / or battery ECU issues.

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

many possibilities, main relay, main fuse, ECM, fuel pump relay. The dealer THHT will tell all.

6. Joekingiam

Joekingiam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ May 23 2007, 01:59 AM) [snapback]447915[/snapback]</div>
    I appreciate the obvioous take it to the dealer. The small batt is charged and starts my dodge caravan fine.
    Joe

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ May 23 2007, 04:49 AM) [snapback]447982[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks,
    I will try the voltmeter on it disconnected, connected, and while cranking, can you tell me what these readings should be?
    Joe

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(statultra @ May 23 2007, 09:34 PM) [snapback]448646[/snapback]</div>

What does HV stand for? Does this battery function the same as standard batt cranking amps in conventional vehicle? When you say battery ECU, are those seperate issues?
    Joe

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ May 24 2007, 01:49 AM) [snapback]448848[/snapback]</div>

Sounds like I have a lot of testing to do. The main fuse has continuity both ways. How can I test the main relay or the ECU?
    Joe

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joekingiam @ May 24 2007, 08:16 AM) [snapback]448958[/snapback]</div>
    Above 12.5 VDC when starting and with the key to "ON" and the check engine light on. If it is in the 11 VDC range, it is too low and the 12V battery is suspect.

Once running, it should settle around 13.5 VDC.

If the other vehicle is handy and you are careful about the polarity, you might use its battery as a boost but don't run the engine. The 12 VDC battery is supplying electrons for the control computers, not actually cranking the ICE. However, they do like to have enough voltage or they get a little 'cranky.'

Bob Wilson

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joekingiam @ May 24 2007, 08:16 AM) [snapback]448958[/snapback]</div>
    Above 12.5 VDC when starting and with the key to "ON" and the check engine light on. If it is in the 11 VDC range, it is too low and the 12V battery is suspect.

Once running, it should settle around 13.5 VDC.

If the other vehicle is handy and you are careful about the polarity, you might use its battery as a boost but don't run the engine. The 12 VDC battery is supplying electrons for the control computers, not actually cranking the ICE. However, they do like to have enough voltage or they get a little 'cranky.'

Bob Wilson

8. Joekingiam

Joekingiam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joekingiam @ May 24 2007, 09:16 AM) [snapback]448958[/snapback]</div>

I tested batt when turnng key and there was no change from 12.1
    Battery starts my caravan no problem.
    Joe

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joekingiam @ May 24 2007, 04:56 PM) [snapback]449387[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think anyone has done a full study by IMHO, 12.1 seems on the low side. But regardless, it is time to get the vehicle to the dealer and let them read out the codes. Ask them to write them down on the ticket and let us know what they find.

Bob Wilson

10. Joekingiam

Joekingiam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ May 25 2007, 12:37 AM) [snapback]449610[/snapback]</div>
    thanks for the replys, Its not time yet so I'll wait until I find out more info and learn a little more before I give it to the dealer. I have all the time in the world right now.
    Joe

11. c4

c4 Active Member

If the displays in the car come on, chances are that the 12V battery is fine, but being able to start your other conventional auto is not indicative of anything in the Prius..

This is because the Prius does *NOT* have a conventional starter.. It in fact has two batteries in it- the 12V and a big 273.6V hybrid battery (in the trunk, under the hump at the back). The 12V battery is used to power up all the computers in the car and to close the relays that connect the big hybrid battery. Once this is done, the hybrid battery powers the electric motors in the transaxle to rotate the engine and start the car.

Therefore, even if you had a brand new 12V battery, it would not help you start your car if anything else in the chain is dead: any of the ECUs, the hybrid battery, the relays, the voltage converter module, the motors, etc.. Most of this stuff can only be diagnosed with a code scanner.. Certain OBD-2 scanners can at least read the basic codes from the Prius, but more detailed diagnosis requires the tester used by the dealer.. If your problem is the hybrid battery, repeated attempts to start will only further deplete it, and if it gets too low, you may end up having to replace it (several thousand dollars for a new one), so I would really suggest getting the dealer to look at it as without the codes, there's nothing else you can really learn with a simple voltmeter..

1 person likes this.
  12. Joekingiam

Joekingiam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joekingiam @ May 23 2007, 12:27 AM) [snapback]447847[/snapback]</div>
    The cleaning service 40G was done 2004, The Battery connectors are very corroded now, what can I use to clean them?
    Joe

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Joe, to undertake this personally, I would want to obtain from Toyota the SSC 40G 'rebuild kit" which includes new buss bars, boric acid, some sort of silicone sealant, and detailed instructions and precautions. Potentially very dangerous.

Not sure this would be a better option than a used battery from a salvage vehicle dismantler, because one or more of your cells may have leaked important quantities of electrolyte already.

14. jjulander

jjulander New Member

I seem to have had the same problem on my 2002 prius. It happened a few times when it was quite cold, once when it wasn't so cold but the battery had died and I had to charge it. Anyways what happened to me is I started the car then just about every warning light possible came on then the car died. I didn't want to take the car to the dealer so I got on the internet and did some searching and I discovered that 01 and 02 prius have a bug in the software that causes all the warning lights usually when it is cold. It was fixed for 03+. What I did is I tried starting it again and it and the car died. I tried a few more times and finally it started and stayed on, but the warning lights were still on. Then I actually drove the car around until it warmed up then I stopped, turned it off and then back on and the warning lights were no longer on.
    I don't know if you are having the same problem, like I said it usually happened to me when it was cold.
    hope this helps

15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Hey Dakota, I think that you have the other problem. A new ECM with a part number ending in -47 (or better) will usually fix it. Cleaning soot from the throttle butterfly might also help.

Joe is convinced that he has corrosion on HV battery connections, and maybe some under-charged modules as well. He may very well be correct, as a consequence of the SSC 40G not done well enough. My major goal is somehow to keep him alive during the fixing and recharging steps.

16. Joekingiam

Joekingiam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Jun 16 2007, 03:44 PM) [snapback]463089[/snapback]</div>
    Yea, Pray for me.
    Joe

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I *am* praying for you, Joe. How are you fixed for thick rubber gloves?

18. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Jun 16 2007, 03:44 PM) [snapback]463089[/snapback]</div>
    make that -54. ;)

now... if the 40g recall didn't stop the corrosion, it wasn't done properly. take it back to the dealer and have them do it. NO SENSE IN RISKING YOUR OWN LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(excessive exclamation points for emphasis, hybrid training is 99.9999% how to not get yourself killed.)

19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Thanks Galaxee, you are 100% correct. For those who would like to take a peek at the beast, see current ebay auction # 140129723552. I believe that their model fitment info is incorrect, but have not received response to an ebay email on the subject. Caveat emptor as always, except when buying Prius service at DH's shop.

20. Joekingiam

Joekingiam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Jun 18 2007, 09:50 AM) [snapback]463928[/snapback]</div>
    Hey thnx for the prayers, I have 12 modules reconditioned and am enthused. 26 to go.
    Voltages are 7.1 - 7.4
    Joe