1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

02 air conditioning fans

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bigblock67, Jul 31, 2021.

1. bigblock67

bigblock67 433K with new cells

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do both fans kick on when pushing AC button. How do they operate . 2002
    Thanks

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wiring diagram's definitely worth 1000 words for Gen 1.

It's the usual Prius arrangement, three relays, two fans, series for low speed, parallel for high speed.

The ECM gets a vote (if it thinks the engine needs more cooling). The A/C Amplifier gets a vote, if it thinks more cooling is needed for A/C. There's a separate single contact on the refrigerant pressure switch that gets its own separate vote. The water temperature switch in the inverter cooling loop gets a vote.

If no votes, the fans don't run. If the inverter temp is the only vote, both fans run low speed. Add any other vote and they both run high speed. If anybody else votes and the inverter temperature doesn't, looks like one fan runs high speed and the other is off.

Weird.

I think Gen 2 had a similar-but-not-the-same Rube Goldberg control arrangement mixing real switches and ECU outputs. It wasn't until Gen 3 they finally said "you know, we'll just drive all three relays from the ECM and use software to decide when to run the silly fans."

#2 ChapmanF, Jul 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  3. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would have mentioned that this was a Gen 2 forum and you own only Gen 1 and Gen 3 but after I saw the list of classic cars that you own, I was too awestruck. Amazing collection.

4. bigblock67

bigblock67 433K with new cells

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am having a problem finding Gen 1 forum. Very little patience and very little time. These cars keep me very busy as I like to fix stuff myself. It’s getting tougher at my age. probably give up on chasing this AC issue. Over my head
    Thanks for note
    Don

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's a subforum under Gen 2. Lots of people have trouble finding it.