1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

03 Prius Wont Start, Fuel Blinks, MFD Restarts w/Ignition

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Grim187, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Grim187

Grim187 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    this is my girlfriends car, her brother cleared a P3130 yesterday and I chalked it up to the coolant reservoir being overfilled, it being 100 degrees out, and her pushing the car more then she should since their was turbulence in the reservoir and the pump was vibrating.

she took it for a drive today, after about 10 miles it died a block from her house and won't turn back on.
    the fuel gage blinks empty 5 times, go's solid 2 bars then blinks full bars.
    the MFD turns black when you hold the key to ignition and restarts when released.

I know on my 05 if its in accessory mode it will show the hybrid battery empty but I but i cant remeber if the 01-03 does that too.

the inverter side does make noise when turning the key to on.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Somebody mark the calendar ... this is one of the few times you'll actually see me joining in with the "maybe check the 12V battery voltage" chorus. :)

Also, the fuel gauge blink codes are explained in the repair manual too. I don't have them memorized, but I remember they're in there.

-Chap

3. Grim187

Grim187 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    that was the first thing I did, 339/438 cca @ 12.64v

edit: the only thing i can find in the manual is on page 90 and says there is a problem with the fuel system and to take it to the dealer; https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM47433U/pdf/OM47433U.pdf

#3 Grim187, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  4. Grim187

Grim187 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In the in the driver side fuse box under the hood I found am2 15a fuse blown, replaced it, drove the car 3ft and it blew again.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Disconnect the inverter coolant pump wiring harness connector and replace the AM2 fuse again. Make the Prius READY and drive the car more than three feet but not so far that the inverter/transaxle has a chance to overheat. If the fuse does not blow, then you know the pump motor has a short within, hence the pump needs to be replaced.

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  6. Grim187

Grim187 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes its the pump.
    I did what you suggested then plugged it back in to see if it would blow again and the pump started smoking.

I got a pump ordered, should be here next week.

Thank You for helping me figure it out.