1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'04/'05 OEM EV button won't fit '06!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by efusco, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It is a switch which allows you to temporarily prevent the gasoline engine from running so that the car will operated with the electric motor only.

There is a Search option in the upper right corner of this page. Select that and enter "EV" in the box which will open, hit Enter and you will be presented with many past lines of discussion on the subject. It is both interesting and controversial.

Allan de

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It's something that's available in Japan and Europe, but not in North America (although the software is there). When activated, if the conditions are right, the Prius will run on the battery alone for about a mile or so. Good for moving it around a parking lot or taking it out of the garage and into your driveway. When used correctly it can save some milage, but remember, the ICE will have to run at sometime to charge it back up.

There are 3 main ways to do it (all connect pin #27 to ground). There's the OEM button (which looks factory installed), the flasher stalk (the cheapest as it uses wire you supply) and from Coastal Tech (which connects to you cruise control stalk).

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Actually, IF Toyota wanted to crack down and find out who had the EV mod active, all they'd have to do is issue a Tech Bulletin that said whenever a Prius is brought in for any reason, to do the following tests...

1) Is there a button marked "EV" in the slot next to the dimmer? Yes/No
    2) Power up and put the MFD on display other than ENERGY.
    3) Pull flasher stalk. Does the screen go to ENERGY? Yes/No
    4) Repeat with the CC stalk for more than 2 seconds. Yes/No

If "Yes" to any, mark the "EV" box in the report.

That would get attached to your VIN so if the battery went out, there'd be a flag.

That's a very big IF and assumes that Toyota comes to sites like this as this is where the mods are discussed, so they'd know about the various methods. The way it is now, the techs either don't know, don't care, are interested or are installing them. :blink:

4. patcoghm

patcoghm Junior Member

Last I checked it wasn't certified by Coastal to work in the 2006. Thanks for the report

5. Mardikes

Mardikes New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Mar 8 2006, 03:34 PM) [snapback]222420[/snapback]</div>
    Good points. Question I have is whether Toyota would be able to tell from the stored information on the computer that there is a manual override of the normal start-up process. Would then need to do the physical test for these work arounds or could they just electronically check the computer memory.

George

6. MarcusII

MarcusII New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jan 2 2006, 09:33 AM) [snapback]182943[/snapback]</div>
    I have an '06 prius, and have installed the EV modification. It was very simple to install and I love it. This modification works as advertised. I'm not sure where the notion that you need a button for the EV modification to work on the 06 prius, but it does not, I activate mine using the cruise control lever arm. This installation took me 20 minutes to install and I was able to circumvent several steps of disassembling my dashboard as prescribed in the directions by using common sense. I would without qualification recommend this modification.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarcusII @ Apr 18 2006, 10:49 PM) [snapback]241907[/snapback]</div>

There is no "notion that you need a button", it is simply one of the available options. I prefer it. The button doesn't move when I turn the steering wheel and thus is always easy to activate. It looks like the button in the Japanese and EU cars, and just seems more intuitive to me. The CC stalk option is invisible, quick and easy to install and is a nice option for many. Others like to use their Headlight flasher and others a simple button from Radio Shack. No one is suggesting that a button must be used, but if one has chosen to use a button this thread was intended as a 'heads up' to not buy the button for the '04//'05 Prius if you own an '06 b/c it won't fit.

Glad you're happy with your mod.

8. quadling

quadling New Member

Speaking of Coastal, are they still in business? I've sent them several Emails asking about their 06 mods and they don't answer...

9. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Quadling @ May 24 2006, 06:24 AM) [snapback]260275[/snapback]</div>
    I really like my invisible Costal Mod and I don't regret it on either of my cars... the only thing about the steering wheel is that if you want to activate EV when you first get in, sometimes you may have the steering wheel turned cocky from your last parking job. In those cases it takes an extra 3 seconds to find it!

I never see a need or reason to activate it while turning the steering wheel.
    I do like the peace of mind of knowing someone at the dealer will not be raising eyebrowse at my extra button on the dash.

Its a matter of preference..... Like evan said, the install was super easy, thats one reason I liked it too.

10. yakkindoug

yakkindoug New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jan 2 2006, 11:33 AM) [snapback]182943[/snapback]</div>

11. yakkindoug

yakkindoug New Member

Just finished the Sigma EV button mod on '06. It worked like a champ! Took me 5 hours with a lot of head scratching. The sigma kit did not have the correct pin for the EV ECU plug. They gave me 5 female pins that fit the button (only four required for button) but these pins are much too big for the ECU plug. I went to radio shack and got a female D-sub connector as per an earlier post, soldered a 24 guage wire to it, and stuck it in the ECU plug. All the earlier post were right on.
    The '06 EV button has four pins. The two outside pins are the momentary switch for the EV mode and the two inside pins are for illumination. The second-from-top pin is the positive pin for illumination, the pin below is the negative for illumination.
    I wish I had a picture of the middle of the job when I had to run the wire across the dash. It seems like I had fully disassembled the dash. It looked a lot worse than it was. You only had to remove 2 screws to get every panel off the dash. Be careful because the plastic seemed fragile. Only use your hands. The A/C vents are best removed by pulling from the top in a manner that rotates the assembly around the bottom clips. Some clips had a plastic spring that enclosed the clipto keep it tight. It is easy for these to drop off behind the dash. If this happens, just tip the car on its rear bumper and shake vigorously. (Just kidding.)
    Please, people, disconnect the negative battery cable on the 12v battery. It is in the right rear under the rear deck behind the brake control box. Take out the plastic box that hold the jack and you will see it. Just pull on that little plastic carpeted piece that covers it up.

12. psibill

psibill Junior Member

Coastal EV only mode kit works on the '06.

:D

13. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jan 2 2006, 10:01 AM) [snapback]182962[/snapback]</div>
    How is delivery with Coastal Tech these days?

I tried to order the LockPick(I don't recall that it was called that then) from them some time ago. Got confirmation after a short time, several months later saw that the first orders had been shipped. I emailed them several times to ask about my order but never got a response and forgot about it.

Does their email work, and do you get better response/delivery on orders now?

Dave

P.S. This may all have happened after the date of your posting.

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Coastal's shipping is quite good IF they have the item in stock...usually next day it goes out. It's their customer service for items they don't have in stock that's the issue.

15. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 20 2006, 07:45 AM) [snapback]306230[/snapback]</div>
    Well I took a chance last weekend and ordered the EV Mode Kit from Coastal. UPS tracking indicates it's on the way and should arrive next Monday (Aug. 28).

For me, I'm curious as to how it will affect my around town driving of a mile or less. I intend to drive one way in EV mode, and the return trip (after the ICE would have normally cooled down anyway) in normal mode. As it is, if I don't take any into Spokane trips, my mileage drops at least 0.5 mpg, with every 1 mile trip. I believe that my around town mileage is only 35 mpg (even in summer) if I only drive around town. It's back up much closer to 50 mpg, if I include some trips to Spokane (15-20 away).

Dave

16. jamesleber

jamesleber New Member

I am still looking in to how this ev mode works and how it will benifit me. I will be wanting to buy a mode soon. Email me the price.

James

17. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What exactly does the Sigma kit for the '06 EV button include and what else is required to complete the install?

18. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ilusnforc @ Sep 23 2006, 11:17 AM) [snapback]323958[/snapback]</div>
    It includes the switch, a plug for the switch, 4 lengths of wire with pins already attached for the switch plug, and 1 length of wire with a pin attached for the ECU. You can read about my experience setting this up over here. I still need to iron out a few kinks... As for what else you need you'll want to pick up a pack of telephone wire tap connectors, a pack of telephone wire split connectors, and a spool of 22 gauge wire. Total cost (for me) ~$11 at my local Radio Shack. You will want to read my post though, because as far as I could tell there are no instructions anywhere for an 06, and it seems to be different than an 04/05.

19. erogla

erogla New Member

oh yah..this merits a 'sticky' and InTheWind's post on the tax credit question doesnt.? come on mods !

20. FUUFNF

FUUFNF Forum Lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've been searching around for the sigma ev button kit, but i can't seem to find one. i don't see any references to it on the http://www.sigmaautomotive.com website. does anyone have a link to where i can purchase one?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FUUFNF @ May 1 2007, 05:55 PM) [snapback]433627[/snapback]</div>
    nevermind. i found it as soon as i posted. :D