1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

04-05 Prius Glass Breakage Sensor (GBS) Installation Guide

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ericprius, Jan 13, 2005.

1. ericprius

ericprius Junior Member

Eddie Bell (Metro Toyota Parts) was kind enough to send the PDF of the installation guide for the 04-05 Prius Glass Breakage Sensor (GBS) to me, so I could install my kit. I know a couple of people have already asked me for it as they didn't get any instructions with their kit (Toyota doesn't seem to include them for some reason), so I figured I'd post it for everyone to download in case you need it. Enjoy!

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

This is great! Repair manual shows the GBS mode is already on by default, but it could be wrong.

Now I have some ammunition that it probably doesn't take 2 hours to change customized settings.

3. ericprius

ericprius Junior Member

Re: 04-05 Prius Glass Breakage Sensor (GBS) Installation Gui

GBS is off by default. I need to have my dealer enable it (installation was a very easy though.)

4. 1enigma1

1enigma1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Eric - can you respost with the attachment?

5. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes please repost the attachment. I would like to see whats involved before I buy one.

6. ericprius

ericprius Junior Member

2004-2005 Prius Glass Breakage Sensor Installation Guide (PDF Format)
    (Not for 2006 Prius)

7. ericprius

ericprius Junior Member

2006 Prius Glass Breakage Sensor Installation Guide (PDF Format)
    (Not for 2004-2005 Prius)

2006 Prius RS3200 Plus Security Alarm Installation Guide (PDF Format)
    (Not for 2004-2005 Prius)

8. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Doesn't look like a to bad of a job. Now I just need to order one :)

9. ericprius

ericprius Junior Member

I've installed the GBS for both the 2005 (a pain, but not hard) and 2006 (extremely easy) Prius. Actually, it's not hard to install, however you need to get your dealer to activate the GBS sensor. It requires the Toyota Diagnostics tool and can not be done without it. It's the only gotcha I've run into with installing these.

Good luck.

10. aaronw

aaronw Junior Member

I ordered a 2006 Prius last month and it should arrive in a couple weeks. The dealer tried to tell me that the anti-theft system wasn't included with the NL package I ordered when it appears it is. They wanted to sell me a $1200 security system for the car for the GBS. Sounds like I should see if I can change my order or just order the GBS and install it myself.

11. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Except for the harness wire routing, the installation instructions look identical to the previous version (2004/2005). Therefore, I would have to conclude that the alarm can be activated without the GBS and without having to remove that yellow wire, as it can with the 2004/2005.

Have the dealer technician follow steps 8a-k

12. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Does anyone know what the difference is between the anti-theft system and comes starting with package 5 and the 3200 Plus alarm? Thanks.

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

It adds GBS. Basically what the dealer is selling you is the GBS with additional instructions/steps to activate the already existing alarm. Otherwise it is the same, as all you are doing is activating the pre-existing hardware. As stated in earlier posts, if you don't care about GBS, you could follow the same steps that activate the alarm, and have alarm without adding any hardware.

14. linlsw

linlsw New Member

Anyone notices that within the "Conflicts" section on the 1st page of 2006 RS3200 installation guide states "Note: Do not install in vehicle with factory keyless entry"?

Any though? :huh:

Nelson

15. cbs4

cbs4 Member

The .pdf file instructions in this thread are broken.

Can someone point me to where I might find the 2006 instructions that ericprius posted in this quote:

I'd like to order the GBS for my 2006 NW (pkg #8) that has both the smart key system and the "Anti-theft System", but I am very confused about what is needed and not needed, and what is compatible.

On the one hand, the vehicle sticker states that I already paid for an "AntiTheft System" when I bought the car. On the other hand, the posts here imply that this anti theft system is not activiated until I buy something else, not sure what, that activiates it.

And then on the other hand, someone reports that these instructions say to not use the "something else" if you have a Smart Key system.

But on the other hand, there is confusion as to what the "something else" is... is it the "3200 security system" or is the the "glass breakage sensor" or is it both? Toyota accessories lists two type of alarms for the 2006 Prius.

But on the other hand (I'm running out of hands here), some Priuses come with anti theft systems... but are these alarms? Some do not. Those that do, are they dormant until programmed or activated?

I tried to avoid all of this mess by buying the fully optioned package 8, and it's frustrating to find that I maybe didn't get the functionality that I thought I was paying for. The icing on this sour cake is to discover how hard it is to determine which exact parts I have to "add" to make it work.

Please offer some guidance...

16. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cbs4 @ Nov 1 2006, 01:53 PM) [snapback]342057[/snapback]</div>
    No guidance on your questions, but here's the .pdf documents.
    Cheers

Attached Files:

17. cbs4

cbs4 Member

Thank you, GEOGEEK. Those links worked, and I've got 'em.

Wow, even more complicated than I thought, plus requires a dealership scan tool and software to enable.

Now, what I'd like to know is, who with a 2006 NWpkg8 has done this?

18. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cbs4 @ Nov 1 2006, 02:51 PM) [snapback]342099[/snapback]</div>
    I have. I have a package 7 but its all the same thing. You just have leather. The install of the GBS is very easy. That hard part is taking the car to the dealer to have them enable it and hope you you dont pay an arm and a leg for their time.

19. cbs4

cbs4 Member

Thanks Jay...

Thanks for piping up. What a coincidence, as I was just on your website earlier today, looking for pictures of your mods. I found plenty of pics from when you first bot the car, but no pics of your GBS install, JDM side marker install, or this and that. Did I miss a link?

Anyway, package 7 is great... that means we have the same electronics, so maybe you can clarify some of my concerns with your experience:

Did your factory alarm require dealership enablement also? Or just the GBS that you added?

Were there any issues with your Smart Key System? Do you have to press any additional buttons to arm or disarm the car, or can you just leave the key fob transmitter in your pocket all the time without touching it, as it was before installing the GBS?

How did you know which security system add on was the right one for your '06 p7 Prius? (ie, there are two different Toyota accessory alarms listed on metrotpn, as well as my local dealer)

Did you participate in the "group buy" of the GBS that I understand happened a while back at PriusChat?

How much did you pay for your GBS?

Does the "warn away" signal work, where if an intruder jostles or taps on the window, a warning sound happens?

Thanks!

20. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need to update my website. I'm just too lazy to do that right now.

I all ready had the factor alarm. It comes standard on a certain package and above. Just the GBS needed enabled.

No buttons to press. Just lock the car and if someone taps or brakes the glass the alarm goes off.

The part number is listed in the above attachments. If you order from the PC shop just select 2006.

I was the first one to buy the GBS from PC shop I think. Don't know about group buy.

I think I paid the $112 that is currently listed in the shop.

You have to tap the glass pretty hard on the default 9 setting but it does go off and I think it goes off for 30 sec unless you stop it.