1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

04 Broken auto leveling headlights - fixed!

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by joules, Nov 18, 2007.

1. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Re: Comments on my Dead Load Leveling Sensor

I had this warning pop up starting two weeks ago. It would be nice if the owner's manual told you what the problem is rather than "see your Toyota dealer". I guessed it was the HID auto leveler but I suspect a lot of people don't even know their car has such a thing. Anyway, it went on and off periodically. I found the 'how to fix it' instructions here (Thanks, as always!!) and froze my hands (20F plus wind) yesterday pulling it out of the car. The 2 bolts and 2 nuts were no problem (I was afraid they would be rusted tight) but dang that electrical connector is a bear to get off!

I cleaned out the 2 exceptionally rusted springs, they basically just crumbled. The third looked like it was new. It is amazing I didn't get the warning a long time ago. Car is 5 years old and nearing 100K miles plus I live in snow and salt country. There was also a little corrosion on one of the pins (both on the unit and in the connector).
    I made 2 new springs from the core of a piece of coax. The "Problem" didn't pop up when I left for the rink this morning (15 minutes driving) so I figured I was all set. However, it DID come on when I left the rink 2 hours later :(

The other thing I noticed, like Ken, was that the rheostat lever was a bit stiff, but it loosened up easily enough with a little cleaning. However, one of the ball bolts on the little strut was tight as could be. With a LOT of effort and oil, I managed to get it to move A LITTLE. The rubber boot has a tear in it, I imagine there is a lot of nastiness corroding inside. The ball on the other end is nice and loose. I suspect the rheostat lever doesn't move properly without both ends of the strut being able to rotate. Of course, given how tight it is, it isn't something that just happened.

Regardless of the fix for the springs, I want to replace the strut as I don't think the ball bolt is a "user replaceable" part . Does anyone know the part number or what search words I should use so I can see where I can get the best price?

2. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

Bummer, no answer to the part number request.

The only thing I have found is the bracket, sensor AND the piece with the ball screws as a single PN for nearly $300. The bracket that attaches to the rear axle is about $10. Surely they don't think people should have to pay $300 when they only need a piece, EASILY removed from that upper bracket, that should cost maybe $20.

On the plus side (knock on wood) the warning has not come back since the trip from the rink to work the day after I cleaned the sensor and replaced 2 springs.

3. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

If you still need them I can give you the mechanical parts from my old unit. (You will need a working sensor to connect to them.) If so, PM me.

4. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Re: 04 Broken auto leveling headlights - fixed!

Update: I stopped at the Toyota dealer - the parts guy checked his listings, they do NOT sell the strut with the ball joint bolts separately. $390 (parts, not installation) for the upper bracket, electrical parts and what kenmce referred to as the 'dogleg' strut (in a PM) that I need. They sell the bracket that mounts on the rear axle separately (~$15), they sell the bolts that hold the upper bracket individually, they sell the nuts that hold the dogleg on individually, but NOT the dogleg. One can buy the $390 part from http://www.toyotapartszone.com for a 'mere' $270 but how Toyota can justify not selling a part that is connected by only 2 nuts separately is beyond me.

Thankfully, kenmce has offered me the dogleg from his replaced unit. The other viable option is to buy a sealed ball joint and thread or weld it to the end of the OEM part after cutting off the old one. I'm not sure WHERE they sell them locally, but this site:
    Ball Joint, Male, Din Metric -- Midwest Control Products Corp. sells them for about $5

5. edh53

edh53 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same probelm and about to pull and try to repair the sending unit as described elsewhere--thanks to all for the info.
    it occurs to me that if the sensor is unsalvageable, there ought to be a way to rewire it so that it does not lower the HID headlights to their lowest setting as a default. If one could rig it so that the lights default to a still-usable level this would be helpful. Yes, one would not have levelling headlights then, but since I do not load the Prius (I have a rav and a minivan for hauling crowds and cargo), it should not be an issue to have the headlights "stuck" their normal operating level. If anyone is an electrical wiz and has a mod for that, it would be helpful.
    Thanks again to all who have posted on this topic, it's very helpful!

6. larry9901

larry9901 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

i have the same issue and wish there was a way to bypass it to eliminate the warning symbol.

I have mine out now and just manually aimed the headlights to the correct level

7. rroar

rroar New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I followed the suggestions to repair the unit after learning the price for what seems like a $50 part.
    My springs were corroded slightly and sanding the springs did not fix the problem. The suggestion for ballpoint pen springs is brilliant and works great along with the dieelectric grease. we checked conduction with a voltmeter and reassembled - works like new.
    The unit is a rheostat and there isn't a bypass so use the ballpoint springs and you'll be happy. I also coated the outside with some silicone to hopefully seal it permanently.

8. BassInstinct

BassInstinct Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four

BIG Caveat....

Once inside the leveling unit DO NOT sand down the contacts on the plastic cover. Doing so will render the unit inoperable. Instead use your thumb to brush away the corrosion/dust.

My friend now has an expensive paperwweight that resembles an auto leveling unit :-(

9. kueker87

kueker87 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Just purchased a 2005 Prius from a Toyota dealer a few days ago with 115,00 miles. The warning light came on yesterday with the self-leveling warning light. I noticed the lights didn't go too far out, but it didn't cause me too big of a concern. I checked up the forums and now see the chances of the springs being corroded are fairly likely. Should I try and fix this myself?

10. Dannyselder

Dannyselder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I'm uploading a monster (1.8gb) video to youtube showing my problem. I've got a 2010 with 9,000 mi on it, its all but new albeit its a wrecked california car but the left light levels up when you turn it on and stays there for a few seconds, then goes back down farther than the right, pointing too low ( i run my fog lights all the time so I can see, its that bad) but during this time, the right does nothing. I thought if my sensor was bad, which It very well could be from the sounds of things, shouldn't both of them level badly? The right doesn't make any noise, the left you can hear the motor moving them up and down. Something could be unplugged somewhere but I haven't dug deep enough to see. Until I do, everyone give me some thoughts if you would. Watch my little 7min video (I'll post the link) and tell me what you know if you would. Where they plug in at the light, and anywhere in-between the sensor and the light. The right could have come unplugged I suppose and should be leveling badly also. Link to come and thanks in advance for your knowledge and ideas. Dan.

11. Dannyselder

Dannyselder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

It won't let me post the link cause I'm new. sorry for the padding... post 2

12. Dannyselder

Dannyselder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

ha, and 30 sec between them. post 3

13. Dannyselder

Dannyselder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  14. Dannyselder

Dannyselder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

post 5. Here it is. Thanks again, all.

15. Butlern

Butlern New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Kenmce, Not sure how to PM another member, so I thought I'd post here. Saw your offer to let go of a used/disabled vehicle height assy (self leveling headlights). I have a broken connector arm that needs to be replaced and I would prefer not to spend $300 on this cheap nylon part. This is the arm that runs from the assy to the rear axle control arm. If you still have the unit, please shoot me an email ([email protected]). I, too, have a 2005 Prius. Thanks! Noah

16. kenmce

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    How much effort are you willing to put into it?

If you feel comfortable doing so, then sure. If it has stopped working, then the worst thing that can happen is that it stays the way you found it.

Yes. It sends the same signal to both of them, they should both respond the same. The left beam may be meant to aim lower than the right so as to not blast oncoming traffic. It might help to pull up next to another HID Prius and compare lights.

My first guess also. I've never been in there, so can't advice.

Sorry, gave the entire assembly to bruceha_2000.

17. mikemcmo

mikemcmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    >> Does anyone else's Prius do the level thing when turning on the HIDs? Thanks.

4 years later, I can answer, if you're still around. My headlight levelling sensor just died and gave me the warning light on the MFD. I never noticed before, but I start the car, and the headlights tilt up to provide a reasonable range. Then 5 seconds later, they tilt down and light up a spot 20 feet in front of the car. Evidently the default, when the sensor is out, is to go down to this lowest position. Seems like it ought to be a recall item, since it then becomes a safety issue.

18. Martin Daugherty

Martin Daugherty New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have read this chat re: HID leveling thoroughly. However, I have not seen how this whole system works explained.

Does the control sensor located near the rear axle send a signal to the headlamp leveling motors and they change the height of the light when it is incorrect?

Can the light leveling motors malfunction and provide the same malfunction light on the dash as a bad control sensor?

Thanks folks, you provide really important information here.

19. Martin Daugherty

Martin Daugherty New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    PS 2004 Prius, 237,000 miles and going strong.

20. kenmce

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    My understanding is that when the car starts up this sensor tells the car how high or low the back of the car is sitting (presumably due to heavier or lighter loads in the back) and adjusts the lights to compensate. When the back of the car is low on the springs the entire front of the car (including the headlights) will be aimed extra high, because the car will pivot on its front axle. The HIDs are painfully bright when misaimed, so this sensor keeps them from being aimed way up high when you carry something heavy. The sensor is not able to tell if you are going up or downhill, so it does nothing to compensate for that.

Don't know.